Moving to Nairobi with my family soon

Hi I am Somdev Sen and I am moving to Nairobi with may family soon for a senior management job with a reputed telecom operator. I have visited Nairobi many times before and thus know the city quite well, however visiting Nairobi and staying with family there are 2 completely different things. I would be moving there on the 1st of next month and after completion of my joining formalities I would have to move my family. I have 2 daughters one in class 3 and the other one just ready to join nursery. I understand that on Nairobi the school sessions start from September and my question is whether it would be possible for me to get my daughters admitted immediately to a good international school in the middle of the session. The other question that I have is that are there any prominent associations for Bengali community there and whether I could get a contact number to get in touch with them

Hi somdev,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I created a new topic as from your post on the Nairobi forum.

Hi SomDev,

Welcome to Kenya

My names are Kevin Maina, 28 years old. Studied accounts at Strathmore University. [Moderated]

In you case I would recommend you consider Living in Westlands, Parklands and/Or Langata overlooking the Gamepark in Nairobi in Nairobi. Those areas are quite popular to Indian Expertraites and that would come in handy to minimise culture shock especially to the Kids.

[Moderated]

Regards.
Kevin maina.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not promote your services on the forum. Register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

karibu kenya

Hi SomDev, karibu to kenya. i am from pakistan and new in nairobi . If you like you can talk and chat with me.

With regard to the school year; the Kenyan (8-4-4 system) year starts in January and ends in November.  International schools tend to start their school year according to the country to which they are affiliated.  So, for example UK system schools start their school year in September.

You have to apply for your children to join a school of your choice.  It is possible to join a school part way through the school year.

Regarding education standards, the Kenyan system is really very good in my opinion and our granddaughter has really thrived since being transferred from a UK system school to a Kenyan school.