AIR QUALITY/POLLUTION

Hi!

I have been living in China for a while. I currently have homes in most of the major cities in China. I joined this expat community because I understand the difficulties you may experience here so I want meet and help other expats and foreigners. I can answer most of your questions about living in China. I will try to assist you the best I can. I get a lot of questions on where to buy a good air purifier for homes. That is why I titled the subject of this post "AIR QUALITY/POLLUTION". But any question will do! Please do not pay me, I just want to meet and help other expats and foreigners in China.
Thanks!

?/I am moving to Beijing at the end of February to live and teach there, and eventually retire there. I ask the recruiters about the pollution--a handful use a mask, most don't. My question here has to do with dealing with the terrible pollution. I was OK 10 years ago when I lived there for 3 years--no mask, ever. Many say its not much different now but I have to wonder. Is there something I should do to guard my health against this pollution? I am a vegan, age 57, generally in good health, a teacher/artist/writer. Herbs to take, filters for the apartment, best cough syrups to bring from the US, etc.?

Hey Georgia yeah I can help you. First, it seems that you value your health so I would HIGHLY recommend you wear protective masks outside. . And you should definitely purchase several air purifiers for the rooms in your home, whether you have asthma or not. And no I would say it's definitely gotten worse over the years and there is a big difference in the air since the last time you were here, and it's especially worse in Beijing. You should check the AQI (Air Quality Index) daily. Your throat will be sore for the first week or 2 that you are here and then your body will get adjusted to it and the soreness will go away.

If you are into exercising it is very difficult to be active outside because it's hard to breathe. Being active in a room or building that has air purifiers makes it much easier because the machines clean 99% of all hazardous particles and toxins in the air, so the air is actually better than anywhere in the world including the United States.

I'm not sure about the best herbs and cough syrups but definitely don't buy or bring your own masks or air purifiers. They are cheaper here, better quality here (because it's the hottest market in the world right now for selling air purifiers), and very easy to find. I will just share with you now the name and contact info of the man that sells me my air purifiers and masks since I know you're interested. He sells the best brands and always gives me a great deal (because we are friends) and he will give you the same good deal if you tell him I (Jake Ellis) referred you, so be sure to do that. His name is Allen Adamusiak, his email is [email protected], his WeChat is “adamusiak”, and his phone number is +86 137 6111 0375. Be sure to contact him directly instead of his company's main office so that you can get hooked up with the good deals, and make sure you save all this valuable info I'm giving you haha.

Thanks for the questions. It was a pleasure to answer them. I hope I have helped you!