Motorbike license in Vn

We visit Vn often and sometimes we like to rent a motorcycle, the travel insurance companies will not pay unless you have a 'legal' license for Vn. I have full license for cars, trucks and small motorcycles and IDL. Insurance company says we need Vn license, anybody else had a problem with this?

International driving license should be enough as far as I know. But check it on the web.

Vietnam now accepts International Driving Permits for motor vehicles, including motor bikes. Check with your insurers to see if they also accept IDPs.

Be aware there are two types. I think you need the 1968 one, not 1949.

This is a good point to talk about. I too have come to know Vietnam does not approve IDPs. I am thinking how we will rent a mo'bike in Da Nang.

Vietnam now accepts and issues IDPs.

mal wrote:

This is a good point to talk about. I too have come to know Vietnam does not approve IDPs. I am thinking how we will rent a mo'bike in Da Nang.

i rented a motorbike while in Danang from my hotel. Rode it up and down the beach and by the local traffic cops and they didn't even care look at me. I don't have any type of license or permit in Vietnam. I think it depends on which city you're in. Some are more lax when it comes to dealing with foreigners rolling on 50 cc motorbikes.

Thanks for all your feedback, have discovered that as from 1/1/15, IDP's are acceptable for riding motorcycles, seems to be a well kept secret, similarly Vn nationals with IDP can ride abroad in countries which are part of the 1968 treaty...

That is the 1968 Vienna Convention on road traffic, confirmed by Deputy Director of the VRA, Nguyen Van Quyen, so hopefully we are ok...

Yes, traffic police very rarely stop us westerners, mostly stopping happens if they don't realize that your not local.. Like in my case full face helmet, but then closer they do notice my size ;)

Need to buy two crash helmets, don't know whether to buy them here in Australia with Australian  safety standards or in HCM, I'm guessing they would be a lot cheaper in HCM, how much is the helmet you are wearing WaldO?......

Helmet in the picture is Shark raw, cost about 6-7 million

You can buy helmets many places

Motoworld Vietnam
Tinomotor
Spid.vn
Google or search in Facebook

those raw ones go for about 250 in Australia.

Yes, you can get helmets same price or cheaper outside of Vietnam.

Yogi spotted some local made helmets on sale at Big C for ...........wait for it.........drum roll.......
$4.     Yep for just 4 bucks you'll be done and dusted. 

AND...they come with the Vietnam safety standards stamps stuck on them. 

Selling fast........ya better get there quick.