My flights got screwed up! Help!

Hello All,

My flights go messed up and I need some help.  I was to fly into Santiago (December 23rd) and fly out of Santo Domingo (January 4th).  At least that is what I thought...

So... No here are my options:

#1. Pay an additional $500 and change the tickets to the correct dates ans times

#2.  Fly round trip into Punta Cana and take a bus (or something) to Puerto Plata (for the first leg of the trip) and then from Santo Domingo ( the last leg of my trip)

Eitherway , I am in for a loooooong bus ride from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata and from Santo Domingo back to Punta Cana.

Can you please give me the best advise?  I have read so many times, that I should not rent a car, although that seems to be the best bet time-wise.

Thanks in advance...

Renting a car is absurd. Gas price here is the highest in the caribbean. You're talking $1,000 U.S. by renting a car plus gas and you may get lost or jacked.  For all that fly from STI to PUJ. Catch buses between POP and STI.  The straight bus way is Bavaro Express to Santo Domingo then a taxi-cab to Caribe Tour to Puerto Plata then vice versa on your return. As to future reference next time fly into Santiago, D.R. or into one airport and out of another. The  big buses are relatively safe.  Another option is to stay put and appreciate your situation. Been there done that. Live here now. Go slow, enjoy. Safe travels. Happy Holidays.

I agree make your flights work and re adjust your trip plans.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums.  I will assume that you already have reservations/plans in Puerto Plata. So your plane got screwed up -  there are ways to get to where you need to go.

What time do you fly into  Punta Cana?   If early enough take the  Bavaro Express from  PUJ to  Santo Domingo.  You will likely need to overnight -  the last  bus from Caribe Tours is  7pm from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata.  They start up again at like  6 am or something crazy and run on the hour.  If you overnight you can also take Metro Bus to Puerto Plata in the morning.

Back from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo -  you can use Caribe Tours or Metro. Then the Bavaro express to Punta Cana.

Bus from  Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata is about  380 RD - takes about  4 hours.  From  PUJ to Santo Domingo is about  350RD - takes about  2 1/2 hours.   Taxi  from airport to Bavaro Express  - no idea. Taxi from  Bavaro Express to  Caribe Tours - about 250 RD.

Depending on the time of your return flight you might need to go a day early! You are not likely to get from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana by  bus in time for any flight.

If your Spanish is okay and you don't have much luggage a bus is your cheapest way. I road the bus all over the countryside without any problems.

Other wise you can rent a car just make sure you have phone services for your GPA so you know how to get from point A to point B unless you have someone with you that knows the country and how to get around pretty well!

Yes bus is the cheapest way to get around.   

As a rule we do not advise you to rent a car!  Unless you know exactly where you are going, speak fluent Spanish and can drive defensively and aggressively  its NOT a good idea.  IF you choose to do this buy all the insurance and make sure it includes  Casa de Conductor. Remember in case of ANY accident it will be YOUR fault!  In case of accident locals will act first ask questions later which is often too late!

we rent our cars out to americans

Only Americans??? Not Dominicans, Brits, Canadians etc???

Bob K

wesleyinmd wrote:

My flights go messed up and I need some help.  I was to fly into Santiago (December 23rd) and fly out of Santo Domingo (January 4th).  At least that is what I thought...

Missing something here... just who screwed up the flights???

If it was the travel agent or airline, then why would you be charged any extra fee for correcting the error? They should absorb that cost!

If you made a mistake in booking the flights, well that's a whole different story.

I'd say that if you're looking at $1000 a week to rent a car and still face that looooooong drive anyway. Or pay for a bus and take forever the $500 fee to change the flight dates, times and locations seems to be your best option, if the booking errors were made by you or you've just changed your original plans for some reason.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

no one from Tennessee

Yes Bob I did not know I had to be so specific. of course we rent to Dominicans My whole family is Dominican. if you have cash we rent

@Texasdonkey
Hi just wonder what is your rate and where are you locate ? Thanks

We are in Puerto Plata close to center of city. We have two for rent and both rented for 450.00 a month for Christmas..
2006 ford escape and 2014 Skoda 4 dr sedan. We have a Dominican friend that handles all the renting so I am not sure how much he tacks on.

@Texasdonkey
Thanks so much for the infos , I may need the skoda for a week or so for the middle of February , if you do rent for a short term as well .

Can anyone recommend a nice safe centrally located hotel there in Puerto Plata. This being my first trip to the DR. I am going to spend 15 days there in hopes I will like he place well enough to make a decision on planting my feet for a while.

Thanks
Richard

Answered your other post.  Try not to post multiple times with the same questions.

Again you might want to look at some of the surrounding towns.

Bob K

Techmo  - please take note that  posting your question on a thread NOT related is called highjacking and is just bad etiquette.

I am pretty sure you were not aware so now worries.