Working As A Freelance Writer In Belize Legalities

Hello!

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can help me out with :)

I'm an American considering moving to Belize. I currently work as a self-employed freelancer. All of my work is completed remotely and online. In addition, all of my clients are located in the U.S.

My question would be, would I need a work permit while I'm in Belize? I'm not planning on taking any new clients while I am there until I achieve permanent residency, but as you know, this is year long process.

While I know I must reside in Belize for 1 year before applying for residency, I was not sure what my status would be as a freelancer in terms of work eligibility.

Again, I would not be seeking new work or new clients just yet, but rather moving the location of my current work so to speak if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Seems like there are lots of non residents working online with income generated outside of Belize.
Also, you may apply for residency after one year. To obtain your residency status may well
take another year.

I'm also a freelance author, building my new home in Belize.
The answer is no. You only need a work permit if actually working in Belize.
Our work is on-line, with clients out of country.
The Pirate

You do not need a work permit to work for non-Belizean clients outside of Belize. No one knows what you are doing on your computer. The Belizean government won't tap into your computer and check what you are doing. The main concern is when expats come into the country and try to obtain work that a Belizean can do. For instance, if you wanted to write for a resort or development in Belize that would be problematic, as there are Belizeans who can write well, and who will accept much lower pay than you might. You would need a work permit to work for a Belizean business, at the least, until you become a resident. But you will make much more money working for North American clients, so why bother trying to earn money as a writer in Belize? Belizeans will do it at a much lower rate than you would. The average Belizean makes under $10000/year.

Once you become a resident you're supposed to pay income taxes in Belize on your worldwide income. QRPs are exempt from that requirement, as they have special status as retirees. Ironically you only need to be 45 to obtain QRP status.

The reality is that the government of Belize does not check people's worldwide income. How could they  check expats' investment or direct income from the USA, Canada, or elsewhere? I've never met any expat who paid income taxes in Belize on their worldwide income.

You don't need a work permit to work in Belize if you are not actually working for a Belizean company, or with a company that does business in Belize. You can work via the internet without any concern, so long as the income you generate originates outside of Belize. You will need to obviously transfer money into Belize in order to remain in the country, and you will have to show the origin of the funds from outside of Belize, which means you will also probably need to maintain a foreign bank account. I will also be doing internet based work after we relocate.
Good luck to you , and I hope your transition goes well.