Traffic tickets

i read that visitors and gringos get stop and ticketed with expensive fines on a regular basis for nothing ! As I was looking to retire in Costa Rica, this is really scary to me. The amount for traffic ticket s are ridiculous! It's making me reconsider my decision. I wanted to move from Canada to have more freedom, it doesn't look like its the case. 😢. Is bribing officers still common, I can't see paying a few fines without breaking the bank, and ruining your stay.

We started coming in 2010 as vacationers and have never been pulled over.
We have been here permanently for 15 months and have never been pulled over.

TerrynVuv are right, if you "don't do the crime" you do not have to pay the fine. Cops just do not pick you out of crowd to fine you.

In the 10 years I have been here I got my first traffic ticket about 8 month ago because of the Riteve sticker (car revision) wasn't updated. I was on my way to the revision appointment after finally getting a spare part my car needed before the revision (but the date for the revision  has passed) and the cop gave me the ticket. I contested the fine and I heard that if after 6 months they have not responded, the fine is forgiven, I am not sure but that is what a couple of lawyers said to me. It has been 8 months, now I have to request a "forgiveness' or whatever is called to drop the fine once and for all.

A lot  depends on where you live.

There is a lot of red tape and bureaucracy here, so don't expect freedom from it... especially banks that will request all sorts of information from you...and require updates

My wife and I visited CR many times between 2010 and 2013 and have lived in CR since May 2013 .  Although we are occasionally stopped to have our documents checked, we have never received a ticket or been asked to pay a bribe. I'm sure it happens some, but it does not appear to be commonplace.

Let let me know what happens, good luck !

I'm surprised that many have not been pulled over.  I've been here six years and have been pulled over at least twenty times - literally.  At the same time I've only received one ticket but it was a joke.

Shortly after moving here I was meeting someone at the airport to buy a GPS from them.  I was at the arrival area of the airport, pulled over to the curb and talking on the phone to the person I was meeting to find out where he was.  A cop waived me forward so I of course pulled up.  He told me it was illegal to "drive" and talk on the phone at the same time.  I wasn't "driving" until he waived me forward. He then asked for my passport and I gave him a copy of it.  He then gave me a ticket for $450 for not having my original passport and $470 for talking on my cell while driving.  There is no legal requirement to carry your "original" passport as long as the copy shows the main page and your visa stamp showing you're here legally.

Little did I know that I only had 10 days to appeal the ticket, "in the area that I was ticketed."  On the 11th day after I had figured it all out, I was told that it would have been overturned.  Live and learn.

The police here do not drive behind you and pull you over as they do in North America.  They stand on the side of the road and waive you over.  (I have never seen them out if it's raining.)  There are different types of police that can/will pull you over.  Transito police will pull you over to see your driver's license/passport/Cedula and want to make sure that you have all the crap that's required that you carry.  (Fire extinguisher, reflective road triangles, reflective vest, jumper cables.) 

Next it will be the Fuerza Publica that will pull you over.  They are looking for contraband, illegal animals, etc.  They also will want to see your driver's license and passport/cedula.

Other than the airport asshole, my experience is that the police here are extremely nice and very polite.  Much, much nicer and more civil than in the States.

It is common practice to bribe the police here.  If you don't speak Spanish, do not attempt it.  You can tell who is bribable and who is not.  They only make between $500 and $1,000 per month, so a bribe is something they're usually happy to see.  This is the practice out in the country where I live.  I don't know if it would be advisable in the larger cities.

- Expat Dave

I've driven through many roadside checks but all they have done is slow me down and ascertain that my (now three) stickers are current.  The only time I have had to actually stop was enroute to Las Tabillas and the only reason they stopped us was to ask us if our paperwork was in order to bring our car into Nicaragua.  We explained that we were "hoofing it" and off we went.

I have been stopped twice at the same spot, and same police at both times. One time they tried to intimidate me, until a Tico friend who was in the back seat, got out of the car...then they waved me on.

You have to be careful as some 'police' are not the real police.

How do you know there not real ?

Julie et bri wrote:

How do you know there not real ?

I have never seen the police stop anyone without their official car(s) right next to them.  No car - no stop.

- Expat Dave

P.S.  I think one of the reason I've been stopped so many times is that my daughter is usually with me.  She has long blonde hair and is very cute.   We are both blondes amongst a sea of brunettes.   I guess I should just leave her home and "I" would probably never be stopped.

