Tourist visa, purchasing property

Hello,

I was wondering if one can purchase property on a tourist visa before applying for a temp? If so, does this affect which visa one is eligible for?

Thanks.

Yes you can purchase property here while on vacation if you please. And no it won't affect your visa status.

Yes and not related to a Visa in any way

sparksmex wrote:

Yes and not related to a Visa in any way

So if we were to purchase a property on a tourist visa, would you then apply for a temp residency visa from Mexico or here in Canada? Also, I was told that if you own a house there, it would be an easier process in obtaining the temp because of that fact. Not sure really anymore.

Hi my name is Violeta and I am immigration lawyer if you will live in mexico with your own resources go to Mexican consulate in your state and they give you visa to live in mexico but you can not work. xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please register in the business directory if you are proposing your services as a professional. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

What does one then do to live there forever?

The most common way is to get a temporary resident visa each year for four year.
Then get a permanent residence visa.
The nearest Mexican Consulate can fill you in on the procedures and costs.

Neither of those visas allow you to work for wages or salary.
If you are working for your own "company" that's likely to be easier.
Again, the consulate can fill you in on the details.

I hesitate to go into more detail since rules vary by consulate and the immigration office in Mexico where you will report initially on arrival in Mexico.

Perhaps someone with recent experience can supply current info for the consulate and immigration office they used.

Just to make this as mundane as possible, 8 years ago I started at the Mexican Consulate in Las Vegas, NV and went from there.  Call, ask as many questions as they'll stand for, then make an appointment to see them in person to ask about procedures and requirements.  As far as I know there are consulates in Ottawa and Calgary.  You can find addresses and phone numbers on Google Maps.

Marry an handsome Mexican man.  Men here very family oriented. True.  But also trying some humor.
It is more complicated now.
As for myself having a corporation and a property, I was told recently by my local accountant, that if I sell, I cannot stay in Mexico eve though I have permanent residence. I am very sad. And have no strength to start all over.

Your accountant's advice just doesn't sound correct.
Check with the INM if you want to stay.

Launia Tate Sullivan wrote:

Marry an handsome Mexican man.  Men here very family oriented. True.  But also trying some humor.
It is more complicated now.
As for myself having a corporation and a property, I was told recently by my local accountant, that if I sell, I cannot stay in Mexico eve though I have permanent residence. I am very sad. And have no strength to start all over.

That sounds phony, though it may depend on how many years you've been here already.  Four or more, I'm guessing you're set.
Check with INM.

Even Immigration says same thing.  Lawyer says noway. Accountant says same as immigration.
I am tired of always trying to understand when we try our best to respect the laws in Mx and US.
Maybe getting to old that that challenge

Even Immigration says same thing.  Lawyer says noway. Accountant says same as immigration.
I am tired of always trying to understand when we try our best to respect the laws in Mx and US.
Maybe getting to old that that challenge

That's a real downer.
What would prevent you from doing the 6 month shuttle?  Go to Belize when the Tourist Card expires, turn right around and get a new 6 mo. Tourist Card.  Many people do that.  One even wrote they were able to turn in the expired card and get a new one without leaving the country

We have been here since 2006, with all the fm3 and fm2 and legal stuff.
I frel my accountant made a mistake when resquesting the permanent residence status, that cost me a lot of money

The problem comes when I sell my property that is under a corporation sa de cv...
I know.... The wrong choice in 2006 and with an acct here and one in the states..
Because a mx corporation has to be declared to irs.And yourself
How are you?

This is something I would have always avoided, the uncertaintly of the back and forth.
May be too many years around the world working and living and dealing with immigration.
Before I had all my docs, i passed the border and got 30 days, my husband would 180.
Just sad that after ten years of good will, today we do not know.
It is not our presentation or our funds, it is may be a wrong click on a box.
For doing what you advise, yes it is  a good idea. But I would not want to stay in Chetumal.
This is good when were near border towns. We would not travel back to USA since we have nothing there but our bank and tax irs stuff... Not healthcar and my husband is not well.
This is not to complain but make people aware that retiring demands a lot of research if we want to do it in Belize or Mexico. I have been a total adventurist all along my life but learn a lesson these last ten years... With Mexican laws changing and and.

