Buy a car in dar es salaam

Hello

I am not exactly an expat but i thought maybe someone here could provide me with some information. Next year in april me and my girlfriend and our little daughter will be working as a volunteer in Lilongwe, Malawi for 3 months. But as the airplane tickets from Belgium to Lilongwe are double the price of those to DAR we were thinking of flying to DAR and try to buy a car there for the time we are in Africa (early apr - end of july). Could anyone give me some advice on that? What is a reliable place to go and look for a car (preferably 4x4 one) in DAR? Our budget would be around 12-14000 TZS, and of course we would need to sell the car at the end of our time there. Does anyone have any experience in registering a car as a non-resident, and would it take us a long time to get that paperwork fixed?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Hans

There are many places you can buy a car but never for that much cant even buy a bike I suggest you rent instead of buying you wont be gurenteed to sell at the time you want

Remember that everything in Africa is "Pole Pole" very slow. Not everything runs as smoothly as it would in a place like America or Europe. Not trying to sound negative, just wanted to let you know that it might not be easy. Then again it may. Sometimes things run so smooth and sometimes things takes Forever. Sorry I know that may not be very helpful. :-)

Keep in mind the roads can be pretty bad in some places, and driving can be pretty dangerous in some areas, due to crazy traffic. And there are not a lot of places (hotels) to stay along the way.

My advice is just go ahead and spend the money on the plane tickets and safe yourself the risk, worry and hassle.

Be Safe,

Bonnie