Expat lawyer in KL - average salary for 10 yrs experience?

Hello, I am a lawyer with 10 years experience working as Inhouse counsel with an MNC in Delhi, India. My company is offering me a role to assist the Legal Head of South East Asia at our KL head office for SE Asia.

Can someone please guide me as to what is the average salary for an expat lawyer in KL with 10 years PQE in corporate law? Thanks

Hello vippy and welcome to Expat.com

While waiting for members to advise, I invite you to browse through threads talking about living expenses and Salary packages in our Cost of Living in Kuala Lumpur section of the forum.

Best Regards
Kenjee

Hi impossibe to say as expat lawyers in kl are rarer than hens teeth. Foreign lawyers cant practice here and most companies dont "waste" work permits on lawyers as hard to get. Lawyers are seen as a pure cost not a profit centre unlike say an engineer or a manager. Seen that in quite a few companies as legal work done back home or by short term transfers as consultants. So i only ever meet transitory lawyers not paid locally. Must be some around of course. A few i met were on 6 month contracts only to start up a business.

So my advice is highest of double your Indian salary or 10k plus 2k for a wife and 5k per school age kid. So wife and 2 kids equals 22k RM. Prob lower than your salary anyway as a senior lawyer

Thanks Kenjee

I'll not be a practicing lawyer. I am an in house counsel who lead the legal function of our businesses. So you think a 22k per month salary is going to be sufficient for me to live a decent life and save too? Is there a website or reference I can check?

Hi thats what i meant. In house lawyer. Very unusual to get a job like that!

22k. Is min I reckon. On another forum we have people asking if their 16k (sixteen) rm per month housing allowance is enough.

Thanks Nemodot

Just read about a person moving from UK and being offered a salary of 44k a month inclusive of everything. I assume the amount of 22k you mentioned is exclusive of car, medical, taxes and EPF, correct? All these need to come extra from my company.