Advice asked: Dutch landlord causes problems with rental contract

An expat friend of mine has signed a new rental lease for a house under a legal standard expatcontract.

So far so good.

Now she finds out that the landlord doesn't want to move out of this address on paper. (the landlord lives in reality somewhere else). This can cause tax problems for my expat friend. Also she rents the whole house and pay the sufficient amount accordingly. She definitely do not want a second person on paper on this address. This was not beforehand agreed.

What now?

Any advice/experiences welcome!

I suspect the landlord is trying to avoid paying the tax on the income he's getting from the lease.

Not sure what she can do about it though without pissing him off.  Assuming she can find somewhere else, has she considered moving?

We are being told that the landlord has no any legal point to defend his case. My friend has an iron clad agreement. But the fact that the landlord is clearly trying to stay in the favorable tax position for him is quite nasty and very unfair. She would never ever rented this place with this on her back. Also I have understood this is a quite unusual move from a landlord perspective. The Dutch expat rental agencys are very clear about this. Anyway, thanks for your comment :idontagree:

Can't really comment on the expat rental market, never had to use them, we have always got our houses via the Housing Associations (our daughter got one from them within a week of moving back to Holland); maybe it makes a difference that my wife is Dutch.

I don't have experience with an expat contract (only that I've heard they rip off expats!) but I know that many, many times when you rent from someone, they want to stay registered at their address and will not allow you to register there. Sorry, I know that doesn't exactly help but I also know that it's common practice.