Advice to soon-to-be expatriate in Canada

My name is Daniel (Dan) and I am expecting to move to Winnipeg by March 2016 with a Permanent Residence Visa. I dream to have a place and a purpose in the society, to feel like a local.I like to observe and learn from the locals.

Why Cananda, and why Winnipeg? I didn't get the luxury of choosing the city, was the only chance I got to be accomodated & get support at first, while I try to be self-sufficient and Independent, therefore I need to learn how things work. The opinions about Winnipeg as a place to live seem to have a rather wide range stretching from hell on earth (terrible climate, unsafe,boring etc.) to a great place to live (Super friendly, lot's of cultural stuff, good nightlife, a climate that isn't all that bad ). Thanks to great people I have heard enoug information about the cold :) - Canada's inclusivness and lifestyle  attaracted me of course !

I am coming with an open mind, I am not afraid of the cultural shock though I absolutely have no idea how I am going to start my life, which makes everything much more exciting, in one way.

If you were in my place, what would you wish someone to tell you in advance, in particular regarding the following :

1. useful other LINKS, Facebook pages, etc. to FIND WORK, ROOM to rent, COMMUNITY pages, besides this one of expats.com. I would like to start applying for jobs in the customer care/hospitality fields possibly. I've always been very keen on languages, hope it helps.Is it easy for an expat to find a job in Winnipeg? Here in Malta/Europe we mostly send online applications since most of the job listings are on the internet. I heard in Canada, the employers just expect you to walk right in with a resume on your hand and ask for any open positions, is it true?

2. Any suggestions/tips about cheapest Airlines, don't mind indirect flights, from any city in Europe to Toronto/Vancover, and later to Winnipeg?

I really look forward to building real connections ! Once I've found my  place and fully integrated, I want to help new-comers. Expat community is my favorite community so far: met coolest, genuine, culturally rich, educated and experienced people who embrace difference of culture and make the best out of it:).I owe this wonderful community, gave me so much!

Thanks in advance !
Dan

Just to add to my previous post, I better have information as much as possible before I move to Winnipeg:

- What is the cost of living in Winnipeg? For example:
           > rent accommodation, utility bills (electricity, water, gas, landline, internet, etc.)
           > public transportation or gasoline if you have the car. What do you think of the means of public transportation in Winnipeg?
           > Food (how much does it cost per month, depending on whether you live alone or have a family)

- How do people live in Winnipeg? What are the main pros and cons? Have you experienced any difficulties in settling down in Winnipeg or was easy to adapt to the local way of life?

- Any advise to be give to newcomers apart from the cold advice :) ?

Thank you lovely community !

Dan

Try www.numbeo.com for cost of living...

Thank you Stumpy :)

Dan Obama wrote:

My name is Daniel (Dan) and I am expecting to move to Winnipeg by March 2016 with a Permanent Residence Visa. I dream to have a place and a purpose in the society, to feel like a local.I like to observe and learn from the locals.

Why Cananda, and why Winnipeg? I didn't get the luxury of choosing the city, was the only chance I got to be accomodated & get support at first, while I try to be self-sufficient and Independent, therefore I need to learn how things work. The opinions about Winnipeg as a place to live seem to have a rather wide range stretching from hell on earth (terrible climate, unsafe,boring etc.) to a great place to live (Super friendly, lot's of cultural stuff, good nightlife, a climate that isn't all that bad ). Thanks to great people I have heard enoug information about the cold :) - Canada's inclusivness and lifestyle  attaracted me of course !

Winnipeg is a good spot to start out. If I were you I'd say I'm bless to start out with a smaller sized city than your average Toronto/ Vancouver/ Montreal. Why? Its a good size to deal with. Unless you're the party animal and love the city smog and "busy-ness", perhaps Winnipeg may be tad bit mellow for you. However, unlike other mid-sized city, Winnipeg has a growing potential. It has been net positive population growth for a few years now. And the fact that Ikea open an outlet there tells you alot. Not only that, recently the Jets decided to make Winnipeg their home base - Jets are a NHL team (ice hockey). You don't get that in mid-sized Saskatoon or Halifax.

Dan Obama wrote:

I am coming with an open mind, I am not afraid of the cultural shock though I absolutely have no idea how I am going to start my life, which makes everything much more exciting, in one way.

That's good. Canada should have more immigrants like you. Also be open to the food!

