Where is the best part of Visayas to live?

I want to move from Australia to Philippines. I am thinking about the Visayas and I like Cebu.
I want a place that is elevated and wont flood and also benefit from nice breezes and at the same time is close to the main stream city.
My wife is from Davao but I don't want to live there. I am guessing it will take about 9-12 months to get organised and move. I will come there earlier to buy a property. I was in Cebu about 3 weeks ago but only for about 3 days and it was a busy time.
I would appreciate any information I can get from people living there.
Thank you for reading my post.

im sure there are many nice places to live but visiting a place for 3 days is a bit short to decide you want to live there  ,may i ask whats wrong with davao?

I like Davao, however I am white with grey hair and I stand out in the crowd and I believe I could be a target there. If you go on to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Travel (DFAT) and read the travel warnings, it clearly tells you not to go to Southern and Western Mindanao and to re-consider your need to travel to any other part of Mindanao. This warning is not only on the Australian Government website but US and several other Western Countries. Ignorance can be extremely dangerous and with a "I don't really care attitude" you will never get a second chance! Television news is also a wonderful and educational tool when it comes to finding out what happens in other parts of the world as too is Yahoo and Google!
My question to you is: Why would a perfectly sane person tempt fate?

greenetravel wrote:

im sure there are many nice places to live but visiting a place for 3 days is a bit short to decide you want to live there  ,may i ask whats wrong with davao?

Sometimes it is a good idea to live at least an island away from family.

steveinoz wrote:

I like Davao, however I am white with grey hair and I stand out in the crowd and I believe I could be a target there. If you go on to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Travel (DFAT) and read the travel warnings, it clearly tells you not to go to Southern and Western Mindanao and to re-consider your need to travel to any other part of Mindanao. This warning is not only on the Australian Government website but US and several other Western Countries. Ignorance can be extremely dangerous and with a "I don't really care attitude" you will never get a second chance! Television news is also a wonderful and educational tool when it comes to finding out what happens in other parts of the world as too is Yahoo and Google!
My question to you is: Why would a perfectly sane person tempt fate?

well if there were travel warnings for other countries -then they would probably tell you not to visit   usa /paris and several other parts of the world    ,as someone that has visited there several times and know many foreigners living there  -i think i would have more idea than some plonkers that have never even left their own country  ,however as you do have google -maybe you could research which  places in philippines are supposed to be safest?    no matter where you live -there is some risk  -whether its from being killed in an accident  or any number of bad things  ,so it might be better to stay in australia where its 100% safe       .

mugtech wrote:
greenetravel wrote:

Sometimes it is a good idea to live at least an island away from family.

sure if you dont happen to like the family ,i live thousands of miles from my relatives but would rather live with them

steve -check this link for real facts    https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safe … hilippines

or this one    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ … ys-the-fco

1996: Abu Sayyaf abducted American missionary Greg Williams in Cebu. He was tortured and deprived of food and water; he was also forced to watch the beheading of a friend. He escaped after 13 days in captivity.  - i guess that rules out cebu too?

I did not ask for a safe haven! I am capable of making those decisions for myself, however like 100% of people, I do not know everything, therefore I will heed a serious travel warning. You seem to have a comprehension problem. I originally asked about the BEST place in the Visayas NOT a SAFE place!
I guess a smart man like yourself would probably take a holiday in Syria!!!!!

no steve-you seem to be the one with the problem .if i wanted to take a holiday in syria i would but i prefer mindanao  ,hope you will find the best place -surely your wife and people that live there would be the best people to ask rather than listening to these people that dont get out of their office

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : post removed - Insults = BAN

perhaps you could read this rather than insulting people   https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=551655

I think no one can really advise you of the best place to live in the Visayas area since what is best for you may not be best for others, it is relative.  People have different preferences and as for me who have frequented the different places in the Visayas and Mindanao areas, I would say for me the best is Davao City, If you love a serene place you might want to live in Bohol or Dumaguete.  If you have the urban and noisy city life you will not live in the National Capital Region or Metro Manila and Cebu City.  So you are the only person who can say which is best for you but you can never judge by going to different places and observing for 2 or 3 days only.  Good luck!!!

good post ruby but even though he said he likes davao -the only reason he said didnt want to go there was because of travel warnings but yet when i said other parts of philipppines were dangerous too -he got the hump

This guy was there 3 weeks ago for a hurried visit. Maybe you dont know enough about him to be offering your such valuable advice.
Maybe you should ask him a few questions regarding, has he been there before.
Too many people jump the gun and make assumptions not knowing the full history of a person.
Everyone likes to offer advice both bad and good and so many of those people know nothing themselves, particularly the Irish!

