Towns to Relocate to in CR- Your suggestions?

Hi, I'm brand new to this site and I'm trying to get information or suggestions on towns to consider if I relocate to CR next year. I'd like to find a small, relaxing location. Not remote, but not crowded or overrun with tourists. Someplace with other Americans where I can blend in and become part of a community.

Thanks for your time and responses.

It is going to be very hard to solicit a response to your question as you are not giving us much information.  For example a few years ago I posted what we were personally looking for and it helped in getting answers:
We looked for an elevation of two thousand to three thousand feet above sea level, close proximity to medical and shopping facilities, reasonable access to an international airport, a small acreage, a Canada/U.S.A. influence within the local culture, and most importantly a solid sustainable infrastructure.

Hi. My suggestion is to come down, travel around and then make your decision. Drop me a line  when you get here, I will be happy to show you around the town I live and its surrounding towns.

If you want american's you have only a few options.   one is Escazu where you will pay high price for rent or housing.   And it is pretty crowded.   or Atenas, where you will be about 30 minutes from metro area San Jose.   It is a small town w/ a number of expats living there,.   

There is a couple on here named "Terry & Viv".    They are from Canada.   They found an area w/ lots of other gringos outside of San Jose area.   Look for them on this site and write them directly.   You can trust what they tell you.  Not everyone on here speaks of what they know, but rather what they have heard or think w/o actual experience. 

I have lived in Santa Ana for the past year.   it is a nice small town but it is growing.   It will be the next Escazu in about 10 years.   BIG commercial buildings going up.   

Down here, the temperature is determined principally by elevation.   The higher the elevation, the cooler it is.   Beach towns are nice but it can get pretty hot in the days.   that is why San Jose metro in the central valley has 2 million people.   it sits at about 3200 ft elevation so nice temperate weather.

More important for someone new to the area is secure living and Tico housing.   Most Tico housing has tin roofs.  The level right below those roofs are hot during the afternoon, whether that is the second floor or first floor for houses that are only one story high.    The second issue is security.  exposed Tico houses w/ inadequate security get broken into a lot when one leaves, or at night when one sleeps.  I have heard from people this has happened to, Tico and Anglo.   So make sure where you live has good security.  Once you get dow here, you'll see what is secure and what isn't.   Ie, a field behind one's house is not a good thing unless it has bars, and electrified fences. 

good luck.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like Atenas  will be on my list of places to check out.  If I were looking for short term housing, say 6 months, would you recommend Santa Ana while I looked around for someplace more permanent?

Thanks for your reply.  My plan for now is to get as much information as possible and prepare for a visit just to get a feel for the areas I want to evaluate.  My situation is somewhat different from yours in that it will just be me.
Once I find an area that I am comfortable with, I would probably start with a small home to rent for a few months while I continue to acclimate and find some place more permanent. My main concerns are security, cost of living and proximity of basics such as medical, shopping and entertainment.  I'm not into the partying or club scene, I prefer a quiet, relaxing style with a few friends and neighbors.

I got a response from someone named Sporto505.  He said I might receive a response from a couple named Terry and Viv, and to trust your information because he believes you are honest and helpful.  I appreciate your time.

Rroberts;
I was the first to reply to your original question.
I also just sent you a personal message that has some private information in it.
And Sporto505 - Thanks for the Kudo!
Cheers .... Terry

One of my favorite things to do here is to simply go for a cruise on my moto and explore the country.  Needless to say, works the same in a car-just a lot more expensive with gas prices.  Anyway, it's fun to just go into different towns and find what YOU like.  Different people like different things about CR.  I, like others prefer the higher elevations for the temperatures and the views.  Others prefer the heat of the beach life.   I accidentally found what is the perfect property for me outside San Ramon, Alajuela.  Take your time, explore.  Please, DON'T rush into purchasing.  Take a year and just travel around the country.

- Expat Dave

Dave-

I appreciate your reply and information. Your suggestion is close to what I have in mind actually. First a two week visit to check out a few areas that sound like what I'm looking  for. If I find a town that I like, I will look for a property to rent for about 6 months.  During this time I will explore and decide if and where this will be a permanent move.  I like the idea of higher elevation for milder temperatures.  What is it that you like about San Ramon?  What is daily life like?

Thanks

Hola!  San Ramon is a relatively small town but has plenty of grocery stores and pretty much anything else you'd need.  The Ticos in this area are very friendly and helpful, well, as long as they're not in their cars.  It's only 45 minutes to the airport and an hour to San Jose area.

I live about 6 km outside of the city.  My property is at 3,200 ft.  In this area you have to select just the right elevation.  Literally two minutes up the hill from me it is colder, windier and has fog a lot more often than we do.  I have a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains and the Gulf of Nicoya.  If I was looking for property again, I'd look at the Palmares area.  Same temperature as this area but more sunny days.  It's about 15 km. from San Ramon.

There are quite a few Gringos in this area if you choose to socialize with them.  Just personal taste, I prefer Ticos.

My daughter owns and operates a parrot rescue center so a lot my time is spent helping build habitats and caring for the property.  I have about 100 banana trees as well so they take some of my time as well.  I like riding a motorcycle and spend a lot of time just cruising.  Living here I've also got into the habit of purchasing fresh fruits and veggies almost daily.

Retiring takes some getting used to.  At least it did for me.  It took at least a year and a half to be able to sit on my deck and just enjoy the view without feeling like I "should" be doing something.  At the same time, from what I've seen of many Gringos, I think the worst thing that you can do is get into the habit of doing nothing.  You have to find what entertains you and keep living life!

- Expat Dave

I totally agree with Expat Dave when he states, he would choose another location, if he knew then what he knows now...
This is a major benefit in taking the time before purchasing property....so rent first or at least stay for an extended time, in the area that interests you.

We all have different requirements of what we need to be happy in our chosen location.

What good is a great view when you seldom see it  :top:

Good luck in your quest.

Dave-
Thanks for your response, San Ramon area is now on my list of places to check out. I was hoping to come down for a couple of weeks in late Feb. or March.  After checking around it sounds like affordable rentals are booked through March so I guess I'll be coming in April. I hope to learn enough from people like you, as well as reading tons of info online to decide on 5 or 6 areas to visit.  I appreciate your info.    Rick

Buenos dias Rick!  There are many rental options pretty much anywhere you go, even in the tourist season, which we are in.  This is where many Gringos stay in this area when they first arrive.  Cesar is the manager there and is very nice and trustworthy.   http://www.cabinasofcostarica.com  He charges $700 per month - fully furnished with a small kitchen.

- Expat Dave

I know I can hear my neighbors laughing at the thought, as we scratch our heads, and wonder WHY  anyone would move to an interesting Country where, IF not following the leaders to the Gringo Gulches . Could learn  Spanish , Pay LESS for everything, including homes,  groceries. and Farmers Markets and yes even Restaurants and fine clothing, and NOT  have our fabulous Moderate temperatures,  average 80deg F year round NO Humidity ...NO it is only cold if yu drive 25 minutes up to our country club area.
I suggest  that you do what we did ..Live a month  in MANY areas I think the beaeches will get struck out first,,next  the Gringo Gulches (we forfeited 2 weeks  HIGH rent to  get out of two of them
The Noise Traffic  High Prices & " Grandiose attitudes  "we ran away from in Beverly Hills...drove us away,
Then we found a charming yet modern town of Heredia and decided to check the surounding Hills VOILA  we were ready to BUT and did 3 acres of Heaven privacy yet bus stop at the Electric gate and and the city of Heredia 15 minutes away by bus.. and not so lovely San Jose .San Jose a 23 minute drive to THEIR yucky Mall..Compare ours in Heredia. It's  Newer.  prettier. and shaped like castles  no adolesents hanging around smoking  "whatever".. the climate is famous with Ticos who  say:" Oh you live in the BEST Moderate Climate in our Country "  so there you have it Check it out.
Many Gringos  living in "those " places have never even SEEN  our gorgeous  area maybe we should say  :thank God  or it may by now have been converted to THE Gringo Gulch :(
WE moved here 25 years ago and have seen the charm remain.
Check it out but keep it under your belt as we really do like our REAL Costa Rica to remain unspoiled,  I let a few  friends  visit and as I thought they  MOVED here from the  "ZOO " and Santa Ana said  "HOW did you find this gem of an area ?"They now live over here  but we ok'd it  haha Hey Ownwers of Pico B;lanco ..you never go back in Years now eh?
OK John and Flor  I am Glad you love it here.,,,just a 25 minute drive away  from the  "ZOO"  as  Escazu is referred to over here  :)     but  Heredia and its surrounding Hills are a WORLD apart..so be sure to check it out..UNLESS of course you need  to feel as though you are in USA or  Canada , I mean the crowded  big Cities as Canada has some gorgeous spots.'

( We are only a 40 minute drive from the most famous with the largest crater Volcano Poas..and oh  the famous 20 minutes from the Airport SJO. but that is  no LIE ,

Believe me you will be blown away with the beauty  and Views of Volcanoes and City Lights  ) as you  drive around here,  not so much the Country Club road which is gathering Gringos by the month ...but in the Concepcion se San Rafael  de Heredia ) f...where temps hover at 80 to 85deg Far, and NO Humidity.
1 mile away from my 3 acres of Heaven as it is known is the large  magnificent Church of  San Isidro de Heredia  (which graces many a guide book .but fortunately has not become as the Basilica has , a tourist trap.
Charming places  with all the modern upscale and " downscale " Lunch ing juice $$5 )  restaurants to enjoy. ]OF course to each his own but I dare you not to love it:) Wherever you settle CHECK out other areas first... Good Luck sorry no time to edit so scuse typos ,

Thanks Dave, I've saved your info and might see about staying one of my two weeks in one of these cabins.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for !

Rick

Hola Rick,
The nice thing about the cabins is that they are very centrally located to explore in many directions.  They are just off the pista - 10 minutes to San Ramon, 45 minutes to Atenas, 50 minutes from airport, 1 hour from San Jose area, 45 minutes or less to Puntarenas/ferries and 2 hours from nice beaches.  Pacific coast is about three hours from here and the Caribbean about 3.5-4 hours.  There's also a bus stop within a few blocks of the cabins.

If you have any questions about the area or whatever, please feel free to ask.

- Expat Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll definitely check it out.\\

Rick

I second Dave's recommendation of San Ramon. Yes there are micro-climates here and all over Costa Rica. You can go a few miles away and find a very different climate! So you can't try one area near San Ramon and say "San Ramon is too cold" or "San Ramon is too foggy" - it varies on which part around San Ramon.

In fact where we live , just west of San Ramon, it can get quite cool at night, to the point of reaching for another blanket! (We are from a warm climate.)

San Ramon has a lot to offer - a bustling town with everything you need, a great weekly fresh vege/fruit market, nice people, banks, cinema, hospital, mall, supermarkets, etc etc.

Best to live in  the exact area you want to move to before you move there!

Try the forums and gringocentral etc for rentals near San Ramon, you might find a good deal or even house sitting if you know someone to recommend you or have references... I have stayed around San Ramon for as little as $10-15/night. But it was through contacts I made, not advertised cabins or hotels...

I am American and have lived here for 8 years in San Ramon Alajuela which is in the mountains west of San Jose and about 40 minutes from the airport. It is a very conservative town and offers a lot of excellent amenities including GRINGO CENTRAL. This is a group of mostly Americans but includes other foreigners such as Germans and Italians who get together at local coffee shops as well as have regular meetings .
I actually have live in Santiago just outsde San Ramon which is a small village  but still part of the San Ramon postal office area of delivery. Google San Ramon Alajuela Costa Rica and you can find a lot of info on it.  It is a very clean and has very little crime. The locals are very friendly.
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Rick-
Thank you for your response. You are one of several who have recommended the San Ramon area. One town that keeps coming up is Heredia, which sounds like it has the climate and atmosphere I'm looking for. One thing that bothers me is the conflicting information I'm getting on the cost of living in different areas.  I'd like to find a neighborhood that has clean, safe rentals at about $800-1000 per month. Is it difficult to find houses to rent in your area?  Another response I've been getting is from people who say "If I knew what I know now, I would have retired to a different country." When I ask their reasons, several have said that Panama is a better choice for retirees these days. Of course not everyone is going to be happy or have the same opinions, but I am relying a lot on what people (like you) tell me about the different towns and situations they've encountered.  Again, I really appreciate your time and information.
Rick

PANAMA is too hot
Yes there are many rentals in the San Ramon area especially where i live in Santiago 2 minutes from San Ramon. You can get a great rental for your price range 800-1000.  Could also try Angeles just 5 minutes outside San Ramon   Many Americans live there.  Quite honestly Heredia is a sxxxhole . Stay away from the
San Jose metropolitan area. You will regret it

Each to their own...

I live in Palmares and by coincidence visited Santiago/San Rafael area yesterday and loved it, very nice; in my case a little away from the schools in Palmares but a very nice area nevertheless

Rick-
I appreciate the info. It's good to get different opinions with information to back them up. It's a lot more useful than a philosophical rebuttal with no information at all.  I'm looking for suggestions on places to stay in the San Ramon area for a couple of weeks in April, maybe 2 locations, one week each.  I've been checking TicoTimes, and Trip Advisor, any tips would be appreciated. Hopefully I can use this trip to decide where to look for a longer term rental.  Also, if you know of any good tours or seminars I could check out, I'm hoping to get some ideas there too.  Again, Thanks.   Rick

Bet hotel in San Ramon is Hotel La Posada  they have a website. Be sure to search San Ramon Alajuela. and is very close to the center city. 5 minutes walk. Another is San Ramon Hotel.  Not the best but a little cheaper. Outside of these 2  no others

Been in Puerto viejo the Caribbean side and loving it. No chain stores people are great, lots of food choices to choose from, weather has been beautiful. I would suggest a trip over and check it out, definitely a hidden gem.

