Living in Bali, working for a company abroad?

Hey there,

I am already staying / living in Bali. So far I just came with a Social Budaya and living off my savings. But now they will probably change the regulations for Social Budaya, so I was looking for a job with a ITAS and KITAS.

But now I have this really cool job offer from a company in the US. I would be able to work remotely, so no need to relocate.

Now is there a possibility for me to still apply for the ITAS or Social Budaya? Or since I would be working, do I need a KITAS as well?

I want to get married, but it is too soon for me now, so marriage is not an option (Everyone I asked so far suggested to get married).

I am desperate for help.
Thank You,
Nessie

Nessie, a licensed visa agent can act as your sponsor for a temporary residence visa (KITAS).  When I used to be on various visas I used these folks and was always happy with them:

http://www.bali-expat-business.com/

That said, I don't think there are going to be any changes in the current social/visit visas, so you might consider staying with that, even though you have to run off to Singapore (or elsewhere) every 180 days. 

I'm assuming that your position would be along the lines of being like an author or artist who, while in effect is working here, at the same time is not employed by a company based in Indonesia and is not receiving remuneration from any Indonesian based entity.  This has always been a grey area of the labor laws here. 

For certain you don't want to consider getting married for the sole purpose of getting a residency visa.

If your work is from home, anon and for an offshore company, there is pretty much zero chance of you being bothered by anyone.
That and you'll be contributing to the local economy with no loss to it, so why would anyone want to bother you?
Assuming Roy's suggestion of a sponsor works out for you, I really don't see you having any worries.
The company will advise as to what to put on the forms.

Nessie, sorry to give you the bad news... but there is no LEGAL way to do it unless the company contracts you and pays the company sponsored Kitas and you or the company pays the yearly fee of $1,200

Even if this is possible, the paperwork will take you a few months at the fastest.

Degler, I'm afraid that what you wrote is not entirely correct.

As I mentioned in my first post, the labor laws in Indonesia have several “grey areas” which are left entirely up to the interpretation of the judicial branch of government.

What Fred wrote is correct, and it's correct because the intention of these labor laws is being fulfilled under a situation like what Nessie describes.

The labor laws of Indonesia are specifically designed to protect and safeguard jobs in Indonesia for Indonesians.  Moreover those laws were written well before the internet became a viable way to conduct business. 

In Nessie's situation she (or he) would not be employed by a company here in Indonesia, and moreover would not be receiving a salary from a company here in Indonesia. 

That said, is it possible that her/his work here could be construed by someone in the police department or immigration as a visa violation?  Yes, it is possible, but as Fred mentions, it is highly, highly unlikely.  Moreover, if that were to happen, that would almost certainly be due to another reason why immigration or the police wanted that person out of Indonesia…specifically the suspicion of more serious illegal activity…drugs, pedophilia, etc.  This would fall on what is often called within various judicial systems as “selective prosecution.”   

Nessie's situation is not a black or white situation.  And furthermore there are lots of folks here in Indonesia, in particular, Bali, who are in her/his situation and not being bothered by either the police, or immigration.

Fred makes another very important point, that being that Nessie, in her/his situation would be “contributing to the local economy with no loss to it.”  You might be surprised just how much common sense goes into the decisions made here by both police and immigration officials.

Wow thank you so much for your replies, you are a great help!

1. nessie, short for Vanessa, so I am a woman ;) you can stop wondering now

2. I have an Indonesian friend who would act as my sponsors. I was just never sure If social budaya is sufficient for me.
But from what I read so far, great news.

If you hear any news, please let me know

The key to all of this Nessie is to be “low key.”  As you well know, nobody on this forum is going to overtly encourage or even suggest that someone break the laws here, but, your situation is in that grey area, an area where someone who doesn't really know or understand Indonesian law could well come out and say that you are breaking the law.  You're not per se breaking the law, rather you could, at most, be said to be breaking someone's interpretation of the law. 

One thing you can count on in Bali…and it's going on right now as I type, is that those who frequently come in and out from visa runs to renew visas like VOA's or 60 day visit visas are being subjected to thorough questioning by immigration on arrival.  They are looking for folks who are in fact overtly working illegally here.  So, if asked “how are you supporting yourself here during your stays” you should put emphasis on your off shore (Switzerland or US) bank accounts…money from mom or dad and the like.  And this same advice applies when discussing your situation with other expats. 