Dan Obama wrote:

1. useful other LINKS, Facebook pages, etc. to FIND WORK, ROOM to rent, COMMUNITY pages, besides this one of expats.com. I would like to start applying for jobs in the customer care/hospitality fields possibly. I've always been very keen on languages, hope it helps.Is it easy for an expat to find a job in Winnipeg? Here in Malta/Europe we mostly send online applications since most of the job listings are on the internet. I heard in Canada, the employers just expect you to walk right in with a resume on your hand and ask for any open positions, is it true?

Depending on what kind of job you are looking - certain jobs wouldn't allow you to just walk right in. So becareful with that.

Links for buy/sell second hand or services or rent that Canadians use most of the time:
www.kijiji.ca
Also do a quick search on Facebook for any winnipeg buy/sell group

For jobs, use indeed.ca / workapolis.ca / careerbeacon.ca / monster.ca

Dan Obama wrote:

2. Any suggestions/tips about cheapest Airlines, don't mind indirect flights, from any city in Europe to Toronto/Vancover, and later to Winnipeg?

I have no clue. Don't fly frequently to Europe though. Maybe try the new Icelandic airline - wowair and also flying within canada is usually cheaper with westjet or porters

Dan Obama wrote:

I really look forward to building real connections ! Once I've found my  place and fully integrated, I want to help new-comers. Expat community is my favorite community so far: met coolest, genuine, culturally rich, educated and experienced people who embrace difference of culture and make the best out of it:).I owe this wonderful community, gave me so much!

Thanks in advance !
Dan

Awesome! Is Obama your real Last name?

Thank you, Thank you PHILIP for your detailed reply and for the overall insight of Winnipeg. I am glad to hear from you and to know that Winnipeg is not that bad, is actually cool :). Obama is my nickname..... I can't find words to Thank you :)

Hi Dan, Winnipeg IS cold in the winter, but you get used to it. The first winter might be hard, but the second winter, you will feel proud of yourself for being almost immune to the cold. Just learn to dress for it and it's fine. We just had a week of -27 and now the weekend is -15, I walked out in a t-shirt to put my garbage out. If it gets down to -10 I might put my spring jacket on. You really do get used to it. And you will really appreciate the summers ( 22 to  32) and never take them for granted! Lots of festivals in the summer. And lots of beaches, national parks within an hours drive.

It's only "unsafe" in certain areas, and crime is mostly caused between people who know each other, very rarely is it random, so as long as you're not hanging with known criminals, you should be fine. It's like any city in Canada. (or anywhere) Some areas should be avoided. In most areas of the city, I would feel perfectly safe walking around at all hours.

Yes it IS super friendly, even compared to other cities in Canada. I moved here temporarily from Montreal, 20 years ago, and am still here because of friends I met. Winnipeg is the largest "small town" you will ever live in. Everyone seems to know everyone. I find that 80% of Winnipeggers who move to other cities always seem to come back here.

In Canada, looking for a job nowadays is mostly done online.  To start, you could look at

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/job_search_res … =pv&sort=Dhttp://www.workopolis.com/jobsearch/job … g-manitoba

Apparently there are also jobs advertised on kijiji.

Renting is not as easy. You may have to,  at first, accept any place, so that you can get references and from there move into a better place.

You could start by googling Winnipeg rent. A few links came up for me. Also again, Kijiji for sublets. I'm rusty on renting though, since I'v owned my house for the last 10 years.   

The cost of living is way cheaper here than in Toronto and Vancouver (both extremely expensive)

I have a car, but I hear always of people complaining about Public transportation here. People aren't happy because there is no subway etc, but Winnipeg is too small for a subway. The buses are reliable and in the winter, some of the bus stops have heated bus shelters.

It costs me and my partner (no kids) about $400 to feed ourselves. Shop at Real Canadian Superstore or Giant Tiger or even Walmart for best prices.  Produce is going up though because of droughts in California but it's going up everywhere, not just here. 

I'm a passionate Winnipegger. Really love it here, so I may be biased. I like it much better than Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver. Mostly because it's cheaper, friendly and interesting in a strange way that I can't properly describe.

Thank you Canadianborn for your information ! It gives a lot of credit when it comes from your experience having been in the UK and US and back to Canada, loving it !!! The cold of 'Winterpeg' do freak me out,however many, including you, are encouraging me that I will get used to it one way or another. The fact that it's cheaper, friendly and interesting in a strange way compensates the cold, and I am glad I am coming soon :)
Thank you again, you made a difference in making me feel at ease !!!