Steps that I need to take to retire in Bali? visa requirements

Thank you. Very helpful information. What about fresh vegetables from the supermarket? I'm vegetarian. I think someone mentioned organic vegan restaurants. Are those pretty good? Theda

Yes the fresh vegetables and fruit in supermarkets are fine. In Bali we used to buy from the Matahari Supermarket or Hero and have never had a problem. My pembantu would also buy vegetables from the market and they were also fine. Of course wash everything well before cooking or eating.

Sorry I don't have any experience or advice to give on vegan or organic vegan restaurants.

tbara wrote:

Thank you. Very helpful information. What about fresh vegetables from the supermarket? I'm vegetarian. I think someone mentioned organic vegan restaurants. Are those pretty good? Theda

Veg from supermarkets is fine, but you can often buy a lot cheaper from street sellers or local markets.
The traditional markets are commonly less than clean, but the modern markets are generally much better, and have a very wide range to choose from.
You'll find a lot of people wandering the street every morning with a nice variety of veg on their push carts. These also tend to be very cheap, but generally slightly more than market prices.

Organic is pretty much the norm here, but not always from supermarkets.
Vegetarian is easy as so many Indonesians are vegetarian through lack of cash.
You'll also find an excellent product known as 'tempe' (pro - tempay). It's a fermented product that is high in all the good stuff your body needs, but has none of the bad stuff associated with meat.
It can be prepared in a wide variety of delicious ways - I eat if often.
Martabak is another 'must try' vegetarian product - lovely.
You'll find that in post 12 here
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 42#3273554

There is a massive variety of easily available vegetarian food available in Indonesia.

@tbara asked:

“What about fresh vegetables from the supermarket?”

Assuming we are still talking about Bali, I agree with Hansson's comments relating to supermarkets as a good and reliable source.

However, if you're budget minded, and rather buy closest to the source, there are markets all over Bali where farmers bring their fresh produce to sell on a daily basis.  The only draw back is that these markets open even before the sun has risen, and they close by around 9 AM when it's time for the handicraft and souvenir shops to open.

From person experience of stomach bugs and typhus water will be a concern more than food. Generally all food and drinks in tourist spots on Bali are good, quality aside as they cater and compete for visitors and with Australia making it their number one holiday spot, food poisoning is not something  a restaurant needs to have a problem with.
However it happens. Bad water, cheap ice, poor hygiene bad moods hurried chefs add to the problem. Street food whilst delicious needs to be taken slowly and not rushed.
There are many excellent local restaurants for all tastes so you need to choose. But if you don't eat spicy food at home don't here. If you are not used to exotic fruit juice then slow down on the mango. If you like ice cream don't buy it from the man on the beach. Don't drink the water from the tap bit it's OK for cleaning teeth.
As for vaccinations, the advice by governments is there to highlight the risks and you should consider them. Yellow fever no. Hepatitis yes. Rabies yes. Malaria tablets up to you but good creams and routines are better than a long course of pills. It really depends how long you are in Asia for. If you are travelling through Asia then get the jabs as they are useful. Take good malaria pills and bring strong sun cream.
More importantly bring your excited self which is far more useful.
As a traveller you are in my opinion safe in Bali if you do behave like you would when out at home. Bali and Bangkok are as safe as you make it. I have been to both often, in the wrong place (probably) at the darkest of hours, alone and seemed to be OK in the morning. And despite that I still feel safer than I would in my home town at 11pm.

Worry about too much blue skies, good beaches, nice surf, friendly smiles and have to go home more than getting sick and eating bad food. It's a better way to go.

In my days now long gone, working with some businesses to engage with China after Richard Nixon opened the doors, there was an old adage...

"If you can't peel it, and if it hasn't been cooked to death...don't eat it."

Water is the most common source of the bacteria which will cause "Bali belly" or "Montezooma's Revenge" or whatever you want to call what simply boils down (no pun intended) to traveler's diareah. 

And, as the name "traveler's diareah" suggests, this is commonplace whenever someone travels to areas they are not accustomed.   

Locals and long term expats are rarely effected by this sort of thing...their gut being used to these bacteria.

Thank you, Hansson.

Yes, I checked out the CDC site. The seven or eight vaccinations seem a little much.

Thank you, Fred. Very helpful.

This sounds like very sound advice. Thank you. Very helpful.

Very interesting. Thank you.

Great! Thank you.

:offtopic: ......

:offtopic::dumbom:

What do you guys think about buying property in Bali?
Owning is not legal for non citizens.

What about a long lease type of property - e.g 20 yrs with affordable price , would that be an options ? to answer both your accommodation needs with friendly price, good facilities and could even be more benefits in the future to generate cash flow.

Any preferable locations? e.g. near beach, near city, or near mountain

The Ambengan Tenten - Service apartment try to market it for expats.

Ambengan Tenten wrote:

What do you guys think about buying property in Bali?
Owning is not legal for non citizens..

Easy, it's illegal so you could lose all your cash.
Don't do it.

Roy, what about an agent in the Bandung area, you know of any reputable agents?

Hansson is the right guy to ask that question.  He lives there and should be able to make recommendations. 

Cheers!

I am looking for Hansson for advice re MM2H Malaysia verses Indonesia

Malaysia has its retirement program set up very nicely, but Indonesia is still exploring possibilities and just opening up to the idea.
Much as the tools have been in place for some while, they've never been used or much advertised and there seems to have been resistance to the idea, but that's changing rapidly.

Malaysia is an easier place as so much of the population speaks English and western products are more easily available, but Indonesia is far cheaper.
My preference, as evidenced by my long term stay here, is Indonesia as I find it an extremely interesting place, but it's very much down to your personal situation and choices.

Anyone have a contact for Hanson.  I was speaking with him by mail box on here and I told him I'd write in January but now I can't find him on here.  Anyone know how to contact him?

Most govt sites will promote Immunization for two reasons:
1.) Its safer and more responsible advice to error on the side of caution.
2.) Its better to sell you expensive drugs and charge tax on them ontop of the allready inflated price.

I went to the immigration office in downtown Jakarta last week to hear directly what I need to apply for a long term visa.  I hear in various place a guarantor is needed or not needed and so on.  I was told a guarantor is needed and was given a list with about 165 guarantors authorized by the government.  Finally got that cleared up.

Retirement visa.

These are done through a travel agent, and must be collected from outside Indonesia, although there's nothing stopping you applying whilst you're in the country on a tourist visa.

INCOMPLETE LIST - MORE TO COME

You need to be a minimum age of 55 at the time of application.

Application form and guarantee from sponsor (An approved travel agent)
Copy of Business License (SIUP) of the sponsoring travel agent.
Copy of Taxpayer Identification Number of the sponsoring travel agent.

Statement of pension funds or Bank statement from the country of origin showing a minimal income of $ 2,500 per month
Health, death, and third party liability insurance.
Photocopy of marriage certificate (If applicable)
Colour photocopy of passport.
(The passport must be valid for at least 18 months)
Statement letter to show the rent of accommodation
Statement you will hire a local maid

I never finished the post as the plan for my mother to stay here didn't happen.
If anyone has the rest, it would be nice if they could post here.