Best cities to live in Bulgaria

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Bulgaria. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Bulgaria.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

Well, for me its Sofia for the work and if you are retiring then my vote would go to VT and surrounding areas .

Sofjia and Plovdiv, definitely for work opportunities; south east if you like wine

Before coming to Bulgaria I wrote down a few things that I needed or wanted to achieve, such as close to the Black Sea, and close to major shopping outlets. Also easy access to air and rail services.

Fulfilling these options narrowed the search to a handful of prospective cities. And the city that jumped off the paper was Varna.

Retrospectively I think my choice of moving to Varna was a good one. And although I've only lived here for 12 months, I can't think of any major change that would affect my first choice.

Starla Zagora would be my recommendation: Opera, Soccer, art and archeological museums, and half-way between the Black Sea and Sofia. On the south side of a nice mountain range. And just over a hill from a hot-spring resort with great hotels and many fairs and concerts in the summer.
Don't know much about the night-life, but a wonderful downtown, fruit and veggie market; and European chain stores.
See you there!
Gary

Stay away from Plovdiv region , huge polution one of the most in Europe

Every large city in Bulgaria offers something different. Personally, I dislike large cities (I live in Gabrovo and am moving out to a village someday) but if I were to live in a city here it would definitely be Plovdiv. I lived on the outskirts of Plovdiv for 2 years, and it was fantastic. Decent nightlife, warm, welcoming people, and a small town vibe with all of the necessary amenities. Culture, active counter culture and just a hop away from some of the most beautiful parts of the mountains.

Looks like everyone is familiar with the big cities in Bulgaria and their advantages/disadvantages. So I will recommend a number of smaller ones, each of them having unique atmosphere and environment.

1. Sandanski - I've placed it first because of the excellent climate, very good for lungs related health problems, mineral waters and environmentally clean area. It is also close to mountains and ski resorts. Relatively.
2.  Sapareva Banja - again climate, mineral water springs, mountains, and relatively close to Sofia, very clean area
3. Kiustendil - mineral waters, climate, very low prices, clean area, close to Sofia
4. Hissaria - famous mineral water resort, clean area, close to Plovdiv and airport, close to mountains, Central Bulgaria
5. Pomorie - sea and recreation resort, close to Burgas and the airport, clean area, good climate
6. Varshetz - mineral water and recreation resort, very clean area, mountains

That's a good start. Surely not the regular approach - Sofia - Plovdiv - Varna-Tarnovo, which I personally find a bit strange.

After visiting several areas all around bulgaria, we finally chose a little village 6 miles from chirpan. Can get to the house from Plovdiv airport in under an hour which was an essential thing for us travelling to and from the uk. I've joined the ladies club and we've been made very very welcome. Got badly let down last year with a builder, left with no electricity and half finished jobs. Wanted to walk away from it all as we got very despondent. Decided to grit our teeth and crack on tho and can see big improvements.  Not too sure about employment as we want to semi-retire there when I leave work in a couple of years. Don't think there's much in the way of work for non-Bulgarians anyway. Altogether a lovely country, but watch out for the Sharks as in all places!

Chirpan area is a nice place. Hot summer and relatively cold winter. Predominantly flat. Famous for its tasty vegetables ... and good wine.
Except for this, people there are very nice. You can count on them.
Re airports - yes, Plovdiv is quite close, and so is Bourgas airport. Sofia is some 2 hours drive - just highway.
Re construction workers - just smile and go ahead. Even Bulgarians have the same problems with some builders. There's one golden rule:

NEVER PAY ALL THE MONEY IN ADVANCE! :))

If you leave 30 - 50 % of the total amount for after the work is done, then everything will be o.k. And before all - find a trustworthy builder. Otherwise you might end up with s.o. drunk all day.

Work in Bulgaria?  Have you checked the unemplyment statistics ??

Yes you can work from here, but better either start sth. yourself or find an online job. Your chances of getting a job in Bulgaria in this specific moment are not very big.

Thank you. We have friends in the village who keep a close eye on the property for us. Yes we made the silly mistake of sending a huge chunk of cash. No receipts or anything ever produced. Oh well. A lesson well learnt, albeit an expensive one!  Still love the country and lifestyle in Bulgaria.

Hi Gary please i would like more info where to buy an looking for a place for a retreat ..where would you recommend ..