New: Gatherings and events in Brazil

Hi,

Would you like to have a coffee, organize a dinner or find people for activities in Brazil?

To help you meet people and find outings in Brazil, we launched a Gatherings and Events section in Brazil: you can now follow what's going on in your area and make the most of your time off.

You can also create events and organize a gathering with the Expat.com members.

How to create a gathering?

On the Events in Brazil page, click on “Post an event”.
Fill in the form with the details related to the gathering: date, place, hour… and post your event.

It's now time to invite the other members! You can opt for a public event or a private one (Invitation or Invitation plus).

To send invites, click on “Invite friends” on your event page and select who you wish to invite.

https://www.expat.com/images/misc/screen-topic/contact-invite/en.jpg

Get informed of who is coming through this page and get in touch with the other members or add pictures of the events in the comments.

https://www.expat.com/images/misc/screen-topic/comment-photo/en.jpg

A photo album dedicated to the event will then be created.

What do you think of this new feature?

Thanks,

Julien

Wonderful new feature Julien, I'm sure it will help all of our members organize meet-ups and announce their events on the Brazil Forum.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Sounds great to meet at the beach on the 6th of February at 5:00 PM.  However, what beach?   I need exact location with a good reference/address so that I do not waste time and end up getting lost.

John

Which beach?  I would love to meet everyone.  Do you know about Internations?  They are getting together also.  Bob

Just a couple of suggestions on a meet-up at the beach on Sat. Feb. 6th...

There aren't really too many beaches in Macaé that aren't subject to heavy wave action. Those that are really don't have a lot of facilities nearby. Imbetiba for example doesn't have a lot of waves so it would be suitable for kids, but the water quality isn't the best. There are a few restaurants nearby, but not on the beach. Caveleiros has all kinds of restaurants, unfortunately all very pricey, and the waves can be pretty heavy at times.

If people don't mind a bit of a drive the beach in the center of Rio das Ostras is quite protected. It has an ample selection of restaurants and beachfront kiosks (barracão) that sell food and drink. I've been there several times and it's a really enjoyable place. Great beach for kids, very safe, really nothing in the way of waves. Rio das Ostras also has a lot of very interesting shops right near the beach for those who might enjoy that too. The restaurants are probably a little less expensive than those in Cavaleiros.

If you want to make it a family event, I'd suggest earlier in the day perhaps around 2pm. If it's adults only 5pm would be okay, but you'd still need to hope that the weatherman cooperates, since we're right into the heart of the rainy season as everyone has probably noticed.

Check out Google Street View:  https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-22.527 … 6?hl=pt-BR

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

James,

As always, a good write-up.  Rio das Ostras is great for me. (I live in Macae.)

Is this event only for expats or can we bring a Brazilian friend?

Personally, I like the southern get-together where each person brings one or two plates to feed eight persons and just sample each other's home cooking.  If you are too busy to cook, then just buy something at one of the local restaurants.   Everyone should bring their favorite drink/cooler and beach chairs/umbrella to keep the costs down.

I understand that this event is adults only.  (I am flexible, but just like to be well communicated so no one gets their feelings hurt.)

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

I actually would be up for an event where we could bring any friends or family, including kids.

I'm not so sure about the idea of bringing a dish, since we'd have to have either a cooler or some means of heating food. Since I don't drive I'd be going there by bus so it would be difficult for me to take a dish. The beach has lots of food outlets anyway and it's not too expensive. Still lots of time to decide that anyway.

Let's first decide on the kind of beach event (family or adult), and time to meet-up then go from there. I'd like to bring my 8 year old son, it's his favorite spot. That's flexible however. My wife probably would be a non-starter she's such a homebody I can't get her out the door.

Cheers,
James

I is there foreign English speak?

Hopefully there will be members there who speak both English and Portuguese. I speak both fluently as well.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

James,

I am totally flexible and fully support whatever decision is made.

With the oil crisis being extremely bad and many expats and Brazilians out of work, restaurants are too expensive.

I am flexible on the kids to.  However, I kindly request that there be FULL adult supervision of the kids.  The beach is a great place for kids, but it can be dangerous.

It is totally up to what you want to do.

Just let me know and I will be there.

John

Sounds like a good way to share successes and failures, compare views and thoughts, to hear English!

Hi John,

Just want to confirm that for my part everything is still on for our meet-up Sat. Feb. 6th. I will see you at the wishing well in the praça in Rio das Ostras (across from the Rodoviária (bus depot) at 2 pm.

Anybody else who wants to join us is welcome, we'll be having drinks on the beach. Food there is good too and not too expensive.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

James,

Excellent!!!   Confirned for 2:00 pm on Saturday, tge 6th of February.

You should have my cell phone number already.

Thank you!
John

Where is Rio dos Ostros?  Is it near Macae?  I need a few directions.  Thanks.

Rio das Ostras is 28Km south of Macaé.  Take Rodovia Amaral Peixoto (RJ-106) south and it will take you right through the heart of downtown Rio das Ostras.

https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-22.494 … z?hl=pt-BR

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

My wife and I have our tickets for Macae tomorrow.  We'll be the at 1330.  Is there a bus to the beach or should we take a taxi?

It's actually quite a way from the city center. You should catch the bus which boards on the street just outside the Macaé bus depot. The name is B434 UNAMAR and the fare is R$7.85. I believe the frequency on that line is every 30 min. It will probably take 45 min. to 1 hr. to get to Rio das Ostras ask to be dropped at the Rodoviária in Rio das Ostras. When you disembark from the bus, walk back about half a block and you'll see a large Catholic Church, directly across the street is the Praça José Pereira Câmara (photo below) where we will meet at the wishing well.

http://riodasostrasjazzeblues.com/joomla/images/stories/joseferreira_destaq.jpg

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

@James Do you know of any Americans in Saquerema?  I'm from Texas and now retired to Itauna.  Hope to hear from you soon

Mike

02/14/23 @James Do you know of any Americans in Saquerema? I'm from Texas and now retired to Itauna. Hope to hear from you soon
Mike
-@Mikegabriel

Hi, Mike.  Unfortunately, James passed away not too long after the post to which you're responding.  This thread has been inactive since then, so my recommendation would be to start in thread in the Rio de Janeiro forum, about Expats in the Saquerema Area, and post your question there:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=513