Also important regarding the use of social visas is that your sponsor is an Indonesian who resides in the area near to where you reside.  This is most important when going to immigration for your 30 extensions. 

Good luck, and welcome to Bali!

Yes I know, I found this blog post: http://visaforbali.com/blog/instruction … tober-2015
That is also why I was scared, that social budaya might not be enough to come back.

My sponsor will be my boyfriend / fiancee. But as mentioned before, I don't feel ready yet to get married. And just getting married now, only to get the visa, is something I would rather not do.

Money transfers I will always do over my Swiss Account anyway. IDR is a very unstable currency, I don't want to risk anything.

Thank you so much

Good!  It sounds to me like you have your head on straight.  You might be surprised just how many folks come over here and loose all their senses!  I always say, “Bali, she is the ultimate narcotic.”   ;)

Cheers, and good luck with your relationship too!   :top:

Degler wrote:

Nessie, sorry to give you the bad news... but there is no LEGAL way to do it unless the company contracts you and pays the company sponsored Kitas and you or the company pays the yearly fee of $1,200

Even if this is possible, the paperwork will take you a few months at the fastest.

I must also disagree with this for the reasons Roy and I stated above.
It could be deemed illegal, but no one would want to unless there was a second reason to do so.
Indonesian immigration are far from stupid, so they'll do a grand total of nothing to stop the OP.
Roy says the laws are designed to protect Indonesians, and he's right.
Indonesia has every reason to want people such as the OP here, and no reasons not to.

Ubudian wrote:

“Bali, she is the ultimate narcotic.”

Haha That is true :D I grew up in Switzerland... You can get the girl out of Switzerland, but you can't get Switzerland out of the girl ( or however you say that in English  :P )
I will always have to plan and organize everything. I love Indonesia, but I will never become a "real" Indonesian with their indifferent attitude.

Thank you very much, and if you want to come snorkeling or diving in Tulamben, you can come to me  ;);););)

Fred wrote:
Degler wrote:

I must also disagree with this for the reasons Roy and I stated above.
It could be deemed illegal, but no one would want to unless there was a second reason to do so.
Indonesian immigration are far from stupid, so they'll do a grand total of nothing to stop the OP.
Roy says the laws are designed to protect Indonesians, and he's right.
Indonesia has every reason to want people such as the OP here, and no reasons not to.

:top::top::top::top::top:
So I will call the company in the US and will discuss all the contract details :)

Thank you so much

“Thank you very much, and if you want to come snorkeling or diving in Tulamben, you can come to me…”

Nessie, please don't tell me now, after this thread has gone so smoothly, that you're moonlighting as an illegal dive instructor/guide at Tulamben.   :o   Nah, don't tell me that.  Rather, tell me something like you're addicted to all those fish hanging around the USS Liberty wreck.    ;)

If I would be one of them, I wouldn't need a job in the US, would I?
I came to Tulamben to do my Divemaster and Instructor Course, but no I DO NOT work here.
I want to stay in Indonesia, the last thing I want is to jeopardise this by something as stupid as this.

Hehe and yes I have to admit, I am addicted to the fish ;)

Good!  I was a bit worried, but just a bit! 

And yes, the Liberty is a great dive.  Some years ago a great old friend of mine from Bali came over for a visit and he has dived at virtually every major world spot known to divers.  In his opinion the Liberty wreck dive had a greater diversity of species (including the pygmy sea horse) than any other dive he had done.  Just out of curiosity, did you happen to do your dive master course with our "uncle" John Huxley (Eco Dive)? 

Cheers, and have a great weekend!

OH, and before I forget.  If you find yourself in Ubud and want to meet with a fellow countryman, stop by the Fly Cafe and introduce yourself to chef Markus Kuhni.  He'd be happy to prepare a dish you might be missing...from the homeland.

No, I think Eco Dive is in Amed (at least I don't know of one in Tulamben).
I did it with a Resort directly in Tulamben.

