MOVING FROM THAILAND TO VIETNAM OVERLAND

Xin Chao
At the end of December My wife my Daughter My self 2 Dogs and many personnel belongings
( No furniture ) are moving from Sangkha Thailand to Hoi an Vietnam
We are looking for transportation
At the moment the situation is
Truck pick us up at Sangkha take us to Mukdaham Bus station. Unload then load on to another Vehicle which will take us across boarder to Savanakhet Laos. Unload and the find another Vehicle to take us to Vietnam.
ANY BODY HELP OR HAVE OTHER IDEA

The better Idea is to stay in Thailand:-)

Xin Chao
That comment wasn't very helpful
After my  THAI wife took my House Business Car and money
and left me destitute
I have been lucky in finding new  girlfriend who  is Vietnamese
and looks after me very well
Thai Immigration do not like Vietnamese
So every 30 days she has to travel to Nathom Phanom
Cross into Laos stay the night
Come back to Thailand next morning
Pay a Immigration entrance fee
Then back to Sangkha
Takes 2 days
Always the fear Immigration will say no to her reentry
Apart from the expense this is no way to live
Plus Thai Immigration are giving us farang a hard time
We now have to have a home visit from Immigration
and pay them petrol money
I came to retire in Thailand for a better and quieter life
Not this hassle

A better way is to move by air. Travelling by bus is not safe and takes a lot. I suggest you to enter at Danang or HCMC airport because documents for dogs are not controlled too much.
I had that kind of experience with 2 dogs from France. Be sure that you have the import documents for dogs approved by Vietnamese laws.

I suggest you to move to Hoi An in a exploration trip before, in that case visit the Dingo Deli asking to Gordon (the owner) or his wife (I remember name is Fiona but not sure), to help you for the matter of the dogs. He knows a person (she is Australian) who can help you. She helped me when I left with dogs Vietnam, unfortunately I forgot her name.

I do see a potential problem getting your possessions into Laos and out again. You would need to have receipts for everything and have the goods insured. There is a likelihood of an import / export tax.

I would suggest you look at flying into Vietnam with your belongings. The cost of excess baggage may well be less than the hassles of paying duty and  finding a truck in Laos.

Joss15's suggestion has merit regarding the dogs.

shuttlecargo.com.vn/en/inland-trucking-services/ Check this out

We traveled with Lufthansa from Paris to Saigon with a stopover in Bangkok. Not sure you can embark in Bangkok (better to ask) with dogs and many belongings but I recommend it. Lufthansa extra fare do not applies per kg of extra luggage but for each extra luggage, to transport 8 large suitcases and two dogs from Paris, one of which weighed 75 kg including the kennel and the other about 30 kg, and luggage included, I spent less than 700 euro. Check here: http://www.lufthansa.com/fr/en/Animals

I will go with stumpy's advice, if possible throw it all on a plane and pay the extra fee. Way worth it to avoid all the hassle. Leave what you can there and buy again here if possible. I think that you would be much happier here, your wife also. Better being one person in a foreign country, instead of the both of you.
Also here you can put house/property under your name (rules apply) but at least you are protected to some degree. Good luck with the move.

in your posts you refer to your good lady as your wife and your  girlfriend. Please be aware that in Vn it is illegal to live under the same roof with a Vn lady unless you can prove that you are married to her.

I wouldn't advise moving by road to Vn via Laos. I lived in Laos for nearly a year. Great place, but corrupt as hell and with a bureaucracy second to none.

Good luck with the move!

Please be aware that in Vn it is illegal to live under the same roof with a Vn lady unless you can prove that you are married to her.
UNQUOTE

This no longer appears to be true, as many foreigners in Nha Trang have lived for ten years or more with their girlfriends and continue to do so. Indeed, one says he has a "Green Book" which authorises the relationship. I  have asked him for details so that I can pass it on to this thread.

Xin Chao
Thank you
Nau has a hard time in Thailand being Vietnamese
Do not trouble in Vietnam
Roy

Moondancer wrote:

Nau has a hard time in Thailand being Vietnamese

How so? Do you mean the for personal reasons Nau has a hard time, e.g., because she is not familiar with Thai language or customs? Maybe she misses her family?

Or are you implying has she been subject to some kind of discrimination by Thais?

I ask because my Vietnamese friend and I are considering moving to Bangkok for a yearlong school program. I appreciate your insights.

Hi
Immigration is the big problem now
To stay in Thailand we couldn't her and education visa
She has a Daughter and couldn't travel back to Hanoi and try and get a 6 months visa
Plus they want to see 20000 Baht and a return ticket
So she has been travelling every month to Laos
Taking 2 days
For a 30 day tourist visa Subject to a nice Immigration Officer
No Immigration Office would help here
We live 30 minutes drive to the Cambodian border
They no help
Now Immigration are giving us farang a hard time
Now masses more  paperwork
Plus a home visit We even have to pay there petrol money

Can you get an education visa from the Thai Embassy in Vietnam

I see, Thai immigration, many many complaints now on the internet, and there are so many expats there. Foreigners are blamed for all their economic and terror problems. Your wife is from a SEA country so she has to show financial resources too.

My friend's university program doesn't start until April, her admission isn't confirmed yet. The school says they will provide education visas for her and me too, but I don't know the terms yet. I assume, like in the US, that education visas are tightly coupled to the school, and the student being registered in a particular program with dates.

