A question for aussies already living in italy

Hiya,

I have been to the Italian consulate in Perth, and I told them i wanted to obtain a visa to live and work in italy, however i think they mis understood me, because they gave me a Schengen Visa Application.
anyway, what i want to know is, when you submit your Visa application at the italian consulate, how long do you expect to receive your Visa??

I have been all over the net, and I cant find anything helpful, only that it says, one you receive your visa you have 3 months to enter the country, still does not say how long you have to wait to receive it though, please help :(

Hi Sara,

You could be waiting a long time,  even the Italians joke about their beaurocracy. I think you want the Working Holiday Visa down the bottom??   You may have already seen this web site but if not it might be helpful:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ … vice/italy

It says:
Entry and Exit Requirements

Visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) change regularly. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Italy for the most up-to-date information.

Italy is a party to the Schengen Convention, along with 24 other European countries, which allows Australians to enter Italy without a visa in some circumstances. See our travel bulletin on the Schengen Convention for more information.

Australians should ensure that a clearly legible entry stamp is placed in their passport when entering the Schengen area (including Italy) for the first time. This stamp will mark the start of the 90-day period during which Australians are permitted to stay within the Schengen area as tourists.

Whatever the purpose of your travel to Italy, if you are not staying in commercial accommodation or intend to stay for more than a few days, you may need a "Permit to Stay”. You should note that the requirement to obtain a "Permit to Stay" is separate from any visa obtained from the Italian Embassy or Consulates. Failure to obtain the permit may result in expulsion from Italy.

Working Holiday Visas
- If you are considering working in Italy under the Working Holiday Maker visa program, you should be aware of the potential for delays in the processing of mandatory residence and work permits after your arrival in Italy. In some cases, delays of up to several months have been reported. Travellers who experience difficulties in obtaining residence or work permits under the Working Holiday Maker visa program should advise the Australian Embassy in Rome as soon as possible. Please see the working holiday visa program information sheet on the Australian Embassy website.

Good Luck,

Rainman

If you like you could check out my friend who has just returned from Italy after 2 years....they have been through all the dramas necessary to live and work. she has an Italian husband but should know how to help you...message her on Facebook - Debbie Lee Cassadio and i'm sure she'd be happy to help.

Rainman and Skara, thanks so much for replying to my post :), you have both been very helpful :)