Wal-Mart coming to Vietnam!!!!

Heard news that Wal-Mart is planning on invading Vietnam. What a sad day. Sure hope it does not happen in a country that is so dependent on mom and pop shops.

These mom and pops can not compete with the likes of Wal-Mart and many major chains can't either. This is a ruthless money hungry, at anyones expense, company. Sure hope Vietnam puts a stop to them coming.

When I lived in Mexico where they had already invaded they were in the process of opening a new store.

after hiring the employees and just before opening day they told the employees how they would get paid.

80 percent would be in store credit, and 20 percent in cash.

Demonstrates just how worthless a company they are.

More competition, Why not. Here in Vungtau we had a new Metro 4/5 years ago. Was all right as there was nothing else 4/5 years ago for a down graded Coop. A bit out off town, but ok. Cheese, boursin, local butter and many things for expats. no problem, but it got worse and worse and they never re-order. Now we have a new Lotto in Vungtau. Big time improvement and way closer. Everything there, fresh, except the french cheese, local butter by the kg ect. But it is way better than with Metro. Bring them in, and Coop has to really improve. No bring them in.
Waiting for Ikea.

Where can i get a Good african haircut in hoi chi minh city??

Notat Wal-Mart! This subject is about Wal-Mart, not haircuts.

Love Walmart. Time to up my stocks.

Yeah I bet you have seen some great growth in your stock price in that slow moving dead horse.

Vagabondone, what is your source of this news? Wal-mart is in Vietnam now, but only in the shape of a sourcing office, they buy Vietnam's products for their stores:
tuoitrenews.vn/business/16811/walmart-to-promote-vietnamese-goods

I am a pretty good googler, can't find the news.

you know perhaps instead of explanation points in my subject line I should have put question marks. The reason I say that my wife (Vietnamese) told me this.Frankly I never checked it out myself. Well for all my Vietnamese friends I hope it is not true.

Let me  check with the commander and find out her source of this info. Sorry

My wife saw a story on the news in HCM that they were coming to VN

I hope not.

I come here to get away from all the super stores the fast foods outlets and all the crap that goes with it. I'm disjointed that Vietnamese is going down that road. We have 3 super stores already in Nha Trang that's sprung up in the last two years and another is being built right now. Along with KFC s Pizza hut and a new Burger King is on its way. It's going to end up like anyother city in the world and lose its identity . What a great shame.

OT but there is one big box store I miss. A Home Depot/Lowes DIY hardware store with quality hardware, tools, building supplies, wood, shelving, paint, gardening, where you can return excess, you can browse and handle everything, all alone. All under one roof! In Saigon, I am just starting to locate some things, but you have to find just the right specialty street, then shop after shop, if there is any room to move, rummage around in the dark, new stuff mixed up with used. Just think of all the words you know in English related to hardware, that you need to translate to Vietnamese. Yeah I miss my tools and building things.

ThaoBrewster wrote:

I come here to get away from all the super stores the fast foods outlets and all the crap that goes with it. I'm disjointed that Vietnamese is going down that road. We have 3 super stores already in Nha Trang that's sprung up in the last two years and another is being built right now. Along with KFC s Pizza hut and a new Burger King is on its way. It's going to end up like anyother city in the world and lose its identity . What a great shame.

I don't get why people like you are up in arms against corporate expansion. It might be a good thing as I find a lot of things not available in local mom and pop shops. At least with Walmart you could complaint and bitch about them on Facebook. Can you do that to Mr. Phuc here in your neighborhood? Or does he even care if he sold you some crappy ass hammer or light bulb that has been sitting in his shop for several years? Case and point, I went to a local sunglasses shop and check out their merchandise. What I saw was a bunch of old pairs of sunglasses that have nicks and scratches on them. I asked for a newer selection and he told me he just got them last week. So, there you have it. This is why I think it is a good thing for Walmart to set up shop here. This is globalization and VN might as well get ready for WM domination.

Because you can go to any city in the western world and they all have these multinational company's . they all look the same. I want Vietnam to hang on to its  independency and unique culture. Don't give it up. I would rather go to the market everyday and buy my foods from home grown farmers that is full of taste, instead of going to some super store once a week and buying tasteless frozen food and other produce that is Purely grown for profit. You can keep all your super stores multinational companies. I've seen what a terrible thing that has happened to the UK with a McDonald's on every Corner and a Burger King on the other and fast food joints coming out of your ears. The obesity and the health problems that it has caused, and who do we have to thank for all that America ,,, cheers

gobot wrote:

OT but there is one big box store I miss. A Home Depot/Lowes DIY hardware store with quality hardware, tools, building supplies, wood, shelving, paint, gardening, where you can return excess, you can browse and handle everything, all alone. All under one roof! In Saigon, I am just starting to locate some things, but you have to find just the right specialty street, then shop after shop, if there is any room to move, rummage around in the dark, new stuff mixed up with used. Just think of all the words you know in English related to hardware, that you need to translate to Vietnamese. Yeah I miss my tools and building things.