Sounds like you are making the right decision to move to Vietnam. Good luck!

Thank you
I am fed up with being treated as a THIRD rate citizen
Thais only want our money NOT US

Hi moondancer and family wellcome to Vietnam and home, i have lived for a while in Thailand with my VN girlriend in  Chiang mai , i enjoyed my time there, got to know the ways a bit and its definitly less stressfull living here,  there,s  a pressure from all sides authority in Thailand, all leading to you have to pay, sort of made me feel unwelcome, ok if you had bags of cash,  Vietnam has its own set of problems but i have been welcomed every where,  The Vietnamese are happy to share their country if your are respectful,  authorities are helpful,   Never had any hassle from anyone about my relationship, and if i did i would challenge it,  you will find it your way , but i would say you have a lot to lookforward to, apart from the move !!!  Sling every thing take the teddy bear, fresh start,  good luck, ps  Hoi an is a great place, bit touristy

Xin Chao
Many thanks for your nice reply
How nice to get a positive reply
I to have had enough of Thailand
Nau is from Ha Tinh But I chose Hoi an because of the Beach and the fishing
I spent many years in Menorca and loved to go to the Restaurants in the ports and watch the boats and the world go by
So far we have a van to Mukdahan Another van to Savanakhet Laos Then find another van to take us to Hoi an
Not forgetting visa in Savanakhet
Finding a house has been difficult
But have just found one in Cam Chau overlooking the river
So if you are ever in Hoi an
Come and say hello
Roy & Nau

MANY PEOPLE SAID WE COULDN'T DO IT BUT WE DID IT !!!!!

Further to our first entry THIS IS THE STORY OF OUR OVERLAND MOVE TO VIETNAM
Our local taxis man found us a VIP mini bus from Mukdahan that would come down to Sangkha and take us to Savannakhet LAOS at a cost of 8500 Baht including tip
Our dogs where vaccinated and I down loaded a Vietnamese Vet Certification form which he completed for a modest fee
We managed to sell 95% of our furniture (silly prices)
But we still had a lot of personnel effects
The van arrived 6am, he had taken out the last 2 rows of seats. But we panicked "there won't be enough room"
After 1 hour of careful packing it all just fitted in. Not a inch to spare
8am we set off our 2 dogs sitting with us
Exiting Thailand no problem arriving Laos went through immigration OK.
Because our driver crossed over many times. Customs waved us through with out checking
We stayed at the MEKONG Guest house,old in need of a refurbishment but clean and good value 400 Baht a room.
We took 2 rooms 1 for us with A/C which broke down and water heater disconnected
The other room with hot water for our luggage
Dispite what people said on TripAdvisor the Hotel for the money was OK and the Restaurant attached very good.
The Restaurant didn't open till 9am so you had to wait for your first coffee
Now Tuesday morning off to get my Vietnamese visa,trouble is Taxis driver took us to the Thai Embassy,after getting in the queue with 30 people in front of us,No seats available or shade from the sun.We soon realized the mistake, so of to the Vietnamese Embassy.
To my surprise NO QUEUE, they where very polite and helped me with the form which cost for 3 months visa 2500 Baht
Unfortunately could not collect till 4pm the next day
So back to the Hotel for a Laos Beer.
Collected my visa, still no queue. Found another mini bus to take us to Hoi an 13000Baht including tip
So 4am the next day loaded up and off we set.
Through immigration OK. Then Vietnamese  customs , they started to unload and put our belonging through X ray after 2-3 boxes we came to an arrangement.
Re the dogs, they saw the dogs in the van but no check no look at certificates etc.
They weren't bothered
Now we in Vietnam on our way to Hoi an
5kms down the road another passport check. All OK
I was very surprised at the Vietnamese terrain very hilly lush green and plenty of rivers
I do not know if it was a special day but on our journey we saw 10 plus Wedding Tents ( red & white drapes)
The driver was very good but once in Vietnam his driving changed Beep Beep went his horn when every he saw another vehicle or motorbike
We arrived at our House which we had only seen via the internet.Its lovely.fully furnished hot water TV and internet
The following day we signed the lease and registered at the local Police station
We have now 95% unpacked and going to explore Hoi an
So in conclusion if anybody is thinking about moving to Vietnam.Overland isn't a problem.
If anybody needs help or advise please contact me
Thank you for reading this can you find it useful
Roy & Nau

Congratulations ! Let's hope the local police and the Immigration Police in Hoi An don't give you and Nau any problems. Have a long and happy stay in Hoi An.

Many thanks
Have registered with the Police
They do like their forms
Roy & Nau

Yo !  You made it ! Well done, great spirit,  i say if you want to do something just do it,  good blog adventure,  was almost with you,  i hope you have a great stay in Hoi an , iVe been twice, 5 days and 15 both times i didn,t want to leave,  and a house full of furniture plus wi fi wow , i guess your smiling, oh happy new year  : )      Ralph of Nhartang , ???? What are you on, !! welcome to Vietnam i hope the police or authorities dont get you  !!!!!!!   Well i only have one thing to say to that,    THERE BEHIND  YOU !!!   WOOOO !!!!    : )  : )   Happy new year to you too

Many thanks for your kind wishes
I do not understand
I have a 3 months visa which I understand can be extended back to back
I have registered with the police
So whats the problem???
Roy

Congratulations and thanks for the trip report!

Well done...