New in Mauritius, new on expat-blog

Hi everybody,

I just want to introduce myself to this expat community. My name is Florian and I'm french. As I have been offered a job in Mauritius, in Albion, which I accepted, I am about to arrive on the island (end of the month).

I am pretty eager to meet people there, go out, have fun, do some exercise... whatever ! let me know =)

By the way, I was thinkin about gettin a car or a motorbike, but when I came to Mauritius in July some of my soon to be coworkers told me that a motorbike might not be too much of a great idea considering the local way of drivin ? should I worry ? should I rather go for a car ? wouldn't it be too expensive ?

Anyway,

I hope to hear from you soon,

Florian

Hello Florian :)

Welcome to Expat-blog and to Mauritius.

For social networking, there are meetup every now and then. Keep an update with the forum and events are usually posted.

Motorbike might be fun and pretty practical for traffic congestion but then, according to latest statistics in the news (1 week ago), most fatal accidents are caused by bikers. Driving in Mauritius is better by car.

Such are my thoughts.

Albion, is cool, fisherman village vibe, chilled out but then the island is small and you can easily travel from one place to the other, cover the fully active city scene and back to the beach...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hi Fabian

Welcome to Mauritius ... am sure you will like it

Ce n'est pas difficile de se faire des amis ici, surtout sur ce site :p

Pour la moto je ne peux m'avancer, on avait une kawa 600 et c'est super pour les balades et pour eviter les embouteillages mais des qu'il pleut ce n'est plus aussi agreable - et les motos et les voitures sont plutot cheres et les assurances aussi, donc je te conseille de venir et de te renseigner, je pourrais t'aider pour les points de ventes des motos et aussurances et apres de decider.

File moi un message perso et on pourra s'ecrire par mail.

A bientot

zeina

Hi Zeina,

A kind request: Can you please interact in English  in this Anglophone forum please. If you want to interact in French you can use the Francophone Forum of Mauritius.
_____

Translation of Zeina Message in English by Google Translate

Hi Fabian

Welcome to Mauritius ... am sure you will like it

It is not difficult to make friends here, especially on this site: p

For the bike I can speculate, we had a kawa 600 and it's great for walks and to avoid congestion but it is raining it is not so pleasant - and the bikes and cars are rather expensive and insurance too, so I advise you to come and learn, I could help you to points of sales of motorcycles and isured and after deciding.

Send a personal message and we will be written by mail.

See ya
Zeina "