Moving Soon / Must take to PR list?

We are starting to pack for our move to PR.  This will be the first of several trips back and forth over the next few years.   The airline allows  two checked bags (50lbs each) plus a carry on. 

We are starting to pack for the first trip and will be able to take a total of 300 lbs checked baggage.   What is on your list of items to pack on the first few trips?

So far my list is clothes for a few months, some minor household items, hand & power tools, & fishing tackle. 

What are the items you recommend we bring with us?  Things that you may not find in PR? food or other things that cost more in PR?

Are there any items that we should not bring, as they may be cheaper in PR or problematic to bring?

In the future we will ship a car and maybe a container of stuff, but for now we are just moving into the new (to us) house.

I wish I had brought more of my favorite kitchen stuff - you can find it all here but it gets expensive! there were some special seasoned salts that I liked and brought those. otherwise just the things you think you will need. We came with 2 suitcases each and then shipped about 10 boxes of kitchen stuff, instruments/music, clothing, bedding, etc.  Welcome to PR!!!

How did you ship your boxes?  Did that work out ok?

We moved to PR 3 months ago.  We shipped plastic totes through the US Postal Service by regular mail  (there are already many posts suggesting this is the best way to send to the island), and it worked out fine for us. If I were to pack again for the move, I would pack less clothes.  I haven't wore half of what I brought, especially long sleeve shirts and pants, and I just found two expensive pairs of shoes that have been in a tote, awaiting our final move, that are moldy and mildewy from the humidity.

My favorite items I shipped are our cast iron pots.

We are on the same process, we are shipping mainly the stuff we cannot or would not want to replace. If you need to purchase stuff, use amazon prime. As most people had express, us mail service for most stuff works fine. Also, you may want to pay for extra suitcases instead of shipping them. $25-35 per extra suitcase is a lot cheaper than mail. We paid up to $70/box via mail from Texas.

I wish I had brought my favorite pair of hiking boots.  I thought they would be unnecessary here in PR, but I could have used them and I have a hard time finding a pair that fits.  Other than those, and personal memorabilia, I could replace mostly everything.

Shipping totes through usps is cheapest. We shipped boxes and they were in terrible condition.

Are not totes more expensive than boxes?

Totes will make it in better conditions than boxes.

Plus you can use the totes for storage afterward ;)

Any Recommendations on securing the lid of totes?
I was thinking of drilling a few holes on lid and tote edge and securing with zip ties, then covering with tape in case it needs to be sealed for transport?
Labels directly on the tote lid and at least one of the sides?
Number each tote, no content info on the tote for security purpose, then separetly on iphone make note entry of box number, what it has and when it was shipped?
Maybe add low cost insurance, mostly for a tracking number?
Rey

I too missed my Cast Iron! Luckily, I found some on clearance, in Guayama, several years ago... $7/pan!

The plastic totes are more expensive on the front end, but they hold up a ton better than cardboard boxes.  We used Gorilla tape instead of duct tape because it was a lot stronger, and we wrapped it all the way around the tote from both directions plus the address labels.  We didn't get insurance for our totes but they had tracking numbers assigned on the receipt.  The totes cost between  $45 and $90 to fill and ship and all arrived.  We lost some glass in the transport though, I swear they threw those boxes all the way here because some were cracked but not open.  We have found use for all the totes since we've been here also.  They make great tool boxes, laundry bins, etc.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!   We have a favorite cast iron too!  The totes are a good idea - we'll buy a few more.

How long did it take for the totes to arrive and what type of usps shipping did you used?

We shipped our coffee pot and burr grinder.  Although I probably could have replaced both, they are of high quality, and at Sears here, the coffee pot costs twice what I paid at Costco in the States...worth it to me to pack it :).  The Vitamix and cast iron made the trip as well.  The way I look at it, if it makes your life easier and you can use it from day one, it's worth not having to try to track down a replacement.

Of all the boxes and totes we shipped (about 20 total), only one item was damaged but still usable (a ceramic salsa bowl).  Just wrap everything well, don't leave any space for your items to move around, and they will probably arrive in good condition. 

I closed our plastic totes with duct tape and they stayed closed just fine.

The boxes we shipped priority arrived in less than week.  The standard post boxes took about two weeks to arrive.

Great info. CurlyGirl  :top:

Can you supply a picture of these plastic totes you are talking about?  Where do you get them and what do they cost?

Hey Sitka,
Why the multiple trips?
You keeping the old house and living in both places for now?

Hey Bonu, I think these are the ones they refer to, sold at walmart, many different kinds http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Tote

You can purchase cast iron pans here in Puerto Rico. Mine are from either KMart or Walmart.

We're still unpacking & getting moved into our place.   Lots of work to do fixing up the house!

Been too busy busting my tail here that I haven't been on line till now.  Looks like we'll be here for some months now.   

Surf is looking good!

Congratulations! This sounds very exciting!!

Welcome again . Remember take sometimew to enjoy.