How to find housing

Hi everyone, my husband and I are interested in moving to DR from NS with our 3 children. We are in the initial stages - just the research phase. We have been to DR as a tourist and loved it, but we both agree that we need to go back and stay off resort and live like a local before making any decisions. Education is important to us, since we have 3 elementary age kids.

We would not be working in DR, so job search is not something that matters to us.

We prefer a rural area, not a city.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a rural area that has a good school system, with access to good health care within a reasonable distance, and fairly close to the ocean?

And how does one find housing? I don't know where to look. We want a house, not an apartment or condo.

Thanks!

Mary Lou  First off welcome.  There is  tons of stuff to read on this forum with lots of good information.

Do note that the more rural you get the less the availability of quality education will be.  Public education here in a word...Sucks. You will be looking at private school for your kids and you find those in more populated areas. 

Also the more rural you get the less security you will have. 

You really need to come for a month or two and explore. It is a large country with lots of choices.   We settled here on the north coast over 9 years ago.  So if you have questions about living in the Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto Plata area do not hesitate to ask

Bob K

As for finding housing you best bet is "boots on the ground".  Secure a hotel for a few days and then explore the area you are interested in. Housing is pretty easy to find you just need to look.

Bob K