Health insurance? How much money to support oneself?

Hi, I joined last year, and have been looking with interest at the posts on here - some great information!

We are pretty sure Bulgaria seems like the place for us, and will be heading out there in the spring to look at property. Most likely Veliko area.

Just a couple of questions, as I cant seem to find the info.
1. Does anyone know what might be deemed a sufficient amount of money to support oneself, for the purposes of applying for residency?

2. On the same subject, I noticed that it is necessary to have health insurance form ones home country, when applying for residency - is British ehic sufficient? Or does any one have any recommendations for an affordable health insurance?

Look forward to hearing from people, and thanks in advance for your help.

Don't have internet access at the moment, so only able to check on here once or twice a week.

Hi,,EHIC card is sufficient,,not sure what funds are required for resident card,,i don,t think it is much,,,I applied & received resident card in April2015,,all i had to show was BG bank a/c details,,,,hope that helps,,,regards eddie,,,,ps,,if your EHIC card has,nt long time to run,apply for new one(5yrs cover) before you come over

Hi and welcome Fatpixie

To start your residency permit, immigration recommend a minimum of 2000 BGN in your account but I would recommend 2500 just to be over.
EHIC card is sufficient but your residency will only be granted until the expiry of either your EHIC card or your passport whichever is shortest.
What part of BG are you thinking of moving to?
And if you need any further help just ask, it can be a bit of a minefield.
Good luck

Paul

Hi Eddieg,
Thanks for the info re ehic etc.
Also, apologies to you and others, as I have repeated this question, as I couldn't seem to find my post at first - just me being a plonker I think!
I did see a post from someone a while back, where they mentioned a sum of money they thought was deemed sufficient to have in the bank when applying for residency, but cant remember, and despite searching I cant find it again.
Not yet pension age, so will be relying initially on what capital we have.
Also, interested in reliable estate agents, solicitors etc. Plenty of properties available on the internet of course, but recommendation always best of course.
Don't have internet access at the moment, so only able to get on here once or twice a week, so apologies for tardy reply.
Thanks again for help.

Hi Paulb28, and thanks for prompt reply!
Also, apologies to everyone, as I have posted these questions twice, due to me messing things up, thinking the first post didn't work!
Anyway, that's really good info thanks, and no doubt we will have further questions as we progress!
Looking at Veliko area, as seems to have a lot to suit us - any recommendation re estate agents etc much appreciated.
Also, only on here sporadically as no internet access at the moment, so apologies in advance for slow replies.

Hi Fatpixie no problem at all.

Veselin who owns Ideal homes in VT is highly recommended. He will be honest about the villages. We fell in love with a house in one village but he advised us against it due to Gypsy problems there.
We didn't buy from him in the end but he has still helped us do everything to register for residency and then some. I also call him when I struggle to communicate and he happily translates over the phone for me.

If you want his contact details I would be happy to pass them on.

Hi, thanks for that - and yes please, contact details would be great - I assume you need to private message or something (I am new to this forum business!)
Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Fatpixie ,,,yes,i have info regarding Honest estate agents & Solicitors,,have to send via private message,as not able to advertise openly

Hello everyone,

Please note that some posts have been added to this thread on the Bulgaria form

@ Fatpixie, i have added all the responses you had on your other similar thread to this one and removed the other thread from the forum.

Maybe you could note the link of your thread somewhere so that you may easily access it  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=556616

All the very best
Bhavna

As to the amount in your bank account, for non-eu it is 420 bgn/month for the residence permit that you want (so, 420*6 for a 6 month, 420*12 for a 12 month). This is the minimum wage in Bulgaria. Perhaps it is different for EU residents, but when I go for my permanent res. permit next summer, they said they will want to see proof of a year of support or other proof of income.

Thanks for the info Kojidae - and thanks to all who took time to help me with these questions.
Until next time then............!