All men have got tool boxes, but very rarely use the tools. It's just to show off to other guys , look at my tools, mines is bigger than yours. It also feels good when someone wants to borrow a tool and you can say , yep I've got one of those. It's just an ego trip you don't have to have a super store to buy a few tools.

PhucDatBiet wrote:

Case and point, I went to a local sunglasses shop and check out their merchandise. What I saw was a bunch of old pairs of sunglasses that have nicks and scratches on them. I asked for a newer selection and he told me he just got them last week. So, there you have it.

What such a "demonstration" is supposed to prove ???  No one forced you to enter that crappy shop and you were not forced to buy anything , right ? Your mistake mate ! You just made the wrong choice by picking that shop instead of another one among those hundreds of high end sunglasses shop plus thousands of regular, clean and decent local glasses shop that you can find in HCMC. What you need is probably , not sunglasses but prescription glasses. cheers.

Just an FYI for you. Some men actually do use their tools, so please don't group us into the "all men" category. Thank You.
Sincerely,

P.S. Home Depot would be awesome :idontagree:

I was just looking for a handyman with their own tools to pop around and do a few jobs for me. If your interested you've got the job.. 😛

ThaoBrewster wrote:

Because you can go to any city in the western world and they all have these multinational company's . they all look the same. I want Vietnam to hang on to its  independency and unique culture. Don't give it up. I would rather go to the market everyday and buy my foods from home grown farmers that is full of taste, instead of going to some super store once a week and buying tasteless frozen food and other produce that is Purely grown for profit. You can keep all your super stores multinational companies. I've seen what a terrible thing that has happened to the UK with a McDonald's on every Corner and a Burger King on the other and fast food joints coming out of your ears. The obesity and the health problems that it has caused, and who do we have to thank for all that America ,,, cheers

No one is stopping you from going and buying food from farmers. Some people would rather go to one stop shop and get everything they need and go back home. Theres nothing terrible with companies coming in boosting the economy in Vietnam. Why deprive people of a pizza or a burger. I'm not sure if your keeping up with whats going on in Vietnam but the youth movement is real and strong. Embrace it !

Ảe you kidding me brov. Burgers KFC and all your fast foods are the reason there's a massive problem of Obisity and I'll health in the western world. I like the Vietnamese I don't want to kill em. Keep all your fast food outlets in the States don't bring them ver here. I've seen what it's done to the youth movement and every other movement you can think off in the UK . Embrace it only if you want to die young. As for keeping up with what's going on in Vietnam kid, I've been coming here when you was still in nappys.

ThaoBrewster wrote:

Ảe you kidding me brov. Burgers KFC and all your fast foods are the reason there's a massive problem of Obisity and I'll health in the western world. I like the Vietnamese I don't want to kill em. Keep all your fast food outlets in the States don't bring them ver here. I've seen what it's done to the youth movement and every other movement you can think off in the UK . Embrace it only if you want to die young. As for keeping up with what's going on in Vietnam kid, I've been coming here when you was still in nappys.

It's too bad your voice doesn't mean much to corporations like Walmart. Just like people who boycotting the war on oil . They usually be the first to go when shit hits the fan.

12xu wrote:
PhucDatBiet wrote:

Case and point, I went to a local sunglasses shop and check out their merchandise. What I saw was a bunch of old pairs of sunglasses that have nicks and scratches on them. I asked for a newer selection and he told me he just got them last week. So, there you have it.

What such a "demonstration" is supposed to prove ???  No one forced you to enter that crappy shop and you were not forced to buy anything , right ? Your mistake mate ! You just made the wrong choice by picking that shop instead of another one among those hundreds of high end sunglasses shop plus thousands of regular, clean and decent local glasses shop that you can find in HCMC. What you need is probably , not sunglasses but prescription glasses. cheers.

What's your problem buddy? Do I know you personally? How do you know I need glasses? Maybe you need a head check.

ThaoBrewster.
   If somebody else has a different opinion, why get upset. You can go to the local market and get what you want.    They like KFC, and other hamburger joints and Wallmart. Up to them. Happy to hear you have many tools. Make sure you don't have them borrowed for 5 years and lost. Nicked, I thing  in English. 
Copy and paste:    Ảe you kidding me brov.  I've been coming here when you was still in nappys.
You must be aged like good cheese.
Before you wright something or want to make a comment. Get the alcohol and the joint you have been smoking out off you body please. Respect.
Regards Ron.

Do we have some smoked up people here?
Gents, get real. This is a site to inform and help people. Not to burn them down. It started as info and he gave his opinion. That's all. We all think different.
Regards Ron.

