Vets in and around Geneva

Vets in Switzerland can be expensive and especially those that advertise in English. That said, be warned as some of the English speaking vets are both expensive and of poor quality.

I recently took my cat to an emergency service in Mies (Moderated)

and was charged Sfr 250 just for the appointment and then on top of that an additional Sfr 200 for what turned out to be very poor examination. In addition, I had to take my cat to another vet due to the fact that the vet in question had misdiagnosed the issue.

This was my mistake as there are many good vets but just so you know, don't be caught off by the promise of English language as you will get far better care and prices from the local vets even if you don't speak French.

As to the(Moderated: Kindly use private messaging Please, Thanks). It's a ripp off and from what I saw he doesn't seem to know what he is doing. Would be happy to give you the name of good vets if you are in need. :mad:

I believe the post above likely refers to Dr. Omaboe, whose emergency "service" is just his private number (rather than the actual cantonal emergency service, which vets rotate duty on).  I echo that he, and likely some other English-speaking vets, take advantage of expats and charge insane fees.  I would ask that the moderators please leave his name in this thread, as his excessive advertising lures in a lot of unknowing people who deserve fair warning. 

And I speak from personal experience; he told me that my pets were in "terrible pain," which was simply not true, and quoted me prices that I later found out were several times what another vet should/would charge.  I would advise anyone to seek another vet.  Even if language is an issue, there are plenty of other, ethical, English speaking vets out there.

I think we are all talking about the vet in Mies. I too had a resent bad experience with him. I took my dog there and I told him I suspected a bladder infection as he was a little lame and feverish ect. He touched the dog a little at the back and said I should watch him for a week. Going back he only asked qeustions and gave me 3 weeks antibiotic. My dog just got worst and eveturally I took him to another vet in Nyon and it turned out he had tick fever! This they discovered on the first visit with blood tests, and I got the results the same day.

My dog almost died. The price of a visit to Mies was 144 and the new vet 60chf. This is really taking advantage of the expat comunity.

@Roma65 if you know a good vet over the border in France that can issue a dog resident in uk with a pets passport I'd be very interested.

@dainoakgreatdanes Hello and welcome !

Please note that this member posted a long time ago (2010) she hasn't been active since.

I suggest you follow your other thread : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1040253

Regards

Bhavna