Prepaid internet or Melita + changing address?

Hi everyone,

I need advice regarding internet. We had a second viewing in our dream property yesterday and put a deposit down :) Problem: The place isn't actually available end of December but end of January! The landlord was very apologetic though and offered to accommodate us in the apartment below which we also viewed and liked. There's no internet though and we absolutely need it (I work from home).

My question is: Can we get Melita internet for 1 1/2 months in the apartment (that's how long it would be approx.) and then move the connection to the penthouse above? How long does a move usually take and would it incur a charge?

I was also thinking about prepaid internet plans. Has anyone had a good experience with a certain provider? We would need quite fast speeds, especially upload (I'm hosting Citrix webinars with 50 people or more).

I'm also worried we might not be able to get internet in the apartment since we have no rental agreement for it, only the penthouse! Is this the case or can you just walk into a shop, show your passport, fill in a form with the address and off you go?

Lastly, would we need a Maltese bank account for the billing? My partner doesn't have one yet as his employer actually recommended keeping the Irish one for now. Apparently it took employees months to get one (stricter criteria?) and they are happy paying into his Irish account. I hope this won't be a problem when applying for internet :(

Thanks in advance!
Melanie

blackangelheart wrote:

Hi everyone,

I need advice regarding internet. We had a second viewing in our dream property yesterday and put a deposit down :) Problem: The place isn't actually available end of December but end of January! The landlord was very apologetic though and offered to accommodate us in the apartment below which we also viewed and liked. There's no internet though and we absolutely need it (I work from home).

My question is: Can we get Melita internet for 1 1/2 months in the apartment (that's how long it would be approx.) and then move the connection to the penthouse above? How long does a move usually take and would it incur a charge?

I was also thinking about prepaid internet plans. Has anyone had a good experience with a certain provider? We would need quite fast speeds, especially upload (I'm hosting Citrix webinars with 50 people or more).

I'm also worried we might not be able to get internet in the apartment since we have no rental agreement for it, only the penthouse! Is this the case or can you just walk into a shop, show your passport, fill in a form with the address and off you go?

Lastly, would we need a Maltese bank account for the billing? My partner doesn't have one yet as his employer actually recommended keeping the Irish one for now. Apparently it took employees months to get one (stricter criteria?) and they are happy paying into his Irish account. I hope this won't be a problem when applying for internet :(

Thanks in advance!
Melanie

Have you tried asking Melita?

Ray

Not yet but will do in the next few days :)

You don't need a Maltese bank account no, you can pay by card or cash

You can move a connection, I had a 2 year contract initially and moved after 13 months, no charge.

Tell them when you sign up

I would recommend you go into the Melita shop by GS Supermarket (Naxxar) and sign up, and tell them the situation. Then they can schedule the move ahead too.

These things are pretty striaght-forward here, yes. Passport, deposit (you will have too pay small deposit until you get ID card probably) and off you go. Someone else who recently moved had hers installed next day  :)

socialwhirl wrote:

You don't need a Maltese bank account no, you can pay by card or cash

You can move a connection, I had a 2 year contract initially and moved after 13 months, no charge.

Tell them when you sign up

I would recommend you go into the Melita shop by GS Supermarket (Naxxar) and sign up, and tell them the situation. Then they can schedule the move ahead too.

These things are pretty striaght-forward here, yes. Passport, deposit (you will have too pay small deposit until you get ID card probably) and off you go. Someone else who recently moved had hers installed next day  :)

Fantastic, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks socialwhirl :)

Good to know they're so fast, too, I was worried it could take weeks! The deposit is something we expected anyway and we're used to it from Ireland. We will move to Naxxar on the 17th and will definitely check out the shop near GS :)

I can confirm  that Melita  do not charge for moving the internet to  a new address.
We have just moved and all we had to do was phone Melita and book the day (AM / PM ) you want to move, they ask you to take the equipment to the new address on that day and the engineer fits it and checks the connection.

Keep your Irish bank  account.

Terry

to be fair, my deposit came back once I had sent in a  copy of my eRes card

I may be late to this but can I please sound the warning bugle about Melita. Absolutely get it only if the other major telecomms provider Go p.l.c. can't be subscribed to (as they insist on direct debits etc.).

I have no problem with Melita and you can choose how to pay your bills.
I pay mine on line and NOT by DD.

Terry

Congratulations, it works for you. For me, it was a horrendous experience. Getting out was difficult to a point I involved consumer protection.

Thanks for your input MaltaAugust2014 - I'm wondering what happened to you that you had to involve consumer protection? Did you try to downgrade or disconnect? I've heard most problems and complaints come up for these two reasons but tbh I found this difficult with ALL telecom providers in every country I've lived (Virgin Media in the UK were the worst btw!).

We finally got internet and have been very happy with Melita so far. Walked into the shop, got the 30mbit + phone bundle for €25 (I think), €60 deposit because we don't have an ID card yet and that was it. It was 6pm and we were asked what time the technician should come round the next day! We didn't need it until the week after but technically could have got internet in less than 24 hours. Now that's amazing :)

On the day we got a call from the technician asking us when he should come round. He brought the modem with him and you pay the installation + modem fee in cash to him. The guy was very efficient and friendly and 15mins later we were connected to the world again! ;)

No direct debit needed, in fact, we didn't even talk about that at all. Maybe it helped that we both came straight from the estate agents contract signing and wore suits? I always found the Maltese approached me in a super polite manner when I wore business outfits.