Coming for a week to see what Malta is all about

:dumbom:  ok so I'm a newbie, just got back to the UK after living and working in Dallas for the past 10 years. I've travelled a lot but never been to Malta. So I thought I'd nip over mid February for a week just to check it out before the tourist season starts and everything is now booked so I can get away from this cold weather, Yeaha! (sorry thats the bad influence of the last 10 years) I think I'll like what I see I've been doing my research etc. but If I do move over I will want to rent and I keep seeing that you have to spend €9000+ a year to qualify? Im coming on my own and was looking to rent for around €500 a month and from what I've seen online I can get a nice place for that. So if anyone can give me the down low and any other info I'd really appreciate it.

Chalks1 wrote:

:dumbom:  ok so I'm a newbie, just got back to the UK after living and working in Dallas for the past 10 years. I've travelled a lot but never been to Malta. So I thought I'd nip over mid February for a week just to check it out before the tourist season starts and everything is now booked so I can get away from this cold weather, Yeaha! (sorry thats the bad influence of the last 10 years) I think I'll like what I see I've been doing my research etc. but If I do move over I will want to rent and I keep seeing that you have to spend €9000+ a year to qualify? Im coming on my own and was looking to rent for around €500 a month and from what I've seen online I can get a nice place for that. So if anyone can give me the down low and any other info I'd really appreciate it.

There is nothing to say you have to spend anything, what does matter is that you have to have a minimum income or sufficient capital so that you are 'self sufficient'. Alternatively you can of course work if you can find a job, assuming you are an EU citizen.  This link to the 'Sticky' at the top of this forum will give you a basic idea of what is required of you.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

500€ would get you a nice apartment in some areas of Malta or even a reasonable small to medium house in Gozo.

Ray

Hey, thanks
I think I was getting caught by these rules http://www.emd.com.mt/advocates/permanent-residence/ anyway I'm self sufficient (used to be boy scout). I'm looking forward to being able to walk places instead of always having to drive. I have read it get cold and damp in winter. But as an ex boy scout lol I can manage that, thanks again. :huh:

Chalks1 wrote:

Hey, thanks
I think I was getting caught by these rules http://www.emd.com.mt/advocates/permanent-residence/ anyway I'm self sufficient (used to be boy scout). I'm looking forward to being able to walk places instead of always having to drive. I have read it get cold and damp in winter. But as an ex boy scout lol I can manage that, thanks again. :huh:

Being a Boy Scout does not mean you will be prepared for Malta!
Walking in Gozo is not too bad, apart from the shooting maniacs, but I would suggest you get your holiday visit done with and then think whether it is for you. If you do, come back again for 2 or 3 weeks and see if you would like to be here as a resident rather than a tourist.
It is a nice country but does have it's irritations!

Ray

Hi Ray, thanks for that, I guess what I'm talking about is the difference between Dallas (where you have to drive everywhere no corner shops) and being able to cross the road and get a coffee. I like being near the water and enjoy boating etc. I know there's going to be a BIG difference in size and I think my quick visit will give me a better idea. I'm actually not a big walker but enjoy history which Malta seems packed with. Anyway time will tell, thanks again, JohnC
Ps..what are the biggest irritations?
Shooting in big D was regular event! Seriously! (talk about a load of cowboys) I'm retired too for want of a better word, just not ready for the knackers yard yet.

Chalks1 wrote:

Hi Ray, thanks for that, I guess what I'm talking about is the difference between Dallas (where you have to drive everywhere no corner shops) and being able to cross the road and get a coffee. I like being near the water and enjoy boating etc. I know there's going to be a BIG difference in size and I think my quick visit will give me a better idea. I'm actually not a big walker but enjoy history which Malta seems packed with. Anyway time will tell, thanks again, JohnC
Ps..what are the biggest irritations?
Shooting in big D was regular event! Seriously! (talk about a load of cowboys) I'm retired too for want of a better word, just not ready for the knackers yard yet.

My biggest irritations are the so called hunters who shoot anything, dogs that bark all day and night, noisy cars and noisy Maltese tourists. Other than that, it is great in Gozo.

Malta and Gozo can be a fab place to live for sure - - just need to find the right place

Ive had a few suggestions Sliema, Mellieha, Birkhara and St Paul's these suggestion were given from someone who arrived 4 months ago.

for me it would have to be Mellieha - but then thats because we lived there for 5.5 years of our 6yr stay . in all honesty it depends a lot on whether you need to work and where you expect to be able to get that work as we all know the roads are congested and the bus service is hardly reliable..... and as a result the travel time to work can be excessive so make your choice with good sound solid supported evidence of reality.... they guys here will give you that for sure

Chalks1 wrote:

Ive had a few suggestions Sliema, Mellieha, Birkhara and St Paul's these suggestion were given from someone who arrived 4 months ago.

If you don't need to work, Gozo is a little quieter with less traffic and the bus service is generally very good. It is however more of a journey to the Airport if you travel a lot.

Ray

OK I think I've got a better idea now. I had sort of discounted Gozo as I got the impression it was very quiet with nothing open in winter. But I cann see I need to take a look. Whatever happens I'd like to have made a decision before I come back to the uk on the 25th Feb.
Thanks for all your help
John C

Chalks1 wrote:

OK I think I've got a better idea now. I had sort of discounted Gozo as I got the impression it was very quiet with nothing open in winter. But I cann see I need to take a look. Whatever happens I'd like to have made a decision before I come back to the uk on the 25th Feb.
Thanks for all your help
John C

Majority of the restaurants open all year round some less hours.

F0xgl0ve wrote:

If you don't need to work, Gozo is a little quieter with less traffic and the bus service is generally very good. It is however more of a journey to the Airport if you travel a lot.

Ray

Honestly Gozo -> Airport and back is not that bad if you take a taxi in Malta. Bus service in Gozo is excellent so as long as you're travelling light (backpack) you won't need a taxi there.

Malta ferry terminal -> airport is a very quick journey IF and only IF you get a good taxi driver who knows his stuff. Always prebook/pay online.

mantasmo wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

Ray

Honestly Gozo -> Airport and back is not that bad if you take a taxi in Malta. Bus service in Gozo is excellent so as long as you're travelling light (backpack) you won't need a taxi there.

Malta ferry terminal -> airport is a very quick journey IF and only IF you get a good taxi driver who knows his stuff. Always prebook/pay online.

Direct taxi service, door to door, from Gozo to Malta airport is usually between  55€ and 70€ and takes around 2 hours.