Marrying a morrocan national

My experience on marrying a moroccan national.

10/11/2015

Salaam brothers and sisters inshaallah i will help those in confusion in regards to marrying a Moroccan national.

One must attain things...finance, good organisational skills, and last of all patience.

Inshaallah as we go through the steps that i went through, you will understand why you need these three.

I took about £1500 (excluding mahar and walima etc) to spend for taxi fees (40DH/ £3 back and forth) and in general eating etc although i stayed at fiance house i still needed the money. Train to rabat is around 180DH/£8 RETURN  FIRST CLASS for 2 people. We went there twice once for embassy and once for rings etc. You won't need that much tbh i got this with me as we was buying many things. Max you will spend including all documents i would say £500

Connection in Morocco is helpful as it makes the process faster and less stressful, my fiancé uncle had a few friends in the court and police force so that made things slightly easy.

The Moroccan consulate website in London is rubbish and there system is not updated as off 12/11/2015.

While i was in UK The documents needed are:

Updated birth certificate £11**
ACRO police certificate £45**
3 months pay slip
Letter from employment**

One thing i was told i would need and at the end i found out i did not need it was NO IMPEDIMENT AND SHAHADAH CERTIFICATE+, This is because the law changed and they don't need a "no impediment" as of march 2014.

+Shahadah certificate was not needed because i had a muslim name.

If you have a typical bengali/Pakistan name like "mitu miah or pyare khan" these ridiculous names will get you into problems you will need a shahadah cert or go to adool and get a certificate in morocco. Probably end up paying money too. Even if you have a Muslim name find out from the court just in case.

Also if you a NON MUSLIM. Sorry I can't help as other non muslims did marry but i think they had to go to adool and testify they was muslim with 15 photos of themselves. You need to research on that.

**Best thing is scan those documents to your fiancé before you fly out and get her to get them translated. It cost around 250DH SO £15/20 per document. Trust me this saves a long time! Most likely a Days job. Make sure you do this!!

Translate:
Letter from employment.
Criminal record.
Birth certificate.
Capacity to marry (you'll get that from rabat embassy)

You need to prepare these documents and they all need to be dated within 3 months! So for example if your flying out in November 10th you will need all documents dated from September 10th onwards, Also police record can take 3/4 weeks so start on that first....

Your fiancé also needs to get a
Same load of documents too from
Her local authorities she can get them all in 2 days. Also she will need a pregnancy test certificate. She needs to go to the family court and get a list that will tell you everything you need. Make sure you both get the right documents one mistake and it can delay the whole process.

Ok go to the Uk gov website and book a appointment with the British embassy rabat. Also book the earliest possible as you will need to go to 2 more other places same day. So like 9am.

I flew out on a Sunday evening and started running around Monday onwards....

MONDAY
I exchanged money gave 200DH to get my medical certificate from the clinic. Also she should get her medical certificate aswell and  Collected my translated documents.

Got the train to rabat Monday evening as my interview at the embassy was at 9am we stayed at her aunties house so was lucky. Roads in rabat are busy so get a taxi Atleast 30 mins before interview takes a While to get there depending where your staying.

TUESDAY
9am
At the embassy you will have to take your passport and your fiancé passport and give them 1400DH/£100 you will sign a few forms and swear a affidavit. They will give you two forms

1.    Certified copy of passport (certificate of nationality)
    2.    Capacity to marry (affidavit) this is also a single certificate.
10am
This interview takes 30 mins so once thats done go straight to the ministry of affairs and they will legalise those two documents. 40DH each. Queue is long but be patient and send your fiancé as those idiots don't speak English you will have to wait outside. Give her the money and your I.D (passport)

11.10am
Then go to the criminal justice (full of moody idiots) give a copy of your passport they will issue you with a clean record to show your clear in Morocco also they might say come back in 4 hours etc i waited 4.5 hours.

3.30pm-5.30pm
We got the train at 3.30pm back to her town and went straight to the translation office and got the 2 documents from british embassy translated (certificate or nationality and affidavit). But waited till Wednesday to collect it. Tbh we was told only to translate the capacity to marry and not the certificate of nationality. So again you need to refer to the list and find out what needs to be translated.

