Introduce Myself

Hello my name is Theresa and I am interested in living and working in Belize.  Would like to meet people whom have made the move themselves and have information about their experience to share.

Hi Theresa,
My name is Bill Graham I moved to Belize just over a year ago. I did a fair bit of research prior to and since moving. If I can be of assistance I would love to help. Did you have some specific questions in mind?

Yes lots of questions.  So many I don't know where to start.  I think for starters where in Belize is the safest to live and work.  Next is there work for me there.  Not prepared to retire so I would need a job.

The question of crime and safety is one you will get several perspectives on. I can only share my reality which is that I have never had a problem or felt unsafe. Belize is a nation of poor people as far as stuff goes (they are rich as far as lifestyle and happiness goes) so if you leave your stuff laying around it will probably go missing. Although there are isolated violent crimes everywhere most violent crime happens in areas of Belize City and is gang related, so if you are not associated with those types of people your risk is low.

Working is an issue, again Belize is a poor country with high unemployment and the government protects Belizean jobs. If you do something that a Belizean is qualified to do you will not find work. Also it is illegal to work here until you get residency which requires you live here for a year (you may not leave for more than 14 day in that year) before you can apply and then up to a year to get approved. If you have a highly specialized skill you can apply for a work permit, typically wages here are very low by our standard, like 25.00/day. Most people that need to work have online jobs but you still cannot sell your product in Belize and it is recommended that you get paid by Paypal or an equivalent for example deposited in your home country.

I Hope this helps.

Regards Bill

What are the housing costs?  Is it safe to bring my vehicle?

No one will be able to tell you where the safest place to live is in Belize. How safe you feel has a lot to do with your comfort zone. And, yes, anyone who's safety/security has never yet been breached, either with a robbery, theft, home invasion or heavens forbid worse, will tell you they feel perfectly safe and don't have any issues.

For security, at your house for instance,  and depending on your location, you'll have to decide if you want or need a fence, dogs, burglar bars, watchman/security guard, motion sensors, security lights or all of them.
We have very good Neighbourhood Watches, the PCC and Community Policing in Cayo. But there is never a guarantee. Be vigilant. Observe. Get to know your neighbours and have each others back. Keep an eye out in
your neighbourhood.

When we moved to rural Cayo from the Peninsula, our first priority was security of the house itself. Before we got to the garage and tool shed, "they" got to both. Due to the security measures we took on the house, they never attempted to break in to the house. It was a very stormy night. Heavy rains on zinc roofs are deafening. We slept through it all (luckily), and only discovered what had happened in the morning. Since then we obviously secured the garage and tool shed, have dogs and other security "stuff".

We feel very safe and secure. But again, we are aware that there are no guarantees and thankfully catch ourselves whenever one of us becomes complacent.

As to housing costs. That's a pretty loaded question. Rent? Own? Location?
Not sure I know what you mean by the vehicle question. Lots of people bring vehicles. Lots of people buy vehicles here.

Come visit for a couple of months. Spend some time in each District, as they are all very different. Spend some time in rainy season. Check out different neighbourhoods.

Theresa,
If my post sounded negative...it was not my intent. When it comes to safety and security, I will never tell people what they might want to hear. Especially after what just happened near Spanish Lookout.
We have seen, over the past 18 years, a huge number of people come and then leave because they thought it would never happen to them, because they were nice people. We never knew or had friends that became murder victims until we moved to Belize. So please, keep asking questions from different people. Get different perspectives. Go explore. Read the newspapers. Talk to people. Lots of stuff is never reported for many reasons.
Good luck!

I am sure there is a quarantine process but can bring dogs I already have?

No quarantine. Current shots and permit from BAHA. (Belize Agricultural Health Authority) All information is on their website.

Bridget you answer is spot on. Safety is a personal feeling and in my opinion everyone's reality is different. We have felt safe but that been said we also take precautions like burgler bars, good exterior lighting, and don't advertise our stuff, etc.

I believe there is enough sugar coating on the information easily found on the web. People in this forum are making life changing decisions and moves based on what we have experienced and deserve actual accountings of our individual realities. I applaud your reply

My condolences on the tragic loss of your friend, although I did not know Matthew personally, I do know he was a person who made a positive impact in Belize and will be missed and remembered by many.

Thanks Bill. I did not know Matt personally, just used his tragic demise as an example. But sadly, we have lost friends and a couple of acquaintances to violent killings. Be safe and have a good night!