Moved to Cancun one month ago.

From U.S.A.   Was living in Montego Bay Jamaica for 8 mos. Came to Mexico to stay.Starting out in Cancun.

Very affordable to live here on Social Security. Don't like the city(Centro) much. Too noisy, car pollution. Will probably move soon, if I can find a woman to settle down with.

Don't know much Spanish. Problem sometimes. People are friendly and helpful. Weather is pleasant, a little cool at night. Must be the season.

Keep your $ in a bank in the states. Had a problem. Left ebit card in ATM. They don't speak English in the banks where I am. No help at all.

Phone service is cheap. $7.00 USD a mo. gets you unlimited calls and text to Mexico, U.S. and Canada.

About $20.00-30.00 for data plan. About $30.00 for internet-wi-fi.

Food is cheap also. I eat out 3 meals a day for about 10.00-12.00  a day.

Anyone on a S.S. budget can live decently here. Rents are cheap.

I have a studio apt. for $150.00 a month. Rents are different in other areas, depending on what you want to spend.

Overall, It's great living here and afforable.

I left my debit card in an ATM in a bus terminal 30 miles from home.
Since no unauthorized activity appeared on my account I decided to cancel the card instead of going back or calling the bank that owned the ATM.

For $20.00, my US bank will UPS my new card within 5 working days.  If I absolutely have to withdraw cash before the debit card arrives, I can use my credit card for an advance.  The transaction fee is nominal and I'll pay the loan back immediately by electronic payment from my checking account.

Just lazy, I guess.

What you write about costs is quite true.  I'm renting a very nice modern, well maintained 1 bedroom apartment all utilities included with cable and Internet for around $250/mo.

What you write about Social Security may have to be qualified.  If your check is really small  but you have a situation in the states where you share expenses with a relative or good friend, you may find living in Mexico as a single for what you can afford to be pretty primitive.

Is there a question in there somewhere ? 
Yes, it is cool because of the time of year, that will change before too long. You are aware it's a tourist city I assume, and given that you have a phone you should call your bank. In your spare time you might want to learn some Spanish, although given that it is a tourist town many of the hotels , restaurants and stores have at least one person who speaks and or understands English. Good luck on the finding a woman part, there will be more tourists landing soon.

I canceled card. Bank of america will only send new card by regular mail. to Mexico they told me. Still waiting 2 weeks later.

I don't live in hotel zone and don't want to . Too many touristas for my liking.

Best thing about the Banamex debit card is you can't receive the cash until you retrive your card.I also left a compass card in a machine inside the soriana,Somebody turned it in to the manager and I got it back.

You were lucky. I went back 5 min. later and it was gone.

bassman11 wrote:

I canceled card. Bank of america will only send new card by regular mail. to Mexico they told me. Still waiting 2 weeks later.

My card is a Bank of America card.  I had to use insistence to get the CSR to give me the option to pay for UPS.  I explained that mail to Mexico can take up to 3 months.  I had a one page letter sent Air Mail from Chicago that took 84 days.  I'm not sure why they train their CSR's that way.

I just guess I've been around long enough to get insistent when the solution offered is just unworkable.  Their call center is in the Philippines and they have customers all over the world.  I called in on a number for overseas customers.  You'd think they'd take that into consideration.

Good luck.  I wish I had known of the problem before you called BofA.  You might just try calling back with the new info.  Although after 2 weeks, the card must have gone out already.  They'll be unhappy to cancel that one and send another.  Be insistent that you can't wait 90 days.

thanks. I aready complained and they sent me another one. Supposidly 4-7 days. Still waiting. They will western union me my cash if card does'nt come by feb. 3rd. day of aoto deposit. Thanks for your info. Things are quite different here. Takes adjustment and patience. Jamaica was worse. Time stands still there. They still live with like 15 yr. old technology.

Patience is the first survival tool in Mexico.
Just a few words of Spanish can go along way.
Good morning, afternoon, night.
I don't speak Spanish
And of course, please and thank you.
All spoken with a smile.
Likely there people around you who work at hotels, restaurants and bars and interact with Americans and do speak basic English.  It would be worth your while to see if you can make contact.

Taking a course in Spanish will definitely be worthwhile.

Take care.

Santander bank  Affiliates with B of A. The regular mail takes about a month. My new credit card was fedexed in two days. If I were you I would be looking for another bank to do business with. There are a number of banks with foreign bases operating in Mexico. In fact most of the banks are noT Mexican banks.