You would know all about cheese and joints Ron. So don't worry yourself I'm on here to listen to everyone's opinion. I don't smoke or drink so chill out.

andy1npl wrote:

Why deprive people of a pizza or a burger.

you mean , why deprive people of a shtty so-called pizza  at Pizza Hut or a crappy greasy oversalty and oversweetened burger or chicken nugget at Mc D /KFC ? and by the way, what do you mean by saying that "the youth movement is real and strong" ? do you mean that they are stupid enough to believe that every single thing that comes from the USA is a gift of God ? Ask young vietnamese concerned about environmental issues (this movement is growing) what they think about Monsanto coming back to business to VN (now they will be selling GMO crops & seeds, , chemical pesticides and fertilizers to earn money by destroying soils in a more civilian way instead of providing Agent Orange that the US Army has spread massively in order to destroy soils and forest during the american war) - by the way , people still die of its consequences (poisonned soils and water) in this country.

ThaoBrewster.
I am aged and living down here for over 14 close to 15 years. Do love aged cheese, Dutch, French, Italian, (bit salty), ect. Also air dried capicola/pancettam smoked ham ect. Love to make them. I don't need your tools by the way.
Regards Ron.

Moderator please close this thread. Wal-mart news was hijacked by:

- haircuts ?
- corporation haters
- tool stores (yeah my fault)
- tool box haters, or man haters, not sure which
- KFC, Burger King, McDonalds haters
- America haters
- and now of course, don't forget "the war" and agent orange ...

I agree Gobot.
Regards Ron

Walmart is coming, what are we all supposed to say wooopii , God Bless America. I thought this was a discussion group not a news reel. Personaly I'm dead against it, if you don't want to discuss it Gobot then that's fine with me. Also I'm against Macky D , KFC, Burger King, and all the rest of your American crap food that you have replenished on the rest of the world. Why,, because it's no good, obesity has become the biggest killer in the world. It's full of salt, sugar, and fats. Just take a look at your own population. Multinational companies such as Walmart will distroy the local businesses. Shop holders will go bankrupt, market vendors will suffer, and farmers will be made to sell their goods at rock bottom prices. how the hell is this going to be any good for the Vietnamese people. I've seen it
happen in the UK . Multinational companies are in  business to help themselves, and couldent give a dam about anyone else. We have seven major grossers in the UK serving 60 million people, the food is tasteless crap and not cheap. That is just my opinion by the way, I'm happy to listen to anyone else's .  Ron I DIDENT know my tools was on offer, so I'm glad you don't need them. Stay away from the Jamacan woodbines it gives you the munches and you eat a lot of cheese, so I'm told.

expats love to debate about everything...... monkey see monkey do.

The more Viet Nam looks like the west then less people will want to visit. And yet the Vietnamese government can't understand why tourism is down.

Is tourism down?
I am concerned for the locals who sell what they make or grow in the markets...

They won't be selling what they grow. Tgey will no longer grow anything.Wal-Mart will negotiate tge liwest price in the world for the worst, cheapest, untasty trash they can buy. There is little industry in VN, surely not enough to employ this dispkaced workers, business owners. Big C and all orger major retails will close because they xan not compete with this behemoth. At o e time we had many gocery stores in America. Large store with many locations. But they could not compete w/ Wal-Mart and continue to shutter stores. They have been no good fir Anerica and we can suck some of it up because we have many industries and ampje real estate to have mire industry.
  But I may be wrong, and I hope I am. But I still hope the VNese gov't realuzes who they are selling their soul to!

Sorry but I won't be in HCMC until mid-January, I'm still in Hawaii right now and I will be leaving most of my tools behind (do to the cost of shipping) I'll be slowly replacing them after arriving - a Home Depot would make the process faster and easier.

michaellieptourists wrote:

Is tourism down?
I am concerned for the locals who sell what they make or grow in the markets...

It's been down every month for the past year.

drutter wrote:

Sorry but I won't be in HCMC until mid-January, I'm still in Hawaii right now and I will be leaving most of my tools behind (do to the cost of shipping) I'll be slowly replacing them after arriving - a Home Depot would make the process faster and easier.

No Home Depot. Quality tools at a reasonable price can be hard to find. People here don't do DIY projects like they do in the states.

andy1npl wrote:

expats love to debate about everything...... monkey see monkey do.

"Debate about everything" : Hum I'm afraid  this is the purpose of a FORUM  ... but maybe you didn't know the meaning of that word so i will help you :
Here's the definition of "forum" in English:
noun (plural forums)
1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.Example sentence : we hope these pages act as a forum for debate.                                                                                                                                      1.1 An Internet site where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings; a message board.
Example sentence :
In the meantime,let us know your thoughts in the forum.                                                                                                                                Monkey see monkey do ? precise your thought !

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : inapropriate comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Closed