Wireless Internet & Cell Phone in Senegal

Hello everyone,

I will be in Senegal for about one month and would like to bring my laptop along.  Is there wireless internet in Dakar?  I will actually be staying in Golf.  If so, how does it work?

Also, I will be back and forth between Senegal and Guinea.  Is there a cell phone that I can purchase that will work in both countries?  If so how much should I expect to spend on the phone itself?

Thanks.

Hi Trina,

No problem on laptops or cell phones.  There are many cyber cafes with internet connection.

You can buy a phone that has a double space for SIM cards.  I believe you can put the senegal number on one and the other the guinean number.  You then buy a "card" in different monetary denominations and add to that number. 

Regards,

Regina

Hi there Trina. Unlike how it is in the US, in most countries of the world cell phones are bought on their own and can be used with any service provider. As a matter of fact in most countries service providers don't offer service on a contract basis to begin with (let alone provide you with a locked phone at a discount/for free as part of the contract).

Basically, in most third world countries the only system you will find is prepaid. How it works is you buy your phone, then buy something called a SIM card from the service provider. This is a tiny piece of plastic with a chip inside that fits in a slot in your phone (usually the slot is under the battery). You then go and buy yourself some credit.
You go to a supermarket or someplace (you can buy it almost anywhere) and ask for phone credit, and after handing over the money you get this card with a silver stripe on it which you then scratch off to get a code underneath. Based on the instructions on the card you call a certain number and input the code you got, and whatever amount of minutes the card is worth gets deposited in your account. Whenever you make a call, text, etc. you lose balance, until finally it falls to nothing and you need to buy another (or many) minutes cards and add more balance to your account.

If you're going to be going back and forth between two different countries then all you need to do is visit the cellular providers in both countries and buy a SIM card from each. Whenever you're going from one country to the other all you need to do is turn off your phone and swap out the SIM cards.

As to how much phones cost, they aren't too expensive. Prices range from around 40-60 dollars for a basic Nokia with a black and white display (depending on the country - I have no idea about prices in Senegal), to 150-200 for a decent 3G smartphone with a 2 MP camera, to 300-700 dollars for the high end Nokia models. You can also find Samsung and LG phones but they suck. Nokia phones are not only better feature-wise but they are very tough. My phone has survived multiple drops of up to five feet without anything happening to it.

Thanks Big Tuna.

I actually tried to do this whole phone thing the last time I was in Senegal and Guinea.  I purchased a phone in Dakar but was unable to use it at all in Guinea.  I was not able to use a SIMM card from Guinea on the phone.  I was trying to avoid having that happen again.

Hmmm. Well to the best of my knowledge that simply should not happen at all. Did you try popping the SIM card in another phone (like one from Guinea) and seeing if it would work? Cause as far as I know the only reason would be a problem with the SIM card. Either it was defective or blank when you first got it or it got erased by being put next to a magnet.

I actually didn't do anything myself.  All of my "helpful" male in-laws handled it.  Maybe I will take care of my cell phone needs myself since I have a better idea of how things work.

Haha well good luck. By the way, about the wireless internet... I'm pretty sure you won't be able to find that in either country. IF the cellular network is 3G then there will probably internet access offered by the cellular company, so you can hook your phone up to the laptop and use the internet through the phone.
The prices will be by the megabyte, and likely too expensive.

I'd look into getting DSL at where you'll be staying, or just taking your laptop to an internet cafe and having them hook it up for you.

One of the interesting things about the internet here in Libya is that the country went straight from primitive early 2000s DSL (only available to rich people and at internet cafes, where it was made even slower by the number of people sharing the connection) to wimax. The main reason the telecom company here deployed wimax is that DSL works over phone lines, which is something that very few houses have.
So I don't know, but there's a tiny chance you might find wimax available.

my fiance in Dakar suburb is paying 300 euros a month for her internetconnection...it sounds very expensive! Isnt there less costly alternatives?

Yes you will find what you need ! Not everywhere but you will get there

anyone knows how to access not so costly internetconnection in Dakar. i pay for wife s connection, 300 euros a month...its too f****ng much!!!

Mr Blunder,

May be you need to ask your wife, who is her internet provider and is she really being honest with you about this cost. Do you actually mean 30Euros. I can honestly tell you £300 can be monthly salary of someone with a decent salary in Senegal.

For Trina,

you better of with a sim free phone. These are phones which can be use with any service provider. Ask your current provider to unlock your phone legally(jailbreak) the phone you are using now if it is a decent phone. You can also get a chinese two sim phone for the two numbers you will get from Senegal and Guinea.You will get connection to each network as you enter that country.

My fiance lives in Dakar, Senegal. For many months I have been begging her to go to a cybercafe so that we can communicate by Skype. However she tells me that there are no cybercafes that have computers with web cams and she doesn't know anyone who has an internet computer connection with a web cam. Please could you help us. Please therefore can you advise of the address and contact details of a cybercafe in Dakar where this can be arranged. My fiance lives in the Medina district of Dakar, so I would appreciate if you could find a suitable cybercafe close to her house. Many thanks in advance.

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the phone blocker has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best mobile phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced bluetooth jammer has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the jammer product.

Hello MaiBucon and welcome on board :)

For info this thread is over 6months old, but thanks for this piece of information it may be useful to other members seeking these infos ;)

Also do not hesitate to create a new thread if you have other queries or infos de share with our fellow expat members.

Regards

Kenjee

Hello ,

I am looking for reliable 10 Mbps internet connection for my new office in Dakar . pl suggest reliable  and economical service provider names / their websites .

regards