Driving a 50 cc "motorcycle" in Brazil

Hey All,

I hope someone can help me out with this one.  I tried to get answers from neighbors, policeman, and DETRAN, but I get different answers everywhere.

Right now, I am driving a car, but I really do not need it as I am only driving short distances.  Therefore, I am planning to sell my car, and get a "cinquentinha".  Just to get around.

The problem is the law with regards to the 50cc "motors".  Do I need a driver's licence or not?  Do I need to have a licence plate or not,  So far, the answers to this are no/no, yes/no, no/yes, and yes/yes...  Pretty confusing.  Could it be that the law is regulated by individual state???

Any help is more than welcome!

Regards,
Peter

A decision of the 5th Federal Court in Pernambuco on Oct. 15, 2015 suspended the requirement for a Carteira Nacional de Habilitação for operators of 50cc motorbikes, commonly known as "cinquentinhas". The, preliminary, decision has effect in all national territory. However, the decision can be appealed. As far as I have heard that has not yet happened.

Regarding licensing of the motorbike itself, I really don't know if they require license plates or not. That is something that you'd need to check with DETRAN in your state.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thats cleared that one up then , LOL , i neither could get a straight answer from anyone so i sold mine !

Hi James, Rick,

I have read that too; if I understand correctly, in June 2015, they have changed the law for cinquentinhas to have a licence-plate as well.  That makes sense, but along with that came the (unintended?) necessity to have a valid driver's licence. 

If I understood correctly, a group of manufacturers appealed to have the need for a licence revoked, and that happened.  But as you wrote, it still is preliminary and may be overturned at any time.  I wonder if there is a maximum time for that to happen...

Here in ES I see a lot of cinquentinhas driving without a licence-plate, and their owners insist they do not need a licence.

It probably is best to get my driver's licence anyway, but I just hate to spend R$ 1000+ on the 20 obligated lessons on a secluded area to be instructed in things I already know / master.

The thing that really bugs me is that no one seems to know what the law is, and I do not care much for being stopped in a blitz.  Trying to talk my way out of a fine, or have my cinquentinha confiscated is not really what I am up for..

Thanks,
Peter