You saying that you are not cute Dave?   :unsure

Lol, maybe, how old is she ?
I also read everywhere that people get fined for untrue reasons specially tourists and gringos and there's nothing they can do about it. It sounds like the cops do what they want and get away with it.
Ty

I m guessing that what ever happens in Costa Rica wont affect your drivers licence in your residence country?

Julie et bri wrote:

I m guessing that what ever happens in Costa Rica wont affect your drivers licence in your residence country?

No, doesn't affect it at all.

Julie et bri wrote:

Lol, maybe, how old is she ?
I also read everywhere that people get fined for untrue reasons specially tourists and gringos and there's nothing they can do about it. It sounds like the cops do what they want and get away with it.
Ty

She's 24 and it's a very macho, rude society on the part of males.  They whistle and make rude comments all the time.  Now that she speaks Spanish, she does not put up with it and will speak up quite vocally when they get gross.  Unfortunately, most Ticas just put up with it.

I have not heard of people being fined for unreasonable reasons.  Mine was the only experience I've heard of.  You have ten days to formally appeal your ticket.  The person I spoke with that addresses this told me that they are usually overturned with a good excuse/reason.

I would not say the cops get away with anymore than North American cops.  It's hard to explain.  You just have to get used to the way society is here and how you have to or need to deal with it.

As the other poster wrote, if no obvious police vehicle...don't stop. These are more likely to intimidate and let you know they would be willing to 'forget' your 'offense' for a donation ...

In the recent past there have been some robberies at  hotels and private residences, where the 'intruders' have gotten onto the property by dressing as police officers.

Ji
I have lived in CR 24  years and NEVER been stopped for a BRIBE  by the polite Police. That  rumour is sheer nonsense !  YES I have been stopped for routine checks THREE times  in 25 years ,and when my drivers licence ,Insurance  "machamo " papers were checked and  found
in order" I  have been waved on with a smile and a  "Feliz Dia"   )have a nice  day. ) ..and  gone on with my trip.IF the occassional
Ugly American" tries to Bribe , or is speeding or FRUNK or smoking weed THINKING
Amything Goes  in Costa Rica" the HE or She is in for a rus=de awaling...and punished accordingly THANK GOD!
I am astounded that such BOGUS rumoius still circulate ...Usually from what we ":long time residents call "The 3 Weekers "   the KNOW IT ALL Tourists" who spend a 3 week vacation in Costa Rica and then profess to KNOW all there is to "KNOW" and I see their assanine remmarks posted online. It never ceases to amaze me their despeartion to be "BIG SHOTS,,,ASK those of us who have LIVED here many years, and ignore those seeking Internet "Fame "

Haha I find your post amusing since There are  now THOUSANDS of Ticas dying thier hair BLONDE,,But  they avoidi making  "Googly eyes : at cops  (red blooded MALES) which I see MANY blong tourists doing THINKING they are such a nivelelty... NOT  SO my dear ..We REDHEADS attract more attention BUT get no more ithan a respectful wave or wink if ever eye contact is made by the polite police here;
After 25 years I still get a second look, BUT do not take  myself so seriouslyu
Yes leave  your daughter  at home  or dye her hair Back? to brown if she is not basking in the attention...Or s she wearing sexy low cut t shirts   (now THAT is an attention getter ) 
She may find that the  "sea of pretty Brunettes "  has now changeg to the far  more common   Sea os Blondes  "  .thanks to Lady Clairol   ( commonly used by BOTH  Ticas  and  Gringettes." :)  .LOL

I got FAR more wolf whistles in USA and Eurpoe than here ,,,Despite my younger  years  ,,,,

DAVE you are giving the nice Polic here a bad rap..I do not know where you live but If I am remembering you from other sites,  I do not think you have LIVED here for long Are you not also living in Chicago? After 25 years I living FULL TIME here ,  know HUNDREDS of ex pats and NONE of us have had the need to BRIBE a cop UNLESS driving drunk or speeding MAYBE...but Bribes are NOT the norm in Costa Rica ,,Take it from those who have LIVED her forr MANY years I for 25 years NO BRIBES,,,

At your age, of course they don't bother "you."