I would recommend iloilo,very nice organized and clean city,cebu is crowded and polluted,my opinion only.

BoyFromOz wrote:

Too many people jump the gun and make assumptions not knowing the full history of a person.
Everyone likes to offer advice both bad and good and so many of those people know nothing themselves, particularly the Irish!

Your first post on here and you are making negative generalizations about the Irish.  Can't wait for the next piece of wisdom from the Wizard of Oz (Ignore that man behind the curtain!)

Haha I dare say when the time is right I will impart my wisdom upon you!
Yes, you are correct, I did make negative generalizations when I was in fact aiming at a particular desk jockey in Ireland!!!  How easy it is for one to err!  I apologize for being human!  God save the Queen!

BoyFromOz wrote:

Haha I dare say when the time is right I will impart my wisdom upon you!
Yes, you are correct, I did make negative generalizations when I was in fact aiming at a particular desk jockey in Ireland!!!  How easy it is for one to err!  I apologize for being human!  God save the Queen!

Proofreading cuts down on such errors.

Salamat!

I'm not sure,

I can only give my own opinion here

I live in Mactan, Cebu is a great place to live, for the reason of the many things you can do here

if your like me, and your hobby is photography, then the many landmarks, historical places are great for pics,
not to mention you have 6 other islands you can visit on a weekend, especially Bantantan

With all the beach resorts here in Mactan it's easy to go somewhere for a day out at the beach, no need to pay the entrance fee, just tell the guard when entering the resort your coming for lunch or breakfast lol

being white, they mostly think your staying there anyway

also Mactan is so much quieter than Cebu City too, easy to get around, less traffic

Hello and thank you. I have been to Mactan before and I like it very much and Plantation Bay is just terrific with great access for a day of Island hopping.
I went to Cebu before Christmas but I did not have time to explore the real estate available, however I have friends that live in Cebu city and they are my eyes there.
I think I will fly over there in a few weeks I when I have time to just look at real estate and nothing else. I must admit Mactan is high on my priority list. Thank you.

i agree with boyfromoz....Plantation Bay is terrific but not cheap. There is a much more affordable alternative just 1.6 km away. Saekyung Village 1 is on Marigondon Beach Road and very handy to the many resorts on the southern part of Mactan. If you a looking for affordable accommodation just tell the security guards you want to talk to Betsy.

When it stops raining i will check that out

"Saekyung Village 1 is on Marigondon Beach Road"

Yea and agree, Plantation is far from cheap, i was there 2 weeks ago for a look around, lunch for the 2 of us was very expensive, it was 220 php just for a can of coke ,, i nearly fell off my chair when the bill came lol

Betsy will sell you a small bottle of coke for P10 lol

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Do not share contact infos on forum + drop your advert in Housing section please.

Hi my name Is Ian I live in Mintal Davao it is Beautiful here with a backdrop of Mt APO the Philippines Highest Peak ,it is a Dormant Volcano with no known record of eruptions also Davao city is one of the safest cities in the World also we dont get hit by Typhoons like other places I have been here almost one year and have never experienced anything bad people are friendly they keep the place clean also no smoking is allowed in public places and Alcohol is not allowed to be sold after 1 am and there is a curfew on loud music which is 10pm also a curfew on youngsters out again 10pm the shopping Malls here are Huge they have everything you need , Just outside the city there is the Philippine Eagle Sanctuary and a Crocodile Park and other places of interest like the Japanese Tunnels from ww2
              there are many other places like the Island of Samal with Paradise Beach which is nice and well organised which is very close to Davao
I hope I have given you another place to consider
                  Regards Ian

I think Cebu...