WEDNESDAY.
Collected the rest of the translated document and Went to court waited 3 hours in the heat and submitted the forms as long as the person in the court is happy with the forms she will open a case and you must go to the police for the interview. The court will
Make 5 copies of each document and make 5 files one for adool and one for police and other 3 for the court. That took the whole day.

THURSDAY
Went police for the interview they asked random stupid question like "do i own a house" they make it like they gonna pay my bills, he didn't ask much as her uncle knew someone in a high position,

I'm telling you arabs in general are so arrogant hell i mean for god sake its AFRICA! not exactly heaven on earth!

We had a issue because my fiancé had lived and studied at another city so that delayed the process as the files got sent there but we had a connection in that town as her uncle was in the police force so was lucky Alhamdullilah.

FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY.

No news.

MONDAY FOLLOWING WEEK.

We was told the files arrived back into town and was waiting on confirmation for when it arrives back at court this is more or less the final process, inshaallah today i will find out if i have been given the permission, basically this is the whole process nothing left for me to wait for just this and inshallah i can book the nikkah on a specific date.

Just wanted to say I booked 2 weeks and Alhamdullilah due to connections the process was easier if you don't have connection then may allah make things easy on you as others without connection still got married within 2/3 weeks so don't worry allah is with you.

This is a experience from meknes....other cities requirements may vary.

The reason i wrote all this is because when I needed help i had no one, one brother was reluctant to help i mean he gave a few pointers and that was it other than that the brother would ignore my calls all I needed was 20 mins of his time. I made sincere dua to allah and it was allah who helped me sooo much. "Indeed allah is with the patient" (Quran)

salam brother i just came across your post about marriage in Morocco.

im in the process of getting my documents ready.

my name is Haroon hussain im a british citizen

i have applied for a police certificate which i paid £45
i have my full birth certificate
3 months payslip
2 months bank statements
letter of no impediment
doctors letter
letter to say im muslim, even though i am  muslim

can i  get my documents translated here in the uk first before i fly out to rabat,

also do i need to get my documents legalized or stamp here first in uk to say its genuine, as it was stating on the gov.uk website, unless i misread the information.

also where can i get a doctor certificate from rabat. my fiance family live in a small town 4 hours away from rabat.

my fiance has her passport,
Moroccan identity card
4 passport pictures
doctor certificate
criminal certificate.

what else do i need to do, as i want to make this smooth as possible, and not make any mistakes.

also the house i have is in uk, but its my parents house, as i dont have my own place yet.

i look forward to hearing from you soon.

Warm regards

brother Haroon

Wsalaam, what town does your fiancé live in? She needs to go to the family court and get a list on mix marriages that will tell you everything as each city had different requirements, you don't need "no impediment" british embassy don't need it anymore just a passport and birth certificate will do, get your medical certificate from Morocco her local town will do just tell her to go to the doctors take your i.d they will issue one, no translate them in Morocco find a approved translator there best way is scan the documents over to her so she can start on them now

You don't need to legalise anything, only legalise the two documents you get from rabat embassy, they will give you 2 documents take them to ministry of affairs in rabat

Translate

Birth certificate
Letter of employment
Criminal record (get the ACRO POLICE ONE)
Shahada certificate.

When your in Morocco translate
Affidavit (capacity to marry)
Certificate of nationality.
LYou get those on British embassy so dont worry about that

Ok jzk for your advice. Also do I need to get a doctor's letter from uk to say I'm clear of any illness as it did say on the British morocan consulate website.

My finance lives in khenifera a small town.

Someone told me to translate documents before I go out as it saves alot of work and hassle

Sorry to ask you this but, when did you get married was it recently in morocco?

Thank you for your experience , i am moroccan and i know how the stupid process go there however when they know that you are brits, they think that you are bank . But, indeed allah with the patient

Salaam brother im looking to get married to an moroccan national and i had few questions for you. Is it possible you could give me your private email and i can forward you the questions. JZK

Wsalaam

Yeah sure. Email me **

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Salaam brother. Your post has been very helpful so far. I'm a Sri Lankan national currently living in UAE (Alhamdulillah Muslim). My embassy in Abu Dhabi was able to only issue me a letter confirming required details. Despite my continued requests they insisted that they won't be able to issue me any particular document "certificate of nationality" or "marriage eligibility certificate" as they have not done this before. They work like programmed machines tbh.

