Citizenship application and work permit delays

Hi,

Does anyone have some advice on how to go about sorting a citizenship application and a work permit issue that has taken 3 years at immigration?  Either the file 'goes missing' or something else but there is always an excuse and time is running out.

Best regards,

Sorry I can't say how to get things moving, I am in a simular position, all they say is be patient, but for how long, it's a big problem.

Thanks Francis J,
I wonder whether there is anyone in this network with some link there or works there.  How '$$$$$$' is how to read the 'long' word :).

Best regards,

I may be able to assist in knowing the true status but sorting it out would be a different matter all together

@Cosmos Kamuyu

Can you provide the information the OP is seeking ??
If not please do not post here.

Matsaisi, thanks am thinking though why don't you generally explain how it works and what delays might be from your experience and knowledge.

May I ask is there a time limit before the immigration file is expired

Immigration applications have been taking a long time, and I understand that there was a period of time when they weren't being processed.

I am wondering which application is more urgent - surely the work permit application hasn't been pending for 3 years?

In my opinion, you will be unable to progress this without, either; engaging an immigration lawyer.  The one I know of is 'Fathershand Ltd'.  They claim that they can process citizenship applications in around 9 months and do not bribe, but their charges are considerable.  Alternatively, it is useful to know someone who has contacts within Nyayo House. 

Unfortunately, neither application is likely to progress without a sizeable bribe.  It is wrong and it may not be something that you want to do, but it is the reality, especially as Immigration officers know only too well how much foreigners want these permits.  Once 'Chai' has been discussed and agreed, the 'missing file' will miraculously turn up

Personally it has been hard also for me and as far as I know for most of the expat which are not connected to any NGO or ONU stuff.

My two cents are, never trust anyone who tells you that can do magic and especially don't trust lawyers, unless recommended by really close and trustworthy friends, mostly because they tend to hyper inflate their fees especially if you looks desperate.

Lastly my last VISA renovation has been followed by a very good services company based in Nairobi and called Langata Link (http://langatalink.com/) which has been recommended by some friends of mine.
Try to contact them and see if they can help you in some way.

Thanks all....clearly this is an uphill task...does anything work in Kenya? am Kenyan btw :)

gbella
If you were originally Kenyan but lost citizenship due to taking citizenship of another country (due to marriage ?) when Kenya did not allow dual citizenship - you need to go to emigration and progress your application. You have a reference number get them to check that it's in the system. I was told that Kenyans reapplying to regain Kenyancitizenship had priority over others.

Gbella; of course the system works, but like many machines, oil is required to help it to work!!  Unfortunately officials know that applicants really want the permits etc for which they are applying.  Therefore, they are as obstructive as possible to those who do not want to bribe.  Some progress has been made, by making the passport application online only, but as most applications for permits, passes, citizenship are still manual, there remains a rich seam of bribery opportunities - the the amounts are now quite steep.

Yes, its a relatively straightforward process to regain your citizenship, but also be aware that the law states that you should make the declaration within 3 months of gaining dual citizenship - the fine for not doing this is a potential 5 million shillings!  In reality, so many things to do with immigration have been and still are 'up in the air', this doesn't seem to have been applied.  However, if this is what you are pursuing, then it is worth getting some independent advice.

You can also declare and apply for dual citizenship at a Kenyan Embassy/High Commission.