Renting Car with International License

Hello guys!

Hope all is fine.

I just arrived to Kuwait and I am want to rent a car. I hold an international license.

I called various car dealers but all refused to do so. They mentioned that I should rent a car from the airport only. Why is that??? Anyone has any idea about this?

Thanks in advance :)

Did you call dealers or rental car companies? I had no problems renting a car from rental companies like Budget with my international driving license. There are car dealers that have a rental business on the side, they are a different story.

Yeah I called rental car companies.

I still don't have a Iqama....that might be the problem?

It wasn't a problem for me two years ago. Maybe the rules have changed...that's unheard of here. :)

Don't know really...every month they come up with new rules...Anyhow thanks :)

hello dear,

Yes it is correct, and simply you can go to the airport and rent a car from the care agencies there no issues :D.

But isn't it too expensive? so no hope of renting outside the airport?

I think no..but if u have relatives or friends that can rent a car for u and u can drive. Or go directly to airport and rent from there.

the companies renting at the airport are the same ones renting outside hte airport i.e. europcar (part of the Alghanim network), so instead of going to the airport, go to ALGHO (the Head Office) in Shuwaikh, on the 55.

if they're waiting for your residency then that would nullify your international driving licence, so ask them there are Europcar what all the hubub is, bub :P

There are many little rental places around Maboula and Manguf areas that will rent to someone with an International Permit (Based on a United Nations Convention Article), a copy of your formal Drivers License from your home country, and income verification from your current employer.  But ... they charge an arm and a leg for the service ... usually starting at about 200kd (monthly) for a small car.  Pricing gets a lot more reasonable once you have your Kuwaiti DL

If u are on visit visa and have international driving license than there is no problem,If u came to the country with work permit than u are not allowed to drive on the intentional license. You have to have an ID to ask for driving license. But have in mind that there is so many restrictions, like salary cup, min 2 years in Kuwait and higher education

Try going on:

comparecarhire.co.uk/

They will compare the rates and its alot lower than approaching them directly.

Good luck