Following are the information mentioned on the Embassy letterhead (I've translated the letter into Arabic and attested by the Ministry of External Affairs in Dubai):

> Certifying that I'm a holder or Sri Lankan passport number #####
> Single as per the affidavit submitted by my mother and that I have never contracted any marriage
> Details of my fiancee and her ID number
> No objection to let me marry in Morocco

Can you please advise if this is sufficient or going to create a trouble for me as am going to Morocco next month In Shaa ALLAH!

JazakALLAH Khayran.

Wa'alaikum salaam your passport should be your certificate of nationality and your affidavit should be confirm your eligibility to marry do you know if there is a sri lankan embassy in Morocco

Thank you very much for the reply. We don't have Sri Lankan embassy/consulate in Morocco. I am preparing all documents from UAE. So, the letter says am single and never contracted a marriage, also states no objection from the embassy. Doesn't that technically mean am eligible to marry?

Yes that should Inshaallah sorry was abroad, I don't know about the uae but the uk does not need the CERTIFICATE OF NO IMPEDIMENT which means no objection to marry

My Moroccan friend told me that Asian women are looked down upon in Morocco.  The clonialism has given the Moroccians lots of inferiority. The moroccan friend told me that the Moroccain men prefer to marry white women.  I hope not all Moroccain men thinks his way, but I know by experience many of them do.  I was madly in love with a Moroccain man before, but I broke the engagement recently.  I painfully discovered that his real intention is to marry me for the Greencard.  All the warnings I received turned out true.  He begged me with tears to go back to him, but I this time I will not fall victim of his sweet words and nice looks.

Once you get a few warnings just walk away simple, you can tell whwn your marrying someone whose after a greencard its just the way they are hard to explain but they always expose themselves eventually

Well said

I have prepared all documents upto my country's capacity to provide, In Shaa ALLAH hoping to get through the marriage process without trouble. Thanks a lot!

You have only mentioned 3 Documents needed from the Uk - Birth Certificate - Wage slips and Police Reference Certificate , i also found out that you need a Legal Registration Certificate to prove if you are either SINGLE OR DIVORCED ' Can you possibly clarify this please

When i went to the british embassy they have me two forms affidavit that proved i was single and i also got a copy of my passport main page

So effectively YOU DID PRODUCE  A LEGAL DOCUMENT TAKEN FROM THE UK TO PROVE YOU WERE SINGLE ?

Well i did take a certificate of no impediment but the British embassy said it was no longer needed so they just gave me the affidavit and said that would prove im single

Oh , So That is Great , so rather than me going through the Hassle of obtaining a Certificate of no Impediment here in the Uk, i can just obtain the Affidavit from British Embassy instead , Thanks for your reply Shykco

Yes also check the British government website in regards to what forms you need when you go to the embassy book a appointment with them and it should cost about £80/90 but you have to pay in dirhams

Salam all brothers and sisters
Any one can tell about some questions
M planning to get marry in Morroco
I shall be very thankful to you
Regards
MUHAMMAD

Salam brother
Am looking to go January for nikah
What am confused is can I translate documents in Marrakech ?
Than go to Rabat U.K. embassy for my documents
It looks simple but I know it will be challenging
You advise will help me
What is the first thing I should do

Yes you should translate almost all documents tht need translating before u go to rabat

Brother
Need your advice
When you go to the British embassy
Do you only take your passport ? Or is there any other documents I need to take ?
Please let me know
Thanks you

Hi sorry yes course take your passport its all on the list

Hey,
your post has been very helpful.

where as I have a doubt. once I  get the legal capacity certificate and certificate of nationality from my embassy there. Then the next step is translating them first of getting them attested from Moroccan ministry of foreign affairs.

Rephrasing the questions, Arabic translated documents need to be attested or original documents will be attested and then translation will be done and submitted to the tribunal.

also one more question,

once the court opens the case, the next step is the interview with police right ? you can di the interview the very next day after the case is opened??  can you elaborate this please ??