TT visa

I was told by the local immigration department here in Dalat that I need to go to Phnom Penh to get a TT visa for re entry to Vietnam, before obtaining a VEC, as my current visa is a DL.   The question is does anybody know if I can get the TT for only 1 month? Once I arrive back in Vietnam I will apply immediately for a VEC so I figure its a waste of money to get a 3 month TT visa if I don,t have to.  All comments appreciated.

Not sure what you are trying to do. But a new VEC under the new rues will give you a TT. You could turn right around then and make it a TRC. I am assuming you are married. But you must apply for a VEC in HCM.

Originally had a VR visa which would've enabled me to get a TT. Unfortunately it was single entry so when I took a trip home to Australia I got a DL tourist VOA to re enter VN.  With the DL, I no longer qualified to get a TT so that's why I had to go out and come back with the TT I secured at the VN embassy in Phnom Penh. Since then I have obtained a VEC.  I originally applied for a TRC that a few lucky members here got while the opportunity was there, but when I tried I was told the TRC was no longer available, so took the next best option.  I may get a TRC in the future , but at the moment I'm done with the bureaucratic nonsense that prevails here.

To answer your question, yes, you can get a 1 month Visa.  You might be able to contact a local agent and get a Visa Letter. Which you then might be able to debark at the airport and and get your TT Visa there. 

I just made that up but to me it meets the requirements.

See my post above yours

The TRC is available and my wife has arranged for me to obtain it when I arrive in Saigon next month.  She arranged the TT Visa letter so I'm all set. 

Vietnam is 'good ole boys' club when it comes to getting anything done. It's all about who you are and know.

My wife says you can get anything done here if you are willing to pay the price, and I've seen her give "coffee money" to our local police chief who made a home visit, in order to make a problem go away. Another person on the TRC thread recently had problems getting a TRC, being told in HCMC that he needed to go back to the office in  his wifes town/province. He was told there that he had to go back to the HCMC office as they couldn't/wouldn't issue a TRC. Back in HCMC he was told no,he had to go back.  In desperation he found an "agent" who got the TRC for him for a $200 fee, over and above the normal $155 office price. So can you please tell me later what you ended up paying?  For myself, I'm happy at the moment  to keep the free 5 year VEC and get a police stamp every 6 months for $10 or $20. BTW, I'm talking about a spousal TRC, which is only for 3 years

Since I will be traveling in and out of Vietnam, I've been told the TRC is better as it doesn't need a stamp every six months. I don't understand why that's a problem but there is so much I don't understand I have learned to question what's important and what's not.

I've never paid a dong to have anyone do their job. I have given gifts after the fact to some officials that have done more to help me. My wife's family seems to know a lot of the right people. Many of her family are career military.

All I know at this point us that the TT Visa cost me $25. I'll post back here after in get the TRC.

GaryFunk wrote:

Since I will be traveling in and out of Vietnam, I've been told the TRC is better as it doesn't need a stamp every six months. I don't understand why that's a problem but there is so much I don't understand I have learned to question what's important and what's not.

Since you say you will be going in and our with fair frequency wouldn't the VEC actually be your best bet?  As the first stamp at entry is free and is now 6 months, you would never need a $10 renewal stamp if your trips outside of VN were less than 6 months apart.

I don't know. It's hard to get a firm answer at times.  Also what happens if I'm out for 6 1/2 months?

GaryFunk wrote:

I don't know. It's hard to get a firm answer at times.  Also what happens if I'm out for 6 1/2 months?

If you are out for more than 6 months you just reenter.  Staying in for more than 6 months is the only problem, and even then it is just a little paperwork and a $10 stamp.

THIGV wrote:
GaryFunk wrote:

If you are out for more than 6 months you just reenter.  Staying in for more than 6 months is the only problem, and even then it is just a little paperwork and a $10 stamp.

That's good to know. I'll have to discuss this with the powers that be.  I didn't have these problems in 1975. I went where I wanted in SE Asia and no one ever questioned me.