Never been to Chicago in my life, I don't write on any other sites but here.  Simply stated facts.  I've lived here six years.

pebs wrote:

Ji
I have lived in CR 24  years and NEVER been stopped for a BRIBE  by the polite Police. That  rumour is sheer nonsense !  YES I have been stopped for routine checks THREE times  in 25 years ,and when my drivers licence ,Insurance  "machamo " papers were checked and  found
in order" I  have been waved on with a smile and a  "Feliz Dia"   )have a nice  day. ) ..and  gone on with my trip. "Fame "

I NEVER said that I needed to bribe the police.  I said that if you attempt it you had better speak fluent Spanish.  I also said that my experience with the police, other than the one experience at the airport, was pleasant and that they were nice and polite.

There are traffic stops often in the San Ramon area.  I can't help it that I've been pulled over many times in just six years.  I also had the same experience as what you state, Waived over, checked my papers and let me go.  Again, as I stated.

Learn to read before personally attacking someone.

- Expat Dave

pebs wrote:

DAVE you are giving the nice Polic here a bad rap..I do not know where you live but If I am remembering you from other sites,  I do not think you have LIVED here for long Are you not also living in Chicago? After 25 years I living FULL TIME here ,  know HUNDREDS of ex pats and NONE of us have had the need to BRIBE a cop UNLESS driving drunk or speeding MAYBE...but Bribes are NOT the norm in Costa Rica ,,Take it from those who have LIVED her forr MANY years I for 25 years NO BRIBES,,,

READ what I stated!!  I said the police are nice and friendly.  That they are nicer and friendlier than that of the States.  NEVER - I have never written on any sites except here. 

I have NEVER met an expat who needed to bribe someone either; however, I was with friends, Ticos, twice who were stopped and did bribe the police.  One had his Riteve expired and the other didn't have a plate on his motorcycle at all.  NO, not drugs dealers - one's a farmer and the other a contractor.  For Tico's, "they" have stated that it's a common practice.  You also read about the police being caught and losing their jobs for it on a regular basis.

Once again, please learn to read before personally attacking me.

- Expat Dave

Sorry I have lived here TWENTY FIVE years YOURs are OPINIONS,,, Obviously NOT FACTS
Where have you bribed cops  " Area???? THEY frown on that PROFUSELY...were you sober and within the speed limit???? otherwise no reason AL ALL to BROIBE or TRY to...FACT !

pebs wrote:

Haha I find your post amusing since There are  now THOUSANDS of Ticas dying thier hair BLONDE,,But  they avoidi making  "Googly eyes : at cops  (red blooded MALES) which I see MANY blong tourists doing THINKING they are such a nivelelty... NOT  SO my dear ..We REDHEADS attract more attention BUT get no more ithan a respectful wave or wink if ever eye contact is made by the polite police here;
After 25 years I still get a second look, BUT do not take  myself so seriouslyu
Yes leave  your daughter  at home  or dye her hair Back? to brown if she is not basking in the attention...Or s she wearing sexy low cut t shirts   (now THAT is an attention getter ) 
She may find that the  "sea of pretty Brunettes "  has now changeg to the far  more common   Sea os Blondes  "  .thanks to Lady Clairol   ( commonly used by BOTH  Ticas  and  Gringettes." :)  .LOL

I got FAR more wolf whistles in USA and Eurpoe than here ,,,Despite my younger  years  ,,,,

Happy to give you my personal address and you can walk down the street with us and hear/see how blonde Gringas are treated. 

I suggest very, very strongly how you state your words about my daughter.  She's a nice person that does not do anything that you suggest.  Stop personally attacking someone you know nothing about.  I state facts.  I did not state an opinion on this subject. 

Women should not have to dye their hair to avoid harassment.  We don't live in the 1950's.  They have the right to simply walk down the street without sexual harassment!

If you want to personally attack me, have the balls to do it to my face and not hide behind your writing.

pebs wrote:

Sorry I have lived here TWENTY FIVE years YOURs are OPINIONS,,, Obviously NOT FACTS
Where have you bribed cops  " Area???? THEY frown on that PROFUSELY...were you sober and within the speed limit???? otherwise no reason AL ALL to BROIBE or TRY to...FACT !

