Moving from Canada (Saskatchewan) to Mexico soon

Hello all,

I am on here to get some advice from some of you that have been down this road before. I am a 36 year old single male moving from SK to a beach village outside of Merida this winter. Why am I moving ? well long story. I got involved with a very good friend of mine who has been developing property in Mexico the past few years. After a couple trips down with him to check out what he was doing, I fell in love with it.
Anyways the reason of me moving is well I have become involved in the business and we are planning some new developments.
I guess what I am looking for help on is any info you can provide me on what to expect, what to bring etc. More importantly I am concerned about health/travel coverage. coming from Saskatchewan my health card insurance has limits of course. What have many of you used? Bluecross? I have quit my previous job so I have zero coverage now. I will need some minor prescriptions like Nexium while in Mexico

is this available over the counter? do I need a prescription from a Mexican Dr?
Also have a question on cellphone plans. I will be bringing my unlocked iPhone 6 with me. Is my best bet to get a local Telcell plan ? I would need some daytime calling, txt, and data.

Thanks for any help you can provide me. The move is coming fast, I am excited and nervous all in one!

Most everything is available over the counter except narcotics, antibiotics and psychiatric drugs.  Seeing a doctor to get a prescription can cost as little as $3.00 USD and maybe as high as $60.  If you are worrying about serious conditions, at age 36, without pre-existing conditions, private insurance should be reasonable.  I don't have more information, I'm over 70.

thank you for the help!