Don't worry so much about violent crime

http://www.cljornal.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/jp-bPostsRealad7420905adcfe8f60bec669a98eb84f.jpg

Yes, Brazil is a high crime country and there are approximately 72 thousand homicides per year, of which 40 thousand are death by firearms. However, in almost 90% of those the perpetrator is known to the victim. Being killed by an absolute stranger is really not that great a risk, especially for expats.

We expats should be far more worried about deaths due to traffic accidents than by homicides. Each year 45 thousand lives are snuffed out as the result of traffic accidents in this country. Fully 80% of all accidents in Brazil are front-end collisions. That's a scary figure because it means that somebody was in the wrong lane of traffic. As an expat in Brazil the chances of you being killed in a traffic accident are hundreds of times greater than by being murdered.

Brazilians are among the most impatient and imprudent drivers on the face of the earth. Even the best of them are little more than an accident waiting to happen because of this. I've seen things that make me glad that I no longer drive...

Things like being behind three semi trucks bunched up on the highway, when they should have been separated by enough distance that others could safely pass them, and watching as one car passed them on the right shoulder of the highway, another passed in the left (oncoming) lane and yet a third passed that car in the left shoulder of the highway. It was a scene of absolute insanity which I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would ever see.

Just remember you may think that YOU are the best driver in the world, or at least in all of Brazil, but there's bound to be somebody out there who will get you sooner or later. The very best you can do is drive defensively, drive according to the road and weather conditions, unless passing always drive in the right-hand lane and stay well back from the vehicle in front. That will provide you the physical conditions to stay safe. Stay alert to everything that is going on around you by scanning your mirrors (right, left and center) constantly, that will provide you with the awareness that will help you make up for the mistakes of all those incompetent drivers out there.

Just remember that to the average Brazilian motorist, HE/SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS A RIGHT TO BE ON THE ROAD. You and your life don't matter and don't even enter into the equation because they don't even worry about their own.

Cheers and drive safe!
James
expat.com Experts Team

I absolutely concur James. It seems I spend 90% of my driving efforts protecting local drivers from themselves. Additionally while driving on the streets of Cabo Frio I tend to yield to pedestrians waiting to cross the street. They always do a triple take before stepping off the curb and seem dumbfounded that a vehicle would stop to allow them to pass.

It's so rare, in fact, that somebody actually stops for a pedestrian they probably rush home and mark it on the calendar!

Hard to figure out, but in Brasília if you even look like you might want to cross the street traffic comes to a screaching halt. Go figure!!!

It's the only city in the whole country where that happens.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Cars do stop for you to cross in São Jose dos Campos too , quite often....surprisingly often Brazilian standards.

So the question is , why do Brazilians change from been generally nice laid back people to high strung maniacs every time they get behind the wheel?

Unfortunately that's far from being limited only to Brazil. Incidents of "road rage" are increasing every year. It's because we're placed inside of a pod and can control that environment completely. Problem is that we can't control the environment outside that pod. It's that inability that gets many people pissed off.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

True , but Brazilians seem to have a total personality change...