No reply to job / ad applications...a lack of common courtesy.

Hi
As an ex pat living and working in HCMC, and being a regular and appreciative user of this site, I must say that in recent months I have been disappointed to see that some advertisers make no effort to reply to a contact.

That's to say NOTHING.
Not even a polite, " sorry the position has been filled ". Or a " forget it man,  you're too old " would be better than a total lack of response.
It's simply a lack of common courtesy.
A single phrase or text message takes less than a minute to do.

Just to finish a little axe grinding, I would suggest that the site introduces a policy of having to renew all classifieds after two months online, or delete them. This would move the ad back up in the listings chart ; and what is the point of leaving so many classifieds on the site " posted 4/6/9 months ago ?

Best to all....

Hi Jon,

Don't worry mate, your not grinding an axe, your just calling it as it is.

Common courtesy and decency is in short supply in this neck of the woods.  You only have to look at the pushing and shoving at the post offices and banks to see that.

I like the idea with the Adds .    Good luck

This is typical everywhere not just here. It's sorta like don't call us we'll call you kinda thing.

I could not agree more . Some people ask you to send your CV etc , then completely ignore follow up emails , msgs or say "sorry I'm too busy "
What I find particularly frustrating is that the Viets quite simply cannot even comprehend what you ask or say
I recently posted an ad and also contacted quite a few would be employers , stating in bold letters that I can only work Mon-Fri 7.30am-4.30 pm . All I got was people asking me if I can work evenings or weekends
I even had one fool at T.E.A.C.H tell me he had many jobs in many districts , so I went for an interview and the next day he told me he only had the occasional temp work or a job in 6 weeks
I gave him a mouthful for completely wasting my time . But he is not the only one

It just gets better
Today I had an email from an employer, asking me to send them my email address ??????
I don't know what these people are on , but it is obviously mind altering

Another one , after asking them 6 times in a flurry of emails , if they had work available during the day , was simply not capable of saying yes or no . They kept saying my voice was important ? I still have absolutely no idea what they were talking about !! So I gave up

Then you should apply in the right place to get a prompt reply whether it is an acceptance or rejection  :)
Yeah, there are many agencies like this one will consider your value!

Charmavietnam , if the jobs on expat are not the right place , then please tell me what the right place is ? It does not matter where a job is advertised , you still have to deal with the same idiots , most of the time !!

charmavietnam wrote:

Then you should apply in the right place to get a prompt reply whether it is an acceptance or rejection  :)
Yeah, there are many agencies like this one will consider your value!

Yeah thanks charma
  ... but after clicking on your rather inappropriate link I've decided not to become a policeman or anything else for that matter in the Singapore administration.

Jon, unfortunately you cannot expect Vietnam to operate like a western society does.   In a lot of ways we're just guests. Would you like it if someone came into your home and start telling you how to arrange your decor and condition how you live? There are many aspects of Vietnam that needs improvement, unfortunately it takes time for them to change.

cossmo wrote:

Jon, unfortunately you cannot expect Vietnam to operate like a western society does.   In a lot of ways we're just guests. Would you like it if someone came into your home and start telling you how to arrange your decor and condition how you live? There are many aspects of Vietnam that needs improvement, unfortunately it takes time for them to change.

I couldn't agree more.
I wasn't showing any disrespect  or making an expat judgement on business ethics East and West.
However,if a potential employer or advertiser posts an ad, and can't be bothered to reply to responses, then he is conducting poor business ethics no matter how you look at it and no matter which country in the world you may be.

cossmo wrote:

Unfortunately its very common here not to get a reply. Its not about telling them what to do, but more about having the decency to reply.

I agree entirely with John Allsop , it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever , which country it's in . It's called common courtesy, and our Viet friends lack even the most basic amount of it .

Happy8888 wrote:

I agree entirely with John Allsop , it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever , which country it's in . It's called common courtesy, and our Viet friends lack even the most basic amount of it .

I didn't mean to point the finger at the Vietnamese  at all. I like them a lot and they are generally cool and polite.I was complaining about the advertisers, be they Vietnamese or other.

colinoscapee wrote:

Unfortunately its very common here not to get a reply. Its not about telling them what to do, but more about having the decency to reply.

In reality if you want a response, you just need to flash the cash. My point was that you learn from your experiences and move on. Adapt and change your way of thinking.

Hey Cosmo , please do tell how you "flash the cash " when applying for a job on the internet . Do you suggest a footnote "Willing to be corrupt and pay for a job " ??

Happy8888 wrote:

Hey Cosmo , please do tell how you "flash the cash " when applying for a job on the internet . Do you suggest a footnote "Willing to be corrupt and pay for a job " ??

look up where the recruiter is. go to the premises, wave a couple of 500k notes at them. say hey, lets go have lunch.

nah you have to do it more cunningly than that. if you are aware that 'decency' does not exist, a footnote and formalities will not work.

Gee , why didn't I think of that ?

cossmo wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

In reality if you want a response, you just need to flash the cash. My point was that you learn from your experiences and move on. Adapt and change your way of thinking.

With attitudes like this, Viet Nam will never be able to combat corruption. How many jobs have you applied for in Viet Nam.

I personally also agree that sending any kind of answer would be the (only) appropriate way to conduct business.

However it is not. I've seen this from both ends, job seeker/employer.

We would often would add a note at the bottom saying "only shortlisted candidates will be contacted".

I know this can be seen as an excuse. But in reality, we could put up a job posting and receive 200 applications in 1 week. Out of those 50% or more did not match more than 1% of what was required.

When you then end up with 20 or 30 potential suitable candidates, the focus is solely on those.