"There are five major banks in Mexico: Bancomer (which is owned by BBVA in Spain), Banamex (which is owned by CitiBank and Group of USA), Banco Santander (which is partially owned by Bank of America), HSBC, and Banorte." HSBC is British, and Banorte is actually a Mexican bank. 
I have an account in a Mexican bank and a U.S. account, both have worked smoothly.

Hi. I am pretty sure Mexico requires a SS check of $1,100 to enter the country. So if you get just $680 or $728, $780 etc. you can not enter and stay.

THANKS. I DONT HAVE THAT PROBLEM.

952craig20 wrote:

Hi. I am pretty sure Mexico requires a SS check of $1,100 to enter the country. So if you get just $680 or $728, $780 etc. you can not enter and stay.

Are you talking about a more long term visa ? because when you just fly into Mexico they don't inquire about your finances, and a visitors visa is usually good for 6 months (180 days). You don't get into income unless you apply for a temporary visa. That would require that you apply in a consulate in the U.S. , or whatever country you live in.

I have had no problem with BofA.  They've treated me well for about 20 years now.  This expediting a replacement card hiccup is the only complaint I've had.  Not hardly fatal.

In 7 years, I have had no need of a local bank account, much less a credit card.

You are going to pay a commission for the foreign exchange one way or another.  When you receive a dollar deposit or at the ATM when you withdraw from a US account.

I'm just comparing experiences.What my financial institution did compared to what his bank with a Mexican affiliate did.

As for 2 accounts, I don't subscribe to all the eggs in one basket theory. I know it makes little difference in costs, but it provides back up . If something causes the internet to go down for a couple of days and I need money, I know exactly where to go, and I will be walking right in with no need for the ATM.

And don't forget if you have more than $100 000 you can brush all the peasants aside and just go to hatch number one.No standing in line.wonder how that would go over with their American affiliates,

Are you talking pesos or dollars ? $100,000 in either dollars or pesos will open more doors in both countries. Don't kid yourself that, that is only true in Mexico. The difference is that it takes less money to have that impact in Mexico vs the U.S.

I'm honestly glad that you seem up to this point to have had an incident free Mexican banking experience.I would advise,and I'm almost positive that the majority of posters would agree with me here,that the less you have to deal with Mexican banks the better.By Mexican banks I mean banks in Mexico.That is prudent advise.

That would seem to argue against a Mexican bank account.

Visa advertises you can go to the counter at any bank and get a cash advance.

Not in Mexico, you have to use the ATM.

If I have an account in that bank, I can most certainly take money out of that account, How does that "argue against" having an account in a Mexican bank ? The scenario I described was no internet for a couple of days, many American banks have periods where they are "upgrading the system" and are not accessible on line for a couple of days I've experienced this with one of my former big U.S. banks. That would interfere with using your visa for cash, and the ATM for cash.   or the bank security system might refuse your card because they feel it's suspicious that you are still in Mexico ( I have experienced this also).  That is one of the reasons I also have a Mexican bank account.

You can use a Visa card at any bank's ATM that has the Visa symbol anywhere in the world.  Pretty much the same for MasterCard.

Even in a city like Coatepec with only about 50,000 people, it's highly unlikely that all ATMs in town will be down at the same time.  The Chedraui here has ATM's from 4 different banks.  Aurrera about the same.  Both are in different parts of town from where the banks are, en el centro.

Apart from the card that I left at the bus station, I have two other cards on which to get cash or buy things.

In 7 years in Mexico, I have never had the Internet go out for more than 8 hours and that only once.  The other few times were for only a few minutes.

The place where I live has routers for two ISP's.  I have access to both.  One of them has always been up.  I have a data plan with Movistar and I always have 4 bars here.

In an emergency, I could get more cash than I can conceive of needing.

I pay my bills well ahead of the due date so the Internet going down for several days won't be a burden.

I thought of this 7 years ago before moving to Mexico.

I believe I'm covered as well as I can.

BTW, I spend only about $600USD worth in Pesos monthly and that's usually one withdrawal at the bank.  I get about the same rate of exchange with the credit card for purchases as from the bank.

That's my situation and I'm comfortable with it.

Hiccup of lost debit card and all.

I'm not criticizing your choice.  It obviously works for you.

Regards.

I was in Mexico from 82-85.  That's when the Mexican government turned all dollar denominated accounts into peso accounts overnight at the beginning of a period of 100% inflation and more a year.