Fly Cafe? the pictures don't looks so swiss, but with Ribs you can not be wrong! I will definitely check it out, next time I go to Ubud. Thanks for the tip

Yes, Eco Dive is based in Jimaluk Beach (Amed) just 15 minutes down the road from Tulamben, but they do a lot of dives on the Liberty, thus I asked.  They were the second dive shop to start operations on Bali...but as you know, these days there are lots of them.

Markus took over the Fly from an Australian late last year...thus the photos are not recent. 

He's been an executive chef at various 5 star resorts in Asia and the Middle East for over twenty years and decided it was time to do something for himself.  He's an awesome chef, as my own waistline will attest! 

Bon appetite!

Sounds really delicious!
I am now thinking about diving there for dinner, but Ubud is a bit too far, for just dinner and back....  :sosad:

If you're in Tulamben now, you're right...way too long a drive to Ubud...at least an hour an a half and no fun at night either.  As the crow flies it's not that great a distance, it's just that there are no direct roads. 

Another tip, since you might be in that area now.   

If you are prone to enjoy a cocktail now and then, stop by Sails Restaurant in Amed and ask for a bottle of their "special arak."  The best arak on Bali (and it's safe too) is made in the Amed area, but they put spices like cinnamon, cloves, and other stuff into the bottle and lay them down for a few months.  AWESOME.   :top:   They also get in some New Zealand lamb on a fairly regular basis in case you find yourself craving lamb.  They do a wonderful lamb roast.   

Cheers!

Do you know where in Amed the restaurant is?
I will not be able to stop by there before I fly back to Switzerland visiting the family.
But once I am back, I should be able to find some time ;)

Lean Beach, Abang. You won't see it from the road (only their sign and parking area) because it's up on a cliff overlooking the bay.  Their web site seems to be down, but here's their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/sails-restaura … 283678713/

Sounds romantic :D
Thank you for the tip, I will definitely check it out.

after a few years of observation, it is not like the west!

No one makes enough money in Indonesia,*****

If you are lucky!   The system is really that way.

You are a target if you live in Bali or Indonesia, so keeping a low profile is essential.
So is obeying all the rules possible.

and unfortunately having some emergency money.

I have learned the hard way.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Inappropriate content moderated. Please avoid generalization on the forum.

One would think that if foreigners here in Bali were the constant and regular target of corruption that new waves of them coming here would subside.  For sure, that hasn't happened. 

And, one would also think that the internet forums covering Bali would be loaded with stories of “how a Balinese ripped me off.”  That isn't the case either. 

That it happens, there is no doubt, and that someone who has been a victim would be cynical is totally understandable.  But, some “hard lessons” are part of the educational process here, and we've all had one or two.  The euphemism  I prefer to use is “paying one's dues.”  And, while Bali maybe paradise, no one has said that all the Balinese are angels.   ;)

toogoodtbt wrote:

You are a target if you live in Bali or Indonesia, so keeping a low profile is essential.
So is obeying all the rules possible.
and unfortunately having some emergency money.

I try my best, but as a "Bule"-woman I kind of stand out among all the locals.

I make sure everyone knows that I am not working, but if you have someone who wants to hurt you, they always find a way.
In Indonesia as a foreigner you always loose, I know (luckily not from personal experience).
Hopefully no one ever wants to do that on purpose.

About the money... I always want to have enough money on the side, to be able to come back home.
But all the plans you do, they turn out different anyway, I just can prepare myself to all eventualities and hope for the best. But I guess that is the same wherever you live anyway.

Thanks for the adivse

Ubudian wrote:

One would think that if foreigners here in Bali were the constant and regular target of corruption that new waves of them coming here would subside.  For sure, that hasn't happened.
[....]
And, while Bali maybe paradise, no one has said that all the Balinese are angels.   ;)

There are plenty of books written about the naive woman marrying a guy from another culture and getting ripped off. Trust me I know, everyone I am telling about my boyfriend recommends them to me.  :D
And yes I admit I did not find a book about "Balinese Hindu Men" in particular, but who knows, maybe I am the first :p

No jokes aside: I think there is a risk with every relationship you have, and as every relationship, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 50 / 50 chance...
For me right now, the risk is worth it, and that's all that counts right now.
And if the situation changes (f.e. Marriage, Children) then I have to evaluate again.
Until then, I enjoy my life as much as I can ;)