Expat ladies in Morocco... need some helpful tips when relocating !

Salam and Good morning to all,

This post is directed especially towards expat ladies in Morocco, however please lads feel free to comment.. all tips are greatly appreciated :)

I would like to relocate to Morocco and it's just gonna be me, myself and I... basically what I wanna know is... what should I look out for? Any tips with regards to renting, transport systems ,  searching for jobs,,,,places to go... what to look out for... I mean we all have common sense I guess but it is amazing how sometimes what is considered to be normal to me could be considered offensive to others..

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,

Ayouch

Hi Ayoush,

Any tips would be mainly depending on your contemplated situation/project in Morocco, your budget and where you will be settling can also help better assess what you need to think about. But here are some first thoughts: language, well located place where to leave since you Will be alone, public transportation is available and affordable but its reliability adequation depend on your requirements.
Main cities are not equal when it comes to jobs, types of jobs and leisure. Hope this helps !if you need more détails on a specific aspect do not hesitate to mention.

Hasnae

Good Afternoon,

I am a westerner and female living in a quiet town in Morocco.  I have been searching for a job for 2 years now and still no luck.   I would suggest that you save alot of money in a bank account in your home country that you can access here in Morocco.  Please note that when opening an account at any bank in Morocco that you open it in Dirhams.  If you open it in any other currency then tha banks will only allow to to deposit that currency and you will only be able to withdraw Dirhams. Beware of Moroccan men.  They will do what they can to be with you.  Some will pretend to be interested in you and want to get married only to try to get you to apply to immigration to get them into your home country.  I suggest not to go out after dark and never carry a purse.  Keep your cellphone in your pocket for if you walk and talk some people will steal it and sell it.  Try not to go out alone until you are very familar with whatever area you are staying in.  My husband accompanies me when I go out and he does the shopping at the market because they see my green eyes and white skin and they think tourist and jack the prices way up.  I married into a wonderful family and have made wonderful friends,  but there is good and bad wherever you go so be careful.  Do not tip more than 1 american dollar for if you give once and they expect it all the time.  Culture Shock is another thing....boy did I get surpised to see how bad the health care facilites are here.  Please not that most places do not use western toilets and bring toilet paper when using public toilets.  My husband put in a north american bathroom in for me equipped with toilet, sink and shower.  Be aware always of your surroundings for there were  some French and German Tourists attacked just a couple of weeks ago.  You shoud remember that Morocco is a third world country and they want what you have and have no problem taking it. Most people are good, kind and loving here but there a number of bad apples.   Good luck. :)

Hello,
I have been in Morocco for several years. I have met many other expat women in Morocco. I am married to a Moroccan national, but I have single friends too.
It is wise to take the offer of a new relationship with a bit of skepticism at first.  But, as I have been married to my husband for 4 years now, it is possible to find a genuinely good man in Morocco. 
If you go out into the market place looking like a tourist, expect to be treated like one. I suggest you learn a basic understanding of Darija or French so you can negotiate prices. I suggest you also try to dress as more traditioal  Moroccan ladies do. I call it wearing "Moroccan camouflage" ...skin tone, hair color, eye color suddenly becomes less significant when you have a hijab and jalaba on while shopping.

Finding work in Morocco is difficult for even Moroccans. As by law employers must give priority to Moroccans or those already with resistancy  cards, it is quite difficult for an expat  to get a job in Morocco.  I did work for a few months a couple years ago, so there are exceptios to every rule.

Money is a constant problem for internationals. The fact is, an Expat must have a residency card to open a normal bank account. I don't suggest you keep large amounts of cash  on you. Unles you can access your bank account in your home land via a bank card at an ATM, then you will need to suffer with  a limited international bank account.  I simply choose to have someone western union wire me cash when I neec it. It is a hassle,  but it works.

Don't invite strange men into your apartment even if it is a repairman and you really need something fixed. It is advisable that you have another person there with you. As many repairmen wont come in if you are alone. Any suggestion of impropriety could lead to some serious legal issues for any man. Modt men know to cover their own backside, so be leary of men willing to be seen alone in your apartment with you, they are either foolish or up to no good.

Expect the entire neighborhood to know your business.  Your comings and goings are significant entertainment for many people,  if you have someone stop by for a visit, it is expected thwt you will need to offer tea ot juice. Make "small talk" before getting to business. Kissing on the cheek is exceptable between members of the same sex.

I hopevthings go well for you

Totally agree with the post above from Nebraskagirl....... Avoid at all costs looking like a tourist and try not to stand out too much when going out in souks and crowded places.  That applies less to safer places like malls where there is high level.of security etc.
I myself like to camouflage as I personally like loose clothes, a jellaba thrown into the mix and scarf. In local attire you will not attract as much attention. I often go to souks and other crowded places and I always make sure am suitably dressed. So far thank God no problems at all....
But I know of friends who had problems and they all were easily identifiable as tourists or Westeners from their clothing. Also don't carry that much cash on yourself just in case your purse disappears (it happened to a friend).
As for jobs, it will really depend on your skills and experience. Teaching english is in high demand in big cities. Working in call centers too.... I read from other posts that you have experience in teaching english. That's great!
Just so you know, most private schools in big cities such as Casablanca and Rabat include english classes even at primary level (an hour per week) so try your luck with all schools. I would send cover letter and CV en masse to a list of pivate schools (am not talking about American or english speaking schools but  bilingual arabic/french school, which are many in big cities such as Casablanca).There are ads for English teaching jobs and I would start from there. I am not sure about the level of demand in Fes though...
All the best with your adventure and happy to advise on any the topics above in greater detail if that helps.

stereotypes -_-