Is 1300 KWD a Good Salary for a teaching Faculty at AUM?

Hello,

I just got an offer of 1300 KWD as a teaching faculty at AUM (American University of the Middle East). The salary does not include accommodation and transportation. The offer comes with insurance and 40 days of annual leave as well as an annual ticket to/from my home country.

I am single, late 20s and I am planning to live next to AUM (preferably in 1 bedroom apartment). I also plan on buying a used car and use it for my daily transportation. I also usually cook at home, but occasionally (twice a week) eat outside. How much will I be able to save out of the 1300 KWD? How much my expenses (on average) will be? Thank you!

Hello Sky_Science!

Welcome to expat.com. You have not mentioned your previous work experience. Although I do not have any idea about the prevalent salary scale for teachers and lecturers etc in Kuwait or at the AUM, but I can say that since you are all by yourself, the salary offered is not bad for a start.

Regarding expenses, a 1 Bedroom fully furnished Apartment in nearby areas starts from 300-325 KD/Month rent. Food, groceries & households can be managed within a maximum of 100 KD. A used car will cost 400 - 500 KD depending on the make and the model and fuel will cost maximum 20 KD. The other expenses like internet, mobile, dining out etc  would cost another 50-75 KD.

So you can safely expect a total expenditure of around 550 - 600 KD and your savings will be around 650 - 700 KD. Of course everything will depend on the choices you make.

So there you go, this is what you can expect while staying here in Kuwait. Will it be good enough for you? Only you can decide.

Good Luck and welcome aboard!!

Thank you all for your responses! I am actually a holder of a Master's degree from a US university. I graduated only two years ago. I have 4 years of teaching experience (as instructor and teaching assistant). I got hired by AUM as a Teaching Assistant (Teaching Labs only and not lectures). Is 1300 KD still a good salary for a holder of a Master's Degree with 4 years of teaching experience? Please let me know. Also, how much does it cost to buy a used car (say 2007-2008 South Korean or Japanese Model like Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota)? Also, can you use your Canadian Driver's License to drive in Kuwait?

For the car, you can check at the certified used cars showroom for each brand. However, they will be slightly overpriced to what you could find in the open market - the cost of dealer certification.

Alternative is to check out a website like http://kuwait.q8car.com/ar/cars/default.aspx

Personal advice - go with certified. Less hassle and you can negotiate a service package from them.

HTH

1300 Kd is too less I guess , you must negotiate more as I guess u must get Upto 2500 or more all the best

Hello,

If you'd like, I would be happy to visit with you more about Kuwait and the cost associated with living here. I am from the united Stated as well and I have been here 10 years.  If you would like to visit by phone please send me a email with you name and number toxxx
Have a great day!

Joshua

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey,

Regarding your Canadian license you can get an international drivers license from any AMA/CAA or registry office I believe, so long as you don't have a residency in Kuwait you can use the international license. However you will need a Kuwait license as soon as you get the residency. Your PROs can help you with getting one. You should be fine finding a place and depending on your driving experience you may want to get a taxi for the first month or so till you decide what to do. You can get a taxi for about 150 KD per month that'll take you where you want. Or you can go with a fully insured rental car for about 180-200 KD/MO.

I'm also a Canadian living in Kuwait if you want any further advice PM me on Facebook (Joe Sak) and I'll send you my personal contact info.

Dont listen to the ppl who tell u to take less .. Im sure they dont even get 500 kd ;p . Trust me accept the offer

If u have any question just tell me im a Kuwaity :)

Hi
Firstly, 1300 is an excellent salary.
Except to lay around 200/250 KD for rent
Expect to spend around 80 KD for food
Gaz oil for car will cost you around 50 KD
Misc. Entertainment 40 KD
Average savings 800 KD
$20,000 a year savings ( pretty nice)

Kuwait is nice place to live U S citizens have high regards here , you must come and work here , no taxes at all just listen your inner voice and take a step .

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : off topic + for your job search, please post an ad in the jobs section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi.
Im egyptian non-native english speaker. Fresher as i've been graduated from portsaid civil engineering university . I have applied in AUM as instructor . Could you give me some advices in interviewing ?. How do i prepare for an interview? And what is the expected salary ?

Hi.
Im egyptian non-native english speaker. Fresher as i've been graduated from portsaid civil engineering university . I have applied in AUM as instructor . Could you give me some advices in interviewing ?. How do i prepare for an interview? And what is the expected salary ?

Lolipooop
You must have master degree to work  as an instructor at AUM.

Hi
I found your query in expat.com regarding salary in  AUM  kuwait.
Could i know if joined in AUM kuwait? . Is there any opening for Phd holders in computer/IT segment?

plz reply me
joseph p

Dears,
Please advice me if is 300 KD a good salary for accountant position at AUM in kuwait