Weekend trip from Guanajuato to Zacatecas

I'm going to be in Guanajuato for a couple of weeks next March (2016), and was planning on doing a few side trips while there. One is a weekend trip to Zacatecas (city) by bus.  I had a few questions about that and figured I'd ask here. I should add that this is my first trip to Mexico and that I am going with an eye to retire  there in a couple of years. Zacatecas I am just heading to for tourism though. . . well, at least at this point that is why I am going.

First of all, is Zacatecas worth seeing. It looks great from what I can see online (and I am really interested in the colonial thing), but then I know that even I can take photos of a place so as to erase all the blemishes and make a dull place look wonderful.

The other question was one that crops up often - safety. I guess I am curious as to whether I need to be paranoidly cautious or not, but even more about safety in getting to the city, particularly in regard to getting there by bus. That might sound odd, but the State Dept TAs tell employees to avoid the state outside the city of Zacatecas. Well, if you're driving or taking the bus, you can't get to one without going through the other, so. . ..

Well, I will leave it at that. Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

I lived in Zacatecas for 7 years.
I just recently moved for health reasons.
I wander through all parts of the city and never had a concern for my safety.

There's plenty to see and do.
La Bufa
The mask museum
The Centro Historico
La Quemada
The rest of the major museums and galleries.
Tripadvisor has excellent write ups for activities, restaurants and hotels.
If you want "Holiday Inn" style facilities, you're pretty much limited to the City Express and Fiesta Americana.
On a tight budget, Hostel Villa Colonial Cassot is not bad and you'll be with an international crowd.

Holy Week is absolutely the best time to go.  It's also the busiest time.
It's a carnival in the streets plus there is a wide range of concerts and performances in various locations around town.

The City is not a Disneyworld reproduction of a 16th Century city, it's got pores and pimples and some restorations are not quite "complete."  Nevertheless, all my friends who visited had great times.  The people are quite friendly and don't go overboard gouging tourists, most of whom are from other parts of Mexico.

Guanajuato and Zacatecas are different flavors of the same dish.  Mountain towns, restored 16th Century sites and significant sites of Independence or Revolution activities.

Thanks, Gudgrief.

Sounds like a good trip destination then, and from what I've seen in photos, it should be a nice contrast to Guanajuato, even though similar - "different flavors of the same dish," as you put it. As for lodging, yes, I am not really the Holiday Inn type. I like to stay somewhere with a bit more local flair, or at least somewhere that could just as well be in Modesto, CA, or Grand Rapids, MI, so I will check out the Pension Villa Colonial, as you suggested.

Sounds that I don't need to be excessively worried about safety then. I'll just stay city wise, like when in any big cities around the world. Is the bus trip out to Zacatecas anything to worry about, or is that looking for something to worry about?

By the way, given that you lived there for 7 years, and as I am considering Mexico for retirement, what do you think of Zacatecas in that regard? How are rents, etc?

Thanks again. I am off to TripAdvisor now as you suggested.

Zacatecas is indeed a great destination. When I was there a couple of years ago, several taxi drivers concurred that in and around the city there was no safety issue. But they cautioned not to head in the region west of the city, since this was a drug transport route and you might wind up at the wrong place at the wrong time. They said the same of the beautiful town of Jerez -- in it is fine, but outlying regions are dicey. I suggest you definitely go, and when there, ask if there are any issues. As other posters have said, there is so much to do in the city that your days will be full just there! Saludos.

Thanks, Broso, for the info and the tip. I'll definitely make the trip. It sounds great, and from what I find online, it looks it too. I didn't know anything about Jerez before, but after you mentioned it, I took a look, and that looks really interesting too. I won't be able to make it to Jerez this time out, but I will include it in my plans next time. Looks good (or per the ads that Zacatecas is running lately, sounds good!).

I ditto about Zacatecas - it is its own unique and special place, and indeed very interesting to see. I think the bus is safer than driving, especially in northern Mexico, although buses can be attacked too. I was in a bus going to the States from Zacatecas and one of the ladies I was sharing the ride with told me her friend has just phoned her and said that their bus out of Monterey had just been robbed by bandits! What to do? If it happens regularly, then avoid the place like the plague. But no one can be perfectly sure of being safe anywhere! The world news is showing us that!

