Health Insurance

I will be moving in the next few months to Cebu. I will not have health insurance. Has anyone purchased a health plan or have recommendations?  Thx Frank

For me self insurance is the only viable way.

When you look of the standard of medical care, all the health insurance in the world will not help you unless you have time to get on a plane and fly to Singapore / Australia / Japan / America.

In a Gen San where I live, I was speaking to two nurses the other day and they told me there is only one DeFib in the whole city (yep that includes hospitals).

Most of these cities do not stock expensive drugs and no one can rely afford them.  So they will not carry the drugs as they will simply go out of date, at a cost the country cannot afford.

MissionHopeCebu wrote:

I will be moving in the next few months to Cebu. I will not have health insurance. Has anyone purchased a health plan or have recommendations?  Thx Frank

Very good question, I would like to know about that also.  I live in Buenavista, Guimaras.

Hi Sir,

I would suggest Blue Cross Insurance.

Thank you

Hi Sir, you may also check out healthcards.ph

Thank you

My own research on Health Insurance scared the life out of me! (pun intended) haha...

Whilst you are [relatively] young and fit I found cover/premiums OK. However, pre-existing medical issue exclusions and cover ceasing at ages when you need it most (typical of insurance companies) left me feeling very underwhelmed.

I have generally found a 'pay-as-you-go' mentality from expats. And if you run out of money - just die - its less of a burden!  Scary...

It would appear that [globally] top healthcare is only available to those who can afford it. And let's face it - save a private nurse to keep you company and give you a bed bath, you are probably not in the Philippines for the standard of Healthcare. Somethings' gotta give?

If you are not living in a major city, Davo, Cebu or Manila, don't worry about travel insurance.  Think about; if you are that sick you need to be flown out; 1st you have a to get a "ambulance" (if one is in the area you live), then you have to get into the hospital for an assessment, then another ambulance to the airport, then wait for you emergency flight, by that time, well you can be looking at the grass growing above your head.

In many (most) most parts of the Philippines there is no decent live saving hospitals, the country simply cannot afford to have a "western" health system.  So you will have to be flown out to either Singapore or Japan.

"Live hard, die young, leave a good looking corpse (and the money to your wife or GF)"

For me self insurance is the only viable way.

When you look of the standard of medical care, all the health insurance in the world will not help you unless you have time to get on a plane and fly to Singapore / Australia / Japan / America.

In a Gen San where I live, I was speaking to two nurses the other day and they told me there is only one DeFib in the whole city (yep that includes hospitals).

Most of these cities do not stock expensive drugs and no one can rely afford them.  So they will not carry the drugs as they will simply go out of date, at a cost the country cannot afford.

I looked at and was quoted by Cigna on their international plan as I recall it was close to $250 US per month as many here I opted to go self insured. A friend of mine was recently hospitalized in Ormoc (private hospital) for a COPD exacerbation. Personally I was very impressed with the level of care. For one week hospitalization the cost was 45000 pesos or about 4 months insurance premiums.

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Please register services in business directory.Promotion of services on the forum is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct