Passport left in washer

My wife put my pants in the washer with my Canadian passport in one of the pant's pocket. The passport is damaged.

Can I just get a new 10 year passport and have my entry time of stay transferred over. Will I lose the VEC? If I lose the VEC how will I extend my stay in Vietnam after my 6 months is over?

Un-needed headache having to travel back and forth into Ho chi minh city. Yesterday I showed up at 10:25am at the Canada consulate and they said they were close at 10:30 so I was planning to come to consulate today. Hence reason why I left passport in pocket.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/s … stolen.asp

Generally speaking even if a passport is cancelled or expired, the visas contained therein remain valid until their normal expiry. Just make sure you request that the old passport be returned to you.

Is you VEC still legible? If so it should remain valid. Once you receive your new Canada Passport if you're really concerned about the VEC then take the new and old passports to your local immigration office and ask them if they will transfer it into the new passport, or if it would even be necessary.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team