Thanks Jean. From what I've heard and seen online, it sounds great. The getting there was the thing I was still left wondering about, so thanks on your points about that. I would be coming from Leon during the day, so hopefully that will be less of an issue than coming from further north.

At any rate, I will report back after my trip (March).

You are going for Easter? Cool! Reserve now! I stayed at a hostel but I had my own little apartment with a terrace. I found it online in the hostel list. They had parties but I was across the street in the apartment so I could go to the party - I tried one that was really trendy, and very crowded! - or leave it. It was a bit warm for my taste - the terrace heated up - but I had elementary cooking facilities (which I prefer) and I dont recall any major horrors; such places are always funky but reasonably priced. It was central and I had a great view on the city and a church. Google for hostels and hotels and maybe even try airbnb. And book! I think you will enjoy the visit. The locals at the hostel or hotel can tell you about the no go neighborhoods. Otherwise you will be fine. In the Easter crowds be careful of pickpockets, like everywhere. Sounds great!

Ah, actually, a couple of weeks before easter. I am planning on the weekend before Palm Sunday, so the weekend before their festival begins. Good and bad to that, I guess. I will check out the hostels in town. Thanks!

There is a hostel on Tacuba in the block just before the cathedral, one on Aguascalientes, the street that runs to the right off Tacuba just before the last block and one on Primero de Mayo that is owned by a friend but I don't know how it is now.  I stayed there for a couple of weeks in 2008 and rented an "apartment" there for a year.  It was economical, all utilities included with cable.

hostelworld[dot]com is one site that you can reserve on line.

I stayed in hostal casot a couple of weeks ago,Its on primero de mayo behind the cathedral.I would recomend it,$100 for a dorm or $340 for a private room.it can be noisy at night with marching brass bands but in México earplugs are a mans best friend.Enjoy Zacatecas

Thanks Gudgrief and SB for the hotel info. I looked up Hotal Villa Casot, but I came up with the Hostal Villa Colonia in the results. Are they the same place?

Yes, they are the same place.  Hostal Villa Colonial was bought by Luis Felipe Cassot.  He added his surname to the name of the hostel.

Ah. Thank you.

For Easter I would seriously recommend some place off the main drag! as far off as possible even! :)

Unless your a drinker,a Mexican catholic or both you need to watch the time of year you choose to visit Zacatecas it would seem.Right now we have the "Guadalupe"thing going on,ive booked it to Durango till Christmas.

Holy Week itself is a madhouse and nothing holy about it.  Guadalupe, I don't remember being a downer but there's not much cultural or carnival to attract non religious tourists.

Guadalupe celebrations can be fantastic. One year I was in San Cristobal, it was spectacular. Another  year I was in Colima, it was really beautiful, everyone in red and green, very festive, processions with a heavily armed Army vehicle every few  groups! If you have not grasped the importance of Guadalupe to the Mexican soul,  you have understood nothing of the culture. Easter Week can be superb too, with all the processions and fiestas. I would just recommend being away from a main drag, it would be very noisy - at all hours....

i understand completely the place of "Guadalupe" in Mexican culture,I just dont agree with it,nor like it.The same can be said for what happens at Easter.But i can certainly see how it may seem like a nice spectle to some visitors.

I would love to witness one of the great festivals, but on this trip I will be skirting most of them, best i can tell. Besides, for a first time visit, I'd like to be able to see the city as it normally is. I will actually be flying back home from Leon on the day after Palm Sunday, and I'll most likely be in Guanajuato on that day.

Let me know if I can help you in any way while your in town,Its a great little city with lovely people,Im sure you will enjoy it.

There will surely be some kind of Palm Sunday procession or processions, ask around....Palm Sunday is very important....

Thank you. I am looking forward to it. Do you live there?

Are you asking stinkyboy - what a moniker! :) - or me? No I do not, I am simply a culture hound and a passionate lover of processions, so I have experienced a lot, both in Latin America and elsewhere. Seek and you shall find....

Yes, I was asking "SB" :)

Yes, I will try to catch a procession for Palm Sunday then. That should be nice.  Guanajuato seems filled with churches or size, so I am sure there will be something big going on at at least one of them.

