Where can I find American products and coffee?

Very well said, HeiD. (=

Yeah indeed after 2 months I miss things you can only get in Belguim

As for coffee at home wise they are plenty of beans etc. Ive still not found a coffe shop yet that offcers skimmed milk sadly

HeiD79, while I agree with most of your post, I felt the end of it is a bit snappy and uncalled for. As you gave an example and emphasized, there is not a thing you can't find here in Belgium that you find in the USA. And perhaps this is 100% reality for you. But please keep in mind that there are different folks with different strokes and we all have different tastes and diversity is what makes us all that special regardless of where we are and where we come from.

im sorry, but how was that snappy? i believe i was helpful while also trying to promote open mindedness. it wasnt meant to be negative.  as such, i am defending the need to go beyond the comfort zone in order to truly embrace diversity. with that in mind 'different strokes and different tastes' can be a problem if it is antithetic to diversity itself. ie, we need to open up to Belgium and what it has to offer in its place. otherwise, we will always be the same and diversity will be only a word used to describe our differences.

Again, I agree completely.

Thanks Melby ;)

Sarah Marie wrote:

does anyone have a link to a guide for the symbols on the microwave oven?  I am from the Unites States and not familiar with this sort of dual appliance. I am use to having my microwave and oven seperate. there are about 7 symbols on mine and I am afraid I only know how to use the microwave but I would very much like to figure out the other symbols.  thanks.

Have you tried Googling the manufacturer and model number?  Often you can find owner's manuals online and they should explain exactly what all those symbols mean.

Re: The original post about finding American food in Europe.  Someone is making an effort to create a list here: http://homesickandhungry.blogspot.com/ 

Also, re: Milk that tastes and smells different from what you're used to, is UHT or Longlife milk.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high … processing  You have to look for LAIT FRAIS.  It comes in full and skim options and most major supermarket chains sell some.

There is also a Dairy man in some places but i think he only dose full fat or full cream fresh milk. I do to netherland once and a while for my fresh milk

Heid, what part of carrefour has these items? You have my curiosity, I work right next to the store so I have to go there to get food for lunch, if I don't bring my own.

Also if you are lucky to live close to the dutch boarder you can always go and see if they have products close by a lot of Belguims do this as well because foods cheaperer however this is only benifical if you live near by

I agree with Melby. When in Rome?...lol I've been here for a year now and aside from Butter-pecan syrup from IHOP there really isn't much that I miss. I'm sure you can go to Starbucks.com and order the beans and such. Or if uyou have a friend in England ask if they can send you some. As for the stores there is one in Brussels Central. As for the milk it is processing but you can get "Lait Frais" or "uncooked" milk. There is no other difference I've found. I go to the Ardennes occasionally and there is an automated roadside stand that sells fresh milk and it is by far the best. I get at least 3 litres every go around and it really isn't that expensive at 1€ a litre.

Yeah only thing I miss really is Skinny lattes and english bacon but im sure i can sweet talk a butcher

Zipper, exactly. If people just try what is available, you realize that there are plenty of things available to substitute with. No reason to have to seek out expensive imported products!

Yeah its werid now ive been here 3 months and when i went home for a couple of days to sort car etc i missed foods from Belguim

Hello

I can't agree with the accomadation or duplicate life argument.Every native will a lighthouse when he is newcommer in a country and that kind of internet site(or socialnetwork) is the proof.

Now, Belgian and american are sharing more code on few points (Media,Brand,IT, etc..), than with bolevian or with south african.

I'am a Belgian and don't know nothing about USA.But why there is no ethnic usa grocery in brussel?to discover;-)

Could you let me know what are the famous brand on the East or West coast in US for this kind of product?
Bread and Morning Goods
Breakfast Cereals
Biscuits
Teas
Crisps & Snacks
Canned Food
Ready Meals
Chilled
Frozen

Could you let me know also do you buy?wholsale,details?
When do you buy?week-end;afterworks(6 PM or 21PM)

Thanks for your answer;-)

Hi,
Grare
Prins Boudewijnlaan 175, Wilrijk 2610 (near Antwerp) is the best place in Belgium. A great store. Phone 03-4494118. On the Freeway to Antwerp from Brussels, take the last exit before the tunnel. Go to the first light and turn left. The store is two blocks on the right.
John

Where can I find Crisco in the Brussels area?
Johndavis

First of all please this is my opinion not a benchmark... I have to agree in one form or another with what each of you have said. For me the things I miss are the tastes I grew up with... the things that provoke/awaken memories... One of the things I miss the most is convenience. The knowledge that you can go to the store and get what you want... I miss peanut butter.... Sometimes I need to search to get it... In the US you could go to ANY grocery store and find multiple varieties of it. I miss stores like Wal-mart where you can go and get what you want when you want it... I would think that in the interest of convenience the rest of the world would have evolved to at least be able to conceptualize the concept of "one stop shopping"... But like I said it is just my opinion...

I must admit like i liked one stop shopping (ull find bigger carfours are the closest ull get) I do like the idea of keeping local businesses

Failing that try albert hijn in Nederlands they also sell peanutbetter allover here

I have absolutely no problems guarding the small businesses. They are ultimately the integral backbone of the entrepreneurial spirit. But in the interests of convenience the larger markets already have a large selection, but it is lacking and the different chains monopolize certain products in their zeal to try to be and get the better of their competition.
Back in the US I envied the ethnic stores, because in a freemarket society they have their niche and demand... I can't understand why nobody has tried to make a small start-up in the American foods area... In or around the capital areas or at the least a central location... Aside from the Military installations there is a relatively large American work force in the American companies and associated communities... If I had the available capital I would at the very least make a directed attempt to provide a taste of home to those that miss that special something that you just can't get or substitute. While others have advised substituting or changing I respectfully interject that not everything can/has a viable substitute. While Stonemanor comes very close they are a British based/oriented entity.

I'm guessing it is financially motivated and the cost/profit ratio doesn't make it a worthwhile investment. Ultimately I'm just saying that there are certain things that have no equivalent and that is a question of personal taste.

By the way sorry for the soap box opera...lol

Johndavis wrote:

Where can I find Crisco in the Brussels area?
Johndavis

Probably not going to find that.... But when at the grocery look for "graisse a frire"... it is basically the same thing although it might not taste exactly the same... And that is a generic term... I found it at Aldi with a Butella brand name but it should be available at all of the other food stores under different brand names...

well im probs gonna give the one in antwerp a go its about a hour from bru by train

hannahhadman wrote:

well im probs gonna give the one in antwerp a go its about a hour from bru by train

I think I'll give it a try also. But I'll need to wait until I can get a job. I still seem to have trouble there. I have the skills and competence just can't seem to get the opportunity...lol
I just found out where to go to "validate" my competences here in Brussels. I hope that helps my cause.

There's a place on the rue du Midi at the corner of rue du Marché au Charbon (two blocks from the Grand'Place)that's modeled on an American style coffee place where you can get big cups of coffee. But be warned that the coffee is made like an espresso and one of these cups will give you a real jolt of caffeine. There's also (shudder) a Starbucks at the Central Station. Or you could learn to appreciate the delicious coffee in small cups that you can buy just about anywhere. you can also order an Americano in most cafés - it's an espresso in a large cup with water added. Of course you can also go to McDonald's or Quick for a big coffee. As for other kinds of US food - if you can offer specifics maybe I can help you.

or just go to starbucks lol there creeping up everywere

Hi,
The Carrefour supermarkets around Brussels/Tervuren/Waterloo tend to have US products.
I have to check where the Americans I know buy their special food. I went to a 4th of July get together with real American food that is usualy served, yummie.
Grtz
Véro