Hi Ian
Great information. Thank you. I stayed at Palmeto down Maa Road last time there. I shopped at NCCC Mall and yes the Malls are huge.
In fact, I like Davao. Obviously Duterte did a great job as mayor and now you have him as President I see. I believe there are interesting times ahead for the Phils.
I went past the crocodile park on route to Digos City but never went there. I think it would be an interesting place to explore.
I will send you a private message and keep in touch rather than a public forum.
Cheers
Steve

Cebu is a larger city with most government services available there. You can live nicely on a budget of $3,500.00USD, that translates to about 145,000.00PHP in the Philippines. Normal rent here is 8,000.00PHP a month for a large 2 bedroom apartment. Electric runs around 4,000.00PHP and 100.00PHP for the monthly water service. You can also get a housekeeper for 3,000.00PHP a month and nanny is 2,000.00PHP a month. If you plan on making it a permanent move, I would recommend that you make sure your legal documents are approved by the Philippine embassy in your country, as this is one of the problems most expats could encounter after moving in Philippines. If you enjoy fishing then bring your fishing things with you, you can not buy rods or tackle here, no one sells the stuff here. ^_^

hello,

my name is lorna and im a native cebuana,,,i can tell u have a good choice,bec u can have everything in cebu nice beaches,malls and hardwares,,,and i can tell cebu is more civilize than other neighboring island in visayas but the 3 days u spent here was not enough to know the place,,,try to come back here and i can help you where u and your wife can stay in a very affordable place,thank you

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you

In reference to parts of the Philippines that are dangerous for expats.  I agree there are places I may choose to not live due to religious or different philosophical life issues, but I wholeheartedly agree there are many dangerous places in the USA.  I have been to South America, Central America and Asia/Philippines and feel much safer here than many places in America, including the major city that I lived very close to Portland, Oregon.  There aRe at least 5-10 murders in Portland weekly, numerous assaults/rapes, thousands of burglaries as well as in increasing number of home invasions with dire results for the victims.  So believing the hype put out by the state department re travel warnings is so much bs I can't lift my boots out of the muck.  Listen to the people that have experienced what you are going to, not the state department with an axe to grind.  rainrider9

I spent three months living in Lapu-Lapu on Mactan island. I liked Cebu but didn't love it. The traffic on the old bridge to Cebu from Mactan is very sloooowww. If I was to live in the Cebu area again I would choose Talisay city. Talisay City is close to the new SM seaside mall and with the SRP there plus the ability to take MyBus getting to Cebu isn't to bad. The traffic in Cebu can be very slow, it took me a little over 3 1/2 hours to get from SM Seaside to Gun-Ob, Lapu-lapu on a Friday afternoon.
Since your wife is from Davao I'm sure you will want to live somewhere that Bisayan is spoken so Bacolod and Iloilo are out of the question so I would recommend Tagbilaran or Dumaguete for smaller city life. For a 800 peso round trip ticket on a fastcraft you could be in Cebu in 2 hours if you live in Tagbilaran. 5 hours bus ride and you can be in Cebu from Dumaguete.

Try Minglanilla you don't need to go to Cebu.

Best thing is to explore around different areas,and look for the places that have most of your liking,you should choose from about 3 different places,best to rent then after awhile decide,where is best for you,location is very important.Good luck.

You can easily live on 41000,or about 800usd,monthly,it all depends on your way of life.

hi, Try Bacolod City, 'the city of smiles', food is cheaper, living accomodations is reasonable, and lots of
foreigners , beaches, golf courses, schools, and malls. most of the wholesome restaurants are there,
I should know cuz I grew up there . am in Canada and travel due to business in the states and the
Philippines. oh, lot s of new housing developments are all over the place. they have an international
airport , and its the laid back attitude of the place that will get you.
If you need more info,just email me , and I hope you get more out of this. lots of expats get the wrong
info, and in most cases, I hope I can relate to what you plan to do.
Cheers,
a friend

p.s. google it if you want..Bacolod City