I don't suppose they dollar accounts anymore.

I deal in pesos, and like you take out what I need once or twice. My Mexican bank can provide dollars if I need them, which I did when I went to Belize. You obviously feel comfortable with what you are doing.

The banks that were not available, or refusing service because of security fears were AMERICAN. not Mexican banks. I have had no problem using banks in Mexico, or total loss of internet in Mexico, just the U.S..

From what you are all saying, the minimum the government requires to get a long term temp visa is a livable amount for a modest normal person (one bedroom, no car lifestyle). Does that seem about right? I know people live differently and all, but a one bedroom apartment existence here in Winston-Salem, NC, would not be possible with that minimum.

I am surprised Cancun be lived in for that little. Figured it would be much more expensive.

It can be done.  Taxis are relatively cheap even in Cancun.  Then there's city bus, cheaper, and walking if you're not too far from the places you go.

What he is talking about Nikolas is nowhere near the tourist areas, or likely the beach. Which is why it is less expensive.

As for temporary resident financial requirements , my advice would be to check with the nearest Mexican consulate near you in NC. Things are in flux, and will likely continue to be so, as the new government adjusts and changes what they want to change.

Yes, the cost are those for living away from the hotel and restaurant areas.  Where Mexicans live.  As far as meeting requirements for a temporary resident permit, no matter what you see on the Internet, it is always best to check with the office that will process your paperwork if you decide to proceed, it's their rules and requirements you'll have to follow to get the visa that gets you the right to enter Mexico for the purpose of getting residency.

In your case, that should be Raleigh.

Yes, per your comment,  I just looked at the Raleigh consulate website and for temporary resident visa it asks for $25,000usd in savings or a monthly pension income of $1,500usd during the last six months, noting that amounts may vary according to the current exchange rate.

nikolas4squid wrote:

Yes, per your comment,  I just looked at the Raleigh consulate website and for temporary resident visa it asks for $25,000usd in savings or a monthly pension income of $1,500usd during the last six months, noting that amounts may vary according to the current exchange rate.

That sounds about right.  Going in and  talking to someone may reveal changes that haven't been updated.

I am only a month away from my Zacatecas trip, but about a year, year and a half to my retirement. When do you suggest I go to speak to the folks in Raleigh?

nikolas4squid wrote:

I am only a month away from my Zacatecas trip, but about a year, year and a half to my retirement. When do you suggest I go to speak to the folks in Raleigh?

You'll need 6 months of proof of income.  I'm guessing you can't use pre retirement income.

Even so, I don't think it can hurt to talk face to face as soon as you retire and know for sure what your retirement will be, maybe on paper even.

I believe the monthly income requirement is right but I believe the latest figure for savings is more than $100 000 Us dollars.Im got that information from the late Rolly Brock's web page which had been updated after the change in requirements of 2012

I thought that savings point was for those applying for a permanent residency visa?

Im sorry,my mistake i though thats what was being discussed.

Nik,if you can squeeze in time for a trip to Morelia while your in Zacatecas i Highly reccomend it.Direct by bus 5 hour trip.

I've been looking it up on the web, and it seems a nice looking place. I am going to try to go this time around, and if it doesn't fit in this time, then it will on the next trip.  Sounds that you really like it, SB. What in particular appeals to you?

Morelia is definitely worth a look.  It's a big city with the corresponding congestion downtown.  Residential neighborhoods away from downtown are much quieter.

For a smaller city that seems well run and easy to get around, Zamora, Michoacan may be worth a look.  It's an easy 2.5 hour bus ride from Morelia on Primera Plus for 300 pesos one way.  You won't find many/any Americans but there are a surprising number who have been to the states for several years and returned.

They want to see 12 months now,  not six, and what they want to see is proof of income . That would mean a copy of you SSI or Pension verification, and bank statements going back for a year showing you have that coming in consistently. This is current information as of this past October 2015. On the mexican side they want to see that you have a place to live in Mexico.

nikolas4squid wrote:

You don't need proof of income to just visit. you can just get a visitors visa and stay 180 days if they grant you that much and they usually do. The proof of income is related to longer temporary visas. Which is it you are looking for ?  a short visit or long term.

I suggest you just come and look around , decide where you want to be then talk to the consulate when you get back to the states.

As for Morelia, I was there recently and it has changed  a lot, not for the better. I would have quickly recommended it in the past but would not be quick to do so now.