Infos about living in Paraguay.

Hi, can anyone tell me a bit about living in Paraguay?

like what?

[moderated: no free ads]

Hello,

Im going to Asunción for 6 month and i feel quite informed about life there tnaks to all the blogs and forums those I read, but I have still one interrogative:
How internet works there? I mean how can I get internet connection without living there for long period and if I can use skype and other messengering and calling stuff. I have read a lot in this topic but it is still a mistery for me how it really works!

You can go to a cyber cafe and pay to use the internet for an hour at a time (or more, or less, of course), and most have chat/skype capabilities.  I'd advise that you go to one of the "cybers" (SEE buhrs) in the large grocery stores, if this is conveniently located near you.  There, they have air conditioning and are less likely to overcharge you because you're not a local.  If not, the small cybers are just fine. 

And if you are bringing your laptop and prefer to use your own computer, go by a Tigo office, tell them you want to buy their modem or chip outright, and then just buy minutes as you go (called saldo).  You can subscribe for a six month period, or you can pay as you go.  I hope this helped....

Hello!

Thank you very much it was of absolutely of big help! So it's a fake that skype is blocked in the country. On some pages I read that all voip services are blocked but than it's all okey.

Thanks a lot!
D

http://www.linux.org.py/foro/topic/1097/copaco-voip/

The link is to a Paraguayan linux forum thread discussing SIP (soft internet phone) blocking.  They convincingly pinned the blockage on COPACO, the state owned tele-comunications company.

The thread ended in April 2008.  It seem that is when SIP blocking ended.

The next question is, "cost". 
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/prices/cal … #listing-P
It costs, using skype, e0.099 to e0.214 to call into Paraguay.

What does it cost to call out using skype?

In the corporate world, ebay relinquished some interest in Skype and no longer controls it.

Recently Google bought Gizmo5, a similar SIP provider.