We have been here since 2006, with all the fm3 and fm2 and legal stuff.
I frel my accountant made a mistake when resquesting the permanent residence status, that cost me a lot of money

FM2 was the equivalent of Residente Permanente.  That FM2 gave you the same status as Residente Permanente.  I doubt that makes a difference.

You have been a legal resident of Mexico twice as long as you need to become a Mexican citizen.  It takes a year or more but it might put a stop on getting expelled.

I have no business experience in Mexico except working for a big company on an FM2 30 years ago.  I'm floored that the ownership of a business is a condition now unless maybe it was a condition for the FM2.

I don't own a business.  as I understand it, they have no grounds for deporting me unless I fail to be able to support myself.  I'm doing quite nicely on Social Security and private pensions.  I don't to have to work again.

I wish you luck resolving the problem.

gudgrief wrote:

FM2 was the equivalent of Residente Permanente.  That FM2 gave you the same status as Residente Permanente.  I doubt that makes a difference.

This is the equivalence chart of the various Mexican visas/permits. FM2 and FM3 were combined into the RT

Visitante - FMM - FMT
Residente Temporal - No Inmigrante - FM3
                                         Inmigrante - FM2
Residente Permanente - Inmigrado

joaquinx wrote:
gudgrief wrote:

This is the equivalence chart of the various Mexican visas/permits. FM2 and FM3 were combined into the RT

Visitante - FMM - FMT
Residente Temporal - No Inmigrante - FM3
                                         Inmigrante - FM2
Residente Permanente - Inmigrado

I missed that distinction.  But under the new rules she would have been an Inmigrado, over 5 years as an Inmigrante.

Can you offer anything that explains on what basis they get to deport her if she sells he home even though she's a Residente Permanente?

Either she misunderstood the accountant or the accountant knows very little about visas. I'm surprised that she did not seek the advise of INM. My understanding is that ownership of property has nothing to do with INM.

joaquinx wrote:

Either she misunderstood the accountant or the accountant knows very little about visas. I'm surprised that she did not seek the advise of INM. My understanding is that ownership of property has nothing to do with INM.

That's what I thought.

She wrote that INM confirms her lawyer and accountant.  I suggested she seek an immigration lawyer in a larger city.

I'm at wits end. It appears that she did not qualify for a visa based on income to begin with and her purchase of property did qualify her. If she sells the property, she will not have the income qualifications for residency.

It's fun dealing with a lack of complete information so we can just speculate on the outcome.

joaquinx wrote:

I'm at wits end. It appears that she did not qualify for a visa based on income to begin with and her purchase of property did qualify her. If she sells the property, she will not have the income qualifications for residency.

It's fun dealing with a lack of complete information so we can just speculate on the outcome.

Once you gain Residente Permanente, it's permanent without income considerations.  Wasn't that true of Inmigrado?

gudgrief wrote:

Once you gain Residente Permanente, it's permanent without income considerations.  Wasn't that true of Inmigrado?

That would seem to be the case, but as I said we are missing a few facts. I never made it to Inmigrado, I made it to Inmigrante and then INM offered me a Permanente.

I am very smart and careful but ad you know things do not always develop as we think.
I understood the accountant perfectly and the officer who gave me my residence permanent.
It cost me a lot of money may be be because, it started wrong here, with the corporation instead of a fedeicomiso. I started in 2006, until last year with all the Fm.s ...
New laws havr come into the picture as you know.
Being the"president" per say of the corporation, I was even removed by the IMSS of their health care.
I think it all depends where we live may be.
My situation now . i want to sell my property and in consequence close the corporation. Pay my taxrs in Mexico and in USA to the IRS and then move on.
The situation has been clearly explained to me at immogration that when i close the corporation i need the process of immigration all over.
After ten years here, I am really tired of trying hard to respect all the laws and if I need to start all over. i will move to Brlize and start all over in Belize but at least it will be new

Joaquim. Your pointmight  be right.
Opening a corporation because of our choice to get land on the coast.
May be that is the situation. Based on the corporation.
What is sas is that I brought a lot of money here in ten years.
And even with corporation closed, I can prove i have more than requested nowadays.
Taking a lawyer would be another headache.
It was not my choice to do that way but sometimes it takes time to realize mistakes that has been made originally withoutmy approval.

Oh dear. I live next to a large city.