Changes to site. So what?

After all the whoohaaa what we have is the same old site, same functionality, same problems (no meetup functionality) and same old bulletin board structure.

What a dissapointment in my opinion. Just new graphics and a slightly more confusing navigation system on a smart phone. A lick of new paint on same old house.

Owner really wasted money in my opinion.

The main issue with this site is that is a bulletin board. It encourages anonymous activity - and arguments - but moderators stamp down on arguments. So defeats the purpose of a bulletin board doh!

This also discourages networking and people want to do that. Why wasnt a meetup style networking functionality added? Like the far more successful competitor I dare not mention. They have a far better business model. There you make friends, get jobs and get quality information.

I was hoping for real change.

The now dead alloexpat site has exactly the same format as this site and died as facebook does the same but better. Expat sites need to be about meeting people.

Nice opinion with one minor fault in your argument - it's rubbish.

This site is an expat related site, not facebook or a 'men seeking men' place.
If it's either facebook friends or dating you're looking for, facebook and dating sites are available, as are the classifieds sections of this forum.

The main issue with this site is that is a bulletin board. It encourages anonymous activity - and arguments - but moderators stamp down on arguments. So defeats the purpose of a bulletin board doh!

This site does not encourage arguments (as you well know), nor does it allow any racist or bigoted posts (As you have found out).
If you want to post rubbish about how nasty any given country or its people are, you are free to do that on a wide selection of sites that allow or encourage rubbish arguments about race/religion/whatever, but this site is a mutual help forum aimed at expats (but very welcoming to local members from any country), not some daft bigotfest.

Hello there Nemodot,

Thank you for your comments on the website.

As far as networking is concerned, we do have a new section on the present website so as members can organise meet ups and other activities : Events in Malaysia. it will take some time so that members get used to this section but we are gradually redirecting them.

As for the functionalities of the website (graphics, browsing through) there is a mail where you can contact the Team and expose those issues and propose your ideas : support@https://www.expat.com

Best of luck
Bhavna

Fred you are talking total rubbish and obviously are just trying to defend this site as they made you a moderator. The owner needs to look at the far more successful competition. There is a far better international expat site that offers far higher quality advice for expats as it has a real live community. Expats want to

* get advice on moves and jobs - the other site has real advice especially as you meet real people. I have helped people get jobs there by puttting them in contact with the right people. We all help each other. The main difference is that no one is anon their. But real people you meet. On Expat.com all you get is useless advice like "dont give up" and "try jobstreet". What people want is real contacts who can help. Or at least share a beer with others who have had similar issues!

+ anon forums (expat othherwise) encourage stupid behaviour like treating it like a dating site / scam site. When you are known for real you have to watch your behaviour. Whereas the other forum you are accoutable for what you say

* meet people for friendship. Oveeseas and alone or just with family? Doh! Of course people want to meet for friendship. Whats wrong with that?

* meet people for business. Ok financial sales people and peddlers of yuramid schemes do appear but easily ignored. The rest are genuine. I know a while bunch of head hunters, relocation agents, yogis and even a pschologost or two. All via the other site. If i need a doctor or a dentist i am sorted quickly. Everything I need as i know one or someone knows one.

What is Expat.com good for? I looked at malaysia and no real advice worrh much. The pure online model does not work. When will the owner of this site wake up and smell the coffee?

Well, I'm not a moderator, so that sort of puts your conclusion into question.
As for why I like this site, it's because people here haved helped me a lot, I het the chance to repay the favour, and there are very few moaning minnies but lots of helpful people.

There was something mentioned about how this site is runbish but another is great.

Use that if you like and leave this to positive minded people.
The site's admin and mods are to polite to say this, but I'm from Yorkshire (a place diplomats don't come from), so bog off to the other site if you hate this one so much. :)

All your problems are solved in one easy move, and you can yell people how horrible Pakistan is without having your posts deleted.

I should add...

I'm not employed by this site, get no payment of any sort, nor speak for the site.
My opinions are mine, expressed as I see.

If I agreed with the OP, I would say so, but it's rubbish, so I don't.

Hello

@Nemodot : Your suggestions to help us make the site much more user friendly will be more useful if sent on the email we have specially  created [email protected].

The developpers will get your suggestions and do their best as soon as possible.

Thank you

Kenjee
Expat.com