Houseshare & making new friends in Marrakech Jan 2011

Hi, I'm 34 year old female considering moving to Marrakech as I have a Moroccan boyfriend. I'm really keen to establish my own friendship circle in Marrakech. I would love to hear from other English speakers and I'm looking for a houseshare in Marrakech late Dec/Jan. Any advice about moving to Morocco would be great too! Look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to Expat.com, GMH12 :)

First of all, I'll move your topic to the forum of Marrakech to give it a better visibility and I recommend you visit Marrakech Classifieds -> House share ads where several ads have been published.

Good luck and a nice day further
Arlette

Hi,

I've just read your message and looks like you must be on your way! A friend of mine has just returned to the U.K. from Marrakech after 8 years working and living here, married a local chap, had a lovely boy and then all went pear-shaped.....so just be careful, that's all. It's a big cultural divide here, and you need to have a strong character, otherwise you'll get worn down - god I sound like a real whinger! Anyway, I live in Marrakech and know one or two people. I run a guesthouse called Les Trois Mages (lestroismages.com) but am considering returning to the U.K. to train as a teacher so there maybe a job going here, if you are looking for one! I have a house in sunny Eye, not a million miles away from Bury - ooh I could die for a pint of IPA! Best wishes and the best of luck!

Aidan

Hi Aidan, Thanks for your message. I'm back in Bury having just spent a week with my boyfirend in Marrakech. The cultural difference is huge it has to be said and at times not at all easy but I'm willing to give it a try. But really appreciate your advice! I have heard other horror stories!! I may well be interested if there is a job going at the guest house, if you wouldn't mind letting me know more at it. Can't believe you are from Eye, its very Christmasy here at the moment. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers, Georgina

Hi Georgina,

Glad you got back ok and thanks for your reply. Glad I haven't put you off, it is an amazing place to live and work. Must be so beautiful there now, just had a night of rain and gales here so a tad turbulent and not the best weather for guests. Best be off, but will get in touch when I have a minute.

Best wishes.

Aidan