Hi Nik,Yes,I live in the town center.I prob do need to change the stage name,i gave it to myself whilst living in Coatzacoalcos where often times We went without running water..Glad to say no such problems in lovely Zacatecas

Just thought I'd mention it, since we were talking about the festival, and it turns out I will be in Zacatecas for a couple of days at the very beginning of the festival, leaving on the Palm Sunday afternoon. So for better or worse (and maybe a bit of both), I'll be there for some of it. Looking forward to it actually. Only to been to city in the midst of a festival once, and that was Quebec City's medieval festival, which is not exactly a raucous affair. lol

I will let you know how it goes when I am back. Thank you all for the input.

Palm Sunday will be beautiful, you will not regret being there! I PLAN for such occasions!

As my trip is now only a month away, I have been doing some planning. One thing I was wondering was if anyone had done the Eden mine tour and the teleferico to la Bufa? If so do you think both are worth the time and how much time would doing both take. Well, maybe a better way of putting that would be: how long does the mine tour take and then getting across by teleferico (i assume how much time it takes after that depends on me)?

Appreciate your help.

I cant help you with the tour information but I can advise you to wrap up.I was in Zacatecas this Monday and it was below freezing.

Yikes!! Hope it warms up at least at tad by the time i get there. I actually leave in one month, so hopefully it will warm up by then. I was thinking of just taking a fleece. You think that will be enough in March?

Strange weather everywhere it seems, as gudgrief reported on another thread. Unusual heat here in Colombia, and drought. Some villages are without water. But in Veracruz it is the opposite, cold and rainy, weird. Yes, take warm clothes - the dry desert air has a real chill factor. Let us know how it goes. Might be warmer down in the mine, anyway! I am sure you can ask when you are there about how long it takes. Good luck!

A fleece jacket? Surely enough, with a good hat. It should be warmer in a month, too. That means March, it will be fine. Maybe you wont need the fleece, check the temps before packing.

I locals told me Jan was the coldest month so hopefuly it wont be as bad when you arrive.Remember when Its cold outside Its cold inside also.There was no heating in the hostal or any of the midrange hotels i stayed at.So pack accordingly.

Jean,you had mentioned Morelia,Im here at the moment.Thanks for the tip,very impressed indeed with this place

Ah, Morelia. That is on a future list. Good to hear the positive reactions.

Look on yahoo groups for Michoacan, there is a great forum with lots of people, info, ways of meeting other gringos, events, etc. I assume you have been to Patzcuaro? Just lovely, I might consider settling there but the cold and damp are a bit much for me. Glad you like Morelia, hope you find the right place for you!

Hello all, again. I leave this Friday for my Mexico visit to Mex City, Guanajuato and Zacatecas. A couple of things I wanted to ask:

1. Is it a good idea to bring dollars with me to exchange there or shoudl I stick with ATMs while there?
2. As for ATMs, while in Japan only some ATMS (mostly those at big hotels) worked with foreign debit cards. In Bosnia and Serbia they all did. How about in Mexico?
3. What shiould I expect for weather right now and for a couple of weeks hence (in MexCity, Guanajuato and Zacatecas)? Will a fleece and maybe a light jacket be enough in case of need (or cold bus ;) )?

Well, thanks. I am packing as we speak.

1. & 2, - US debit cards should work in any ATM.  You'll get a better rate than from a money exchange.  Check with your bank to see if they have an arrangement with a Mexican bank that saves you foreign ATM Fees.  Even though you'll pay a 3% international transaction fee, it's still less than a money exchange.

3. I'd suggest using www.wunderground.com to get the forecast for those cities.  Likely to be short sleeve during the day, lined jacket at night.  Long sleeve and a jacket should be at hand on the bus.  Some of them get frigid, especially on cloudy days and at night.

Enjoy!

Yes, use ATMs, just inform your bank you will be in Mexico. Evenings can be chilly, bring a couple of sweaters, a light jacket. But March will be warming up. I am in rainy Ecuador and envying you! Yes again, your coldest experience might be on the bus! Sometimes I have enjoyed second class buses more for that reason - the windows open too. The AC stinks too! Hope all goes well.