Working in France

Hi. I am Andy, I'm from England and I am new to this website. I am looking to relocate to Paris in January as my partner will be working there. I would like to know how easy it is to get a job in Paris or around paris (any type of jobs) knowing that I don't speak French at all! If anyone had that experience, how was it to relocate to Paris? to find a job? to adapt...

Hi - give us a clue - tell us a little more about yourself age, - qualifications, skills, hobbies etc.

There are enough expats + groups to help you settle, but for a while you might end up being house-husband/partner.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
I am 34, I have been a warehouse operative for 15 years but I don't mind put my hands to anything. I am worried that because I don't speak French it will be complicated to find a job.
Apart from that, I often go to the cinema, I like good food, going out for a drink, this kind of stuffs.
How long have you been in France for? Do you work there? How do you like it?

Hi - Montauban is a small town -55,000 people but growing as more people move from the north of France for better weather and reasonable job prospects with Airbus + associated industries in Toulouse.

We have been here 30 months and love it - we are older - I took early retirement - my pension is just enough to live on - the idea was that we would live on our savings as necessary - but such is the demand for English teaching that we are earning enough to leave our savings intact. Retirement didn't last long - but at the momemt I'm only teaching 3 hours a week, but my wife is a lot busier. It's also a great way to make friends among the French. This year we must stay up for soup at 5am on Jan 1 - we are considered wimps because we left the New Year's Eve party at 3am last time.

We love France and the French people - Montauban is a "down to earth" town - think Wigan or Preston or Darlington- and there are not many expats, though there are plenty in the neighbouring villages and smaller towns.

Paris for you is a different kettle of fish - I think for work you are really looking at bar jobs - plenty of British style pubs - choose one to drink in regularly, tell the boss you're looking for a job, and if your face fits ....

Teaching English is another option - the major schools look for business experience, but you should get some private pupils - think max 15€ per hour - I've heard of 8€

Other expats in the pub will give you good advice too about work and contacts - but bear in mind that most employers prefer French people, and that unemployment among young people is almost 25%.

But it just depends - some day you will be in the right place place at the right time.

Good luck

Ian

Thanks alot Ian for your words of wisdom. I think I will take your advice. I will visit the bars in Paris  to see if there is any work going. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Andy

One more thing I forgot to mention - no work = no health cover. If you are working in the UK you need to phone DHSS or whatever in Newcastle to find out how many months' cover you will be entitled to you when you move here - up to 24 is normal. After that you'll need private health insurance - unless of course you marry your French partner.

Possibly you will be covered by her employment if you have a formalised relationship - PACS I think they are called. Maybe your partner can do some research on this.