Please show me where I wrote that I bribed the police!  Please, please learn to read.  I did not state that.  I stated pretty much the opposite.  I don't drink and I don't do drugs and usually drive slower than the speed limit.   Please stop personally attacking me because of whatever issue you might have.

- Expat Dave

When I made the reference to my daughter and maybe I should leave her home, it was meant to be humorous.  Not to be taken to a personal level.

Personal attacks are unnecessary here lady.

- Expat Dave

Funny I READ very well as na editor..Here is your additional quote VERBATUM

It is common practice to bribe the police here.  If you don't speak Spanish, do not attempt it.  You can tell who is bribable and who is not.  They only make between $500 and $1,000 per month, so a bribe is something they're usually happy to see.  This is the practice out in the country where I live.  I don't know if it would be advisable in the larger cities.

I beg to DIFFER it is NOT common practice to BRIBE the police here(  no matter their salary,,,YOUR words  in statement ABOVE ....  YOU are the one who should LEARN TO READ  BEFORE you WRITE RUBBISH

pebs wrote:

Funny I READ very well as na editor..Here is your additional quote VERBATUM

I beg to DIFFER it is NOT common practice to BRIBE the police here(  no matter their salary,,,YOUR words  in statement ABOVE ....  YOU are the one who should LEARN TO READ  BEFORE you WRITE RUBBISH

For Tico's, it IS common practice.  AND, as I stated, if you don't speak Spanish, don't attempt it.  I DID NOT say that I bribed anyone.

David Dean
xxx
San Ramon, Alajuela

Have the xxx to contact me old lady!  Again, I stated facts.  I'll be happy to take you for a walk with my daughter and you can learn to see the facts outside your little Gringa world.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

No one said YOU bribed (God   forbid)  but you DID say that  "it was common practice to BRIBE the police here  : WRONG I have many police ifriends who would be very insulted by yoyr false comment which you should retract. I have .NO Issues except for
"Know it alls" slandering nice police force .and making newcomers feel that it is the NORM,,,NOT...

Again, I have been with Ticos twice when I watch them pay the Transito police.  I have also had friends, Tico's, tell me that it is common practice.  This is in the San Ramon/Palmares area.  Why do you argue about something that I am stating as fact and experience?

-Expat Dave

As previously stated, a lot depends on where you live...and for anyone who reads the papers, chorizo is not uncommon.
Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.

This OLD Lady  attractive Red head :)  stop YOUR  attacks on thos attractive older lady :)
  (THAT is an attack LOL  I am iwilling to walk anywhere with your daughter rto see who gets the  awful wolf whistles poor gal must endure ... I feel bad for the poor polite Police who may read this awful slander ,,,Yes some do have intelligence and speak English'

kohlerias wrote:

As previously stated, a lot depends on where you live...and for anyone who reads the papers, chorizo is not uncommon.
Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.

That is oh so true of living here.  Living in Escazu/Heridia/San Jose areas are like different worlds from other parts of the country.  The people are different and the lives they lead are different.  Even the laws are treated differently.  Something I would say is unique about Costa Rica.  Kind of like the weather.  It can be 70 and cloudy in San Ramon and you drive just 12 km. to Palmares and it will be 85 and sunny.  ...for some reason it's always sunny in Palmares.

- Expat Dave

pebs wrote:

This OLD Lady  attractive Red head :)  stop YOUR  attacks on thos attractive older lady :)
  (THAT is an attack LOL  I am iwilling to walk anywhere with your daughter rto see who gets the  awful wolf whistles poor gal must endure ... I feel bad for the poor polite Police who may read this awful slander ,,,Yes some do have intelligence and speak English'

I surrender.  I give up.  You are someone who only sees one side of things and the only opinion that matters is your own.  You win.  Have a nice life with your half empty glass.

- Expat Dave

Go to Ticotimes.net.  Enter in search:  "police arrested for bribes."  There are a number of articles related to the subject.  Made up facts?  Sorry, they "allegedly" took bribes. 

- Expat Dave

Ladies Do NOT have xxx have you noticed ?LOL and as for my age ?? I will match  looks with your femaies anyday,,LOL Never judge UNTIL you Have SEEN Beauy ....which lies not just in the hair :)

SEE they  get ARRESTED because it is illegal Ill post my photo of you post YOURS LOL see who is "Old eh?

Please let us know where the 'don't like' button is... :o... as this subject has turned into utter garbage