Ricky FAR from a HIDDEN Gem to those of us who have lived here many years  (I have lived here 25 years and lived practically all over CR before setttling in OUR paradise ..but Puerto Viejo is also mentioned in Gude books as ine of the "Dangerous spots"
in CR,,Many turn a blind eye to the dangers if the Caribbean Coast because   yes it is pretty,,I used to send ALL my B&B guests there 6 years ago BEFORE the Influx if Heavy drugs dir to Columbian Cartels ..SO you are in the Honeymoon faze but take care... it looks safe but is NOT,,unfortunately,,,but if you decide to live there I know of a few Gringos trying to sell their properties and cannot so maybe you will be interested
as we all say "They can't  get you all  " :) and takes living there a while

I have an OLDER well known guide book which has in one chapter . ".Caribbean Coast"
with the Heading  ' DRUGS SEX AND THEFT,,  and it has gotten much worse since written by an author who has niothing to gain by telling it as it is to save lives .. They do not publisize the crime too much of course they do not want to discoutrage tourism Youu MAY read that Gringos living there are atemting to form their own " VIGILANTE Police citizens group  " because most police are afraid to work the Caribbean these days,,sad but true.
Of  course you will not read much  about the crimes so as not to ruin tourism over there but I feel sorry for my friends who are stuck there after buying on impulse
Take Care !

HEREDIA IS A SxxxHOLE ?? you say  LOL .you must NEVER have set foot here ..Or are you selling something in your area you are desperately premoting?? I
have to laugh at your absurd remark   and For those wanting to see lovely HEREDIA a LARGE PROVINCE with many climates  and atmospkeres ,,ASK  a lovely coupkle from Texas on this site who visited me just YESTERDAY ,,,,we went for a fantasic shrimp garlic Lunch in out village of San rafael de Heredia..then we drove around  the hills and different areas and climates  which they were Blown away by the beiauty,charm and friendliness..I will look up their nicknames  Real names I do not think they will mind me  telling  are Laura and Dan,,,
They LOVED the mild sunny climates and also  the cooler up N areas  3 minutes away,,,with pine trees which look like Switzerland .I hope to host them fpr dinner  before they return to Texasso nice they are,,,but at night they can also drink in the  NIGHTIME awesome Twinkling lights as they have already enjpyed the daytime Views of scenery and Volcano view was for next visit from my farm 10 minutes from TOWN of Heredia...
Folks ask them they have nothing to gain by luying about Hereda..We do have a jail here LOL you will see them on this site asking and getting lots of our opinions and ,mmay not need to see their Nicknames ..JEEZ if that is the TYPE of Person who Lives THERE and calls lovely places SxxxHOLES I would stay WELL away for THAT area :) IS he selling or trying to sell his house there ? LOL

Hotel Posada is a good way to know the TOWN of San Ramon. If you want to know the mountain area the other recommendations might be a way to find a mountain rental, but you'd need a 4x4 car, or pay $20 or so per round trip for a taxi to live in some of the mountain properties.

Another area I can sorta recommend (having never lived there but looked at property there) is Puriscal. My only problem with it is that the police there seem kind of aggressive in terms of parking tickets and the road to and from there is very windy and steep - meaning if you get behind someone you'd best "take it easy" 'cause you won't be able to pass.

A lot of people like Grecia and Atenas.

Hello, My husband and I will be traveling to CR in January to explore where we would settle in. Would you be willing to meet with us somewhere outdoors? Thank you

Hello, My husband and I will be traveling to CR in January to explore where we would settle in. Would you be willing to meet with us somewhere outdoors? Thank you

Hello,

Feel free to chat with me more on my whats app would love to help advise you settling in here.  I have gone through all the ropes for over 3 years.  Would hate to see someone else go through all that work.

There are 3 different regions with 3 different pros and cons.  Im in the south pacific and have a home for rent if you decide to explore this region.  Again ive had experience relocating others and love to assist.  My whats app is ***.  Dont forget the plus

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you. I'd love to learn more. It looks like you are in Dominical. My husband and I will be there Jan 18-21. Would you meet up for drinks or coffee at an outdoor location? We can drive to the place convenient for you.