Should I buy a car in USA or in Mexico?

Hello Friends,

We have been living in San Miguel de Allende for awhile and didn't need a car.  However, we will be moving to the Rosarito Beach area next year in order to be closer to relatives in San Diego.  We are wondering if it would be better to buy a car in Mexico or the USA?  We would probably only be spending a day or two per month in the USA.  I remember a time when Mexican gas would ruin US catalytic converters and keep cars from passing inspection later.

Also wondering what insurance is available that would cover trips on both sides of the border.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dan

You would be living practically in the U.S. so import would not be a problem, almost everywhere else it would. You will be going back and forth so it wouldn't really matter, your choice. I have had no problem with the gas in Mexico. Be careful with insurance. Try to investigate a local agent on the Mexican side. Someone you can easily get in contact with. Mexican insurance is not a requirement I am told, but given  traffic it would be advisable. We had insurance in the U.S. and in Mexico, given that the U.S. as far as I know does not work in Mexico and likely vise versa. Your visa status might be a factor in your decision.

Thank you for the reply.  I would certainly prefer buying the car in San Diego.  The thought of having US insurance for a couple of days a months is troublesome.  We will probably be on a Tourist Visa and using the California drivers license.  Any other ideas out there?  Insurance agent recommendations in Rosarita or Tijuana?