Honesty& Corruption

Hi All,,,Please be aware of Deception<Dishonesty,,in Bulgaria,,,i am at this moment serving a writ against a person who sign,ed a legal agreement of a loan,,and renaged,,also of Estate Agents working with builders to upgrade house price,s,,,,,,,,,,i came here to enhance my life & not to be ripped off,,,,this is a BIG problem in BG,,,,,you have a lovely country here,,that certain people will destroy(crime),,,how will you combat this(your responsibility),,,publish this please,,,,,regards eddie

I wish you well Eddie, that is terrible news I can understand your feelings, I have been in a similar position regards being fleeced in various stages, I have heard also of a neighbor that was home watching a house for an ex-pat instead of paying bills for their friend kept the money to themselves they went through the same procedure regards the writ seemingly they were successful, I do hope you turn it around, we came on the forum around the same time and have exchanged messages throughout the past few years, best wishes mate Steve.

Actually, nothing different from the other counries - scums live here too. Just contact people recommended by s.o. - this is valid from your dentist to your credit officer, pluber, hairdresser etc. Everything! One very big danger comes from the foreign entrepreneurs - here many of them are trying to bypass any local law ... Many people lost their money while trying to buy flats/houses from such criminals.

And the country is not going to be destroyed by a bunch of scums but from the high level mafia and the attempts do breach the judicial and law enforcement systems.

eddieg wrote:

Hi All,,,Please be aware of Deception<Dishonesty,,in Bulgaria,,,

Actually, this is sound advice for expats in nearly ANY country, not only Bulgaria.  Being an expat, and not familiar with local laws, procedures, fair market practices...we're at a disadvantage, and unfortunately there are a lot of people that take advantage of expats, and indeed sour the impression of their country and even drive away those that would seek to come and contribute.  Combating this rests not only on the host country citizens, but also the foreigners engaging in activities in the host country.

As Expat Advisor Kristiann mentions, try to deal only with those that are recommended from trusted sources, at least until you get familiar with how the game is played.

Romaniac

So true,,,i have been living in BG for 10months & slowly finding my way here,,i love BG & i have met some lovely BG people,,its a shame that there are some people here that put a bad name on BG,,which stops people investing in BG,,,,regards eddie

Just watch out for a couple in Veliko Tarnovo called Dimitar (Bulgarian) and Fran (french) they hunt people down in new to the city and will offer you their services ie taxi,pay your bills,transfer names, sort out a builders, house insurance, look after your house DON'T TRUST THEM as they will not pay your bills as they will rob you as we know someone who used them and lost 6000 lev to them.

Kosarka

What a shame to hear this kind of news. I am new to Bulgaria, coming over in April to buy a home.

Hi this is a shame but I think it is something that can happen anywhere not just BG. You just need to be as cautious as you would be in the UK dealing with people. Sometimes people go into holiday mode when they emigrate and don't think the way they would when at home.
I am not saying this is what happened with Eddie but it is something to be aware of.
We have only been here a short time but so far so good. Don't let it put you off coming over and just try to make sure the people you deal with have dealt with others you trust if possible.
This site is a great way of checking things out as well before committing to things you may be unsure of.

Thank you Paul. I love Bulgaria and really want to connect with the culture, people and all that goes with being a Bulgarian, I admire the people, love the country.