Colin. I'm pretty sure most expat did not come to Vietnam to fight corruption. Nor is it an expat's responsibility.

It seems like you keep missing my point. That is, if you want service you need to pay for it. If no money is involved, business couldn't careless about you. Money talks in this unregulated society.

We'll Cossmo , I got 2 jobs without paying , so I think what you are saying is unecessary

Happy8888 wrote:

We'll Cossmo , I got 2 jobs without paying , so I think what you are saying is unecessary

no where in my previous comments did I say you need to pay to get a job. I said one way of getting a response was to use money. I did not say anything about paying to get a job. one example, such as your case, doesn't make it true.

let me break your logic a little bit and give you some food for thought. did you know that with some industries in vietnam, to get an internship, the employee needs TO PAY THE COMPANY of up to 2 years worth of salary just to work for them? go figure.

Yes I knew that , police , airline , government etc . Maybe this country would start to progess a little if people were hired based on their merits

progress to what? I'll use some recent reference familiar to you and I. Barry O'farrell, Seven Eleven, Bronwyn Bishop, Pizza Hut, etc. corruption is everywhere even with regulation, policies, etc. top to bottom, it's just a false sense of security. in Vietnam it is in your face about it, whereby in Australia it is all hidden away in the closet till you have a whistleblower or someone gets caught. the scams in a regulated environment are just more sophisticated. it's all the same outcome, that is, someone profits.

cossmo wrote:

progress to what? I'll use some recent reference familiar to you and I. Barry O'farrell, Seven Eleven, Bronwyn Bishop, Pizza Hut, etc. corruption is everywhere even with regulation, policies, etc. top to bottom, it's just a false sense of security. in Vietnam it is in your face about it, whereby in Australia it is all hidden away in the closet till you have a whistleblower or someone gets caught. the scams in a regulated environment are just more sophisticated. it's all the same outcome, that is, someone profits.

I get a feeling you have spent very little time here and your only experience is what you have read on the internet. As far as corruption goes according to The International Corruption Index, Australia is around 12th and Viet Nam is 129th, so yeah, I can see the similarities there.

Colin, nobody said anything about corruption ranking except you. in fact, you were the first person to steer the conversation away from the OP and discussed corruption.

yeah dude, I don't know anything and have only been reading the internet post. actually I don't even live in Vietnam. you know it all because of the number of post you have made. *thumbs up* great logic.

Well your profile says Sydney, last time I checked that was in Australia,DUDE.

I mentioned it creating more corruption, but you made a whole reply of five lines relating to it DUDE., so youre the one who made a big issue out of it.Head over to a forum where you actually have something to add, not something you have read online without any experience living here.

I purportedly live somewhere else, but defend the Viets. yet you live there and bag out the Viets as they're don't stack up to your standards. oh the irony.

Cossmo , your posts are not informative nor beneficial to members of this forum . Maybe you could share what personal experiences/frustrations you have had applying for jobs here !

There you go, your smart mouth finally admits after trying to make out you live here, that you dont. Credibilty,zero.

Cossomo was on here a few months ago doing the same thing, finds something to stir the pot then starts ranting. The guy has zip to do with Viet Nam and knows squat except what he reads online.

colinoscapee wrote:

There you go, your smart mouth finally admits after trying to make out you live here, that you dont. Credibilty,zero.

says you, who knows nothing about me.

colinoscapee wrote:

Cossomo was on here a few months ago doing the same thing, finds something to stir the pot then starts ranting. The guy has zip to do with Viet Nam and knows squat except what he reads online.

ah, so you instigate a conversation with me. digress from the topic. start making person attacks. then accuse me of pot stirring? your logic is baffling. I haven't seen anything like it. I think your forum experiences deserve more than VIP status.

Go back and read, I stated throwing money around for jobs does nothing for corruption. Then you start on about corruption in Australia whish is totally irrelevant. Maybe a few years here will put things into perspective for you. Over and out.

Cossmo , I'm still waiting to hear about your personal experiences /frustrations with applying for jobs here , which qualify you to comment on this thread

Happy8888 wrote:

Cossmo , I'm still waiting to hear about your personal experiences /frustrations with applying for jobs here , which qualify you to comment on this thread

who are you? my authority? would you like my address and bank account details too? you just need to ask colin for that as he seems to know everything about me. I don't need to prove anything to you, this is not a credit card application.

my advice on the earlier post is plentiful. you accept it or don't, nobody is ramming it down your throat. I am not your mother. if you think you can just go and change the system, good luck to you.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to share with the members of this forum , how you are qualified to comment on these things , touchy aren't you . Steady steady boy , no need to get all defensive
I've lived here 5 years , which is probably 4 years and 358 days longer than you have spent in this country
If you think that your comments are beneficial then share your experience which has qualified you to offer advice to members
If you have no personal experience , your comments are irrelevant

ok now I get it. I didn't realise you need to be qualified and certified to make comments on this forum. 4 years huh? what an amazing achievement.

I never said 4 years . But if it was , it certainly would be a lot more amazing than your experience here . I offer no advice nor do I comment on things I do not know about
Maybe you should do the same
PS: this is my first exchange with you on this forum . However in the last 2 hours , I've had 4 separate personal messages about you , quite a reputation you have there boy , and your such a fledgling
Tam Biet
PS:thanks for sharing your personal experiences here in Vietnam

With the amount of us ex pats looking for work and the amount of work out there available you'd think it's easy. But with the no reply situation and my lack of Vietnamese and sometimes their lack of english unfortunately doesnt make a happy blend. I persevere i want to make Vietnam my home and i want to give something to this country that I want to call my home